Wardrobe makeover, help me out please!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by qwerty11, Oct 21, 2012.

1. qwerty11

qwerty11 Member

I work in a sudo-business/research environment. There isn't a dress code. Some people will wear jeans and a tee-shirt, while others will wear a blazer. You may see a few people in a suit if they are having to give a presentation. I've been trying to slot my attire to be nicer than the norm, but not over the top. For example, my typical day-to-day attire is either khakis or charcoal slacks with a long sleeve button-up. I'm 25, 6'2" and weigh in around 180lbs.

Everything I own thus far is very bland, so I'm wanting to revamp. I would like the clothes to be dual hatted. IE: I can wear them to work during the week and out with friends on the weekend. I don't want it to be too flashy, but I would like it to be unique enough to to be differentiable from everyone else. Lastly, I would like to stick with one designer/seller. I was thinking about buying everything from Brooks-Brothers.

The temperature where I live ranges from 80-100 in the summer to 20-60 in the winter.

I'm wanting recommendation on shirts, pants, sport coats, shoes, and anything in between.

I've been trolling blogs and what not, but I'm just getting bombarded with tons of different styles. I wish I could find one which fit my direction.

Thanks for the help!

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

3. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Read Styleforum 101

Then, do a few searches of your own on the site.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Bingo.

Anyway, without pictures, location (beyond climate), and some other information, it's half-educated guessing.

Also, don't buy everything from one retailer.

5. Chaos_Cow

Chaos_Cow Well-Known Member

I started to give advice but then I realized that I was just prescribing that you dress like I do. You need to figure out your look yourself. Give it some time - in the interim, make sure you have pants that fit really nicely. Wander around stores sometimes and look at patterns and feel fabrics. If you've only recently become fashion-conscious, you're open to a ton of new information that you may not have been noticing before.

Take it slowly, slowly, slowly before you make any big purchases and be really sure you want something before you buy it. Sleep on it for a week, maybe two, and how the piece will work with your wardrobe. Think about where you're from, what colors look good with your complexion, and what you want to say about yourself with your clothes. And if you ever order anything online, be mentally prepared to return the piece immediately if you don't like it.

What fits well varies from person to person - I don't know how you carry your weight. I'm a similar weight and I keep a ton in my legs so it changes the brands that work for me.

Either way, get away from the idea of being complimented for a particular article of clothing. I got the most "compliments" on the most garish articles of clothing I wore, but that's because they drew attention to themselves. The whole is all that matters. Conservative isn't a bad place to start if everything is well-fitted.

6. qwerty11

qwerty11 Member

So I'm in the US, in the south east. I actually have quite the wardrobe with over a couple hundred shirts, but have always been the guy to walk in a store and just grab things with no real thought. I'm wanting to spend more time thinking about the clothes on the front-end, and less time shopping for them. IE., I would like to find a retailer/designer/ or whatever the right word it is for it, figure out what they sell that fits me, and order everything from them online. I'm not saying I'm going to order a complete wardrobe at once, but long-term it seems to equal significant time savings vs going from store to store, trying on, looking, etc. From looking at BB, it looks like they have good quality, reasonable prices, and a decent return policy. So I was going to stick totally with them. If there are others to consider - I'm all ears.

I want to start with my basic work dress which is pants and a long sleeve button-up tucked in. My thoughts where I would make an initial order of 10 or so shirts, 4 pairs of pants, and two pair of shoes. This time, I want to strategically construct a wardrobe starting with the basics. So if someone could throw some recommendations based on this info I would appreciate it!

7. mensimageconsultant

:wow:

Then doesn't that include enough shirts that already are acceptable for work?

Pants probably could be recommended without pictures, but measurements would be needed. Don't buy black.

There of course are more good stores in the Southeast than just Brooks Brothers, which sells many "bland" items. Also, why not visit and try on things in person before ordering several items over the Internet? Also, it is possible that Brooks Brothers does not carry any shoes that would fit well in this case. Ahem, the shoe size is?

8. Chaos_Cow

Chaos_Cow Well-Known Member

You seem to have enough money to try things on in person. This is supposed to be fun!

Certainly, one of the healthiest things you could do is find a way to get rid of all those shirts, keeping only those that you really, truly like. Maybe pare it down to eight or so. You need to start re-orienting your mindset from just buying clothes to buying things that you really like and make you really happy to wear.

You need to learn to figure out what you really like and then get picky about it. Your wardrobe up to now has been a huge mistake - a hundred shirts and you don't like wearing any of them??? Your mindset is the first thing that needs to change.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed...but 8 seems very extreme. I have 8 graph checks alone. 7 or so stripes. Maybe 12 or so solids or near solids. When you then account for contrast collars, button downs, and fabrics, I think 30-40 is reasonable.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

You just said your current wardrobe is an unfocused mess. This is exactly that same attitude. Start with the basics and move from there. 8 shirts covers the basics very easily.

11. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Sudoku?

You do realize that these two wishes are totally in opposition to each other? Whatever garment makes you stand out during the weekends is sure to be greatly inappropriate in most work settings.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  12. mensimageconsultant

Since it's not a strict or traditional workplace dress environment, that isn't true. "Tastefully different" colors, patterns, and maybe fabrics can accomplish the dual-purpose task. Plus dressing somewhat formal outside of work can be unusual in itself, though that can be good or bad.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think you have me confused with the OP. MY wardrobe is impeccably arranged and focused. Well, my shirts and ties are arranged. Jackets,sweaters, trousers and socks are a mess.

and since the OP will be winnowing down (assuming his hundreds of shirts are acceptable), 8 seems extreme. Though if he starts out with 8, figures out what he likes, and starts reaching into the back of his deep closet for more and more shirts as he gets comfortable, that makes a lot of sense. Eventually, I'd say he should end up with 30-40 shirts in rotation.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:facepalm:

Yes, I did. My apologies!

15. qwerty11

qwerty11 Member

Pseudo sorry!

Some of you guys have started to catch on to the reason why I'm wanting to do this. I've got many clothes, but want to start over and do it right. I'll cull out the shirts I don't like.

Another big reason I'm wanting to start over is like I said I just went into stores and pulled stuff off racks. So most of the shirts don't fit well. I think I would look better in a more trim fitting shirt sense tall and slender. Most of my shirts I've noticed are really puffy around the stomach/sides/back.