• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe for India

rdaws

Reaction score
Gents,

Found out today I'm being transferred to New Delhi from Chicago. Never having been to India (or even lived in a hot climate), I'm at a loss for the wardrobe to bring along. My assumption is that nearly nothing I have will be appropriate (most of what I have is fairly heavy wool, cotton shirts, leather-soled shoes, lined trousers, etc.).

So what would make the perfect India wardrobe, assuming I'm starting from nothing? I'll be working in a business-casual environment with the occasional need for a sportcoat and I'll be spending nearly all my weekends traveling Asia (the transfer is for 6 months, and I want to make the most of the regional availability). Obviously, the goal here is to use your experiences to match the wardrobe to the particulars of the environment... things like cotton trousers because you can't find a drycleaner, dainite shoes 'cause the streets are muddy, etc. rather than a discourse on how to dress for a business casual environment.

Any other tips you can give me for living in India appreciated as well, but for now I just want to fill up the suitcase with things that'll work!

dpopat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdaws
Gents,

Found out today I'm being transferred to New Delhi from Chicago. Never having been to India (or even lived in a hot climate), I'm at a loss for the wardrobe to bring along. My assumption is that nearly nothing I have will be appropriate (most of what I have is fairly heavy wool, cotton shirts, leather-soled shoes, lined trousers, etc.).

So what would make the perfect India wardrobe, assuming I'm starting from nothing? I'll be working in a business-casual environment with the occasional need for a sportcoat and I'll be spending nearly all my weekends traveling Asia (the transfer is for 6 months, and I want to make the most of the regional availability). Obviously, the goal here is to use your experiences to match the wardrobe to the particulars of the environment... things like cotton trousers because you can't find a drycleaner, dainite shoes 'cause the streets are muddy, etc. rather than a discourse on how to dress for a business casual environment.

Any other tips you can give me for living in India appreciated as well, but for now I just want to fill up the suitcase with things that'll work!

India is big. Where in India? When? Climate changes drastically. If you're going in August, bring 50 rainjackets and umbrellas and no suede or leather 'cause it rains cats and dogs (or cows).

Regardless of where you go, if you are not accustomed to spicy food, prepare for the *****.

rdaws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpopat
India is big. Where in India? When? Climate changes drastically. If you're going in August, bring 50 rainjackets and umbrellas and no suede or leather 'cause it rains cats and dogs (or cows).

Regardless of where you go, if you are not accustomed to spicy food, prepare for the *****.

New Delhi, January -> July.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Paging aj_del.

afterglow

Reaction score
You're lucky New Delhi is a bit more comfortable weather-wise than other places like Mumbai. That being said, it'll still feel like an oven from April onwards as will much of Asia.

My suggestions: linen & poplin shirts, linen trousers, cotton chinos, wicking undershirts & underwear, summerweight blazer, possibly loafers instead of oxfords. If you wear a watch with a strap, change the strap out for a bracelet or get a waterproof strap. Start carrying handkerchiefs.

rdaws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by afterglow
You're lucky New Delhi is a bit more comfortable weather-wise than other places like Mumbai. That being said, it'll still feel like an oven from April onwards as will much of Asia.

My suggestions: linen & poplin shirts, linen trousers, cotton chinos, wicking undershirts & underwear, summerweight blazer, possibly loafers instead of oxfords. If you wear a watch with a strap, change the strap out for a bracelet or get a waterproof strap. Start carrying handkerchiefs.

Ah, then a related question - is it a bad idea to run around Asia with an expensive watch? Would I be better served by a Timex than a Rolex?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its quite cold in January and very hot in July.

Regarding what to wear, normal office wear should suit you fine. Cotton shirts (preferably non iron) and lightweight trousers. I got some tropical weight trousers from Howard Yount and they are fine here.

Regarding shoes, the normal shoes you wear to your office. Really didnt understand the reluctance to wear leather soled shoes here. I wear them all the time.

regarding linen, hardly anyone besides politicians wear linen here. By teh time you get to your office, you would look as if you slept in the office. Your office would be AC, your car would be AC and your residence would be AC, etc.

Dont worry so much ... I assume you would be working out of a full AC building in Gurgaon / Noida or somewhere.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

This is crazy............I made the EXACT same move from Chicago to New Delhi for a 2-year stint from 2002-2004 (for work also).

Here's what I did, also starting from scratch:

* stocked up on BR chinos, about 5 pairs in different colors (Old Navy would be better in retrospect, they'll be washed very roughly and put to the test, so the cheaper the better)
* bought about 4 cotton button down/OCBD shirts (also from Gap/BR, don't recall exactly)
* bought about 4 linen shirts from BR
* bought 2 pairs of flip flops (they will get lost, stolen, or worn out - trust me!)
* brought a few shorts, t-shirts, etc. for evenings and weekends
* brought 1 pair of slacks I already had
* brought 1 navy blue sport coat
* brought 1 pair of sneakers
* brought 1 pair of "dress" shoes from BR (they actually made decent shoes back then)
* brought extra undershirts, underwear, etc. as you will find yourself bathing often (twice a day)
* brought a winter coat and a couple sweaters as New Delhi gets very cold overnight for about 45-60 days starting in December. It gets down to the freezing mark overnights and most residential buildings don;t have insulation the way we do here. Not sure where your firm is putting you up, but I would look into obtaining a space heater ASAP.

In general, don't bring anything that would need dry-cleaning or what you consider your nicer stuff. The environment there is quite dusty and clothes will get dirty often. Since you're going over the winter, you need a winter coat as it gets to be very cold at night.

Not sure what your social preferences are, but you might want to bring a couple outfits for perhaps hitting up a lounge/bar or two (jeans and a dress shirt).

I could go on and on, but I think I covered the basics. Out of curiosity, what type of work do you do?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quit/Resign.

You are going to fuking India dude. Indians are coming here dude.

devil.gif

dbc

Reaction score
Ah, then a related question - is it a bad idea to run around Asia with an expensive watch? Would I be better served by a Timex than a Rolex?
Again...depends which part of Asia. In Singapore, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc- I don't see no reason why you should worry at all.

IronRock

Reaction score
Would you wear a Rolex in NYC? Same applies in New Dehli and other Asian cities. If you find yourself in an area that makes your ass contract then you need to hide the Rolex.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
plain.gif
Take the Rolex - you're going to a major international city, not the outskirts of Timbuktu.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads