• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe Basics (I Tried)

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
Im 18 and moving off to college soon, and I want a more adult or cleaner look, after I loose all my weight which Im working on right now I plan to go to Atlanta and go on a shopping spree and I was making a list ahead of time. Im just wanting to get a good foundation as Im throwing ALL of my clothes out once I hit my goal weight. I was looking for causal but also alittle dressy. Also Ill be by the beach and the city so most will wear are beaching and clubbing clothes. Heres what Ive come up with:

Under Garments:

04 Gray Undershirts
04 White Undershirts
04 Black Undershirts

14 White Boxer Briefs
14 Black Boxer Briefs

07 White Anckle Socks
07 Black Anckle Socks

Outter Wear:

01 Red Hoodie
01 Blue Hoodie
01 White Hoodie
01 Black Hoodie

01 Red Track Jacket
01 Blue Track Jacket
01 White Track Jacket
01 Black Track Jacket

01 White Leather Jacket
01 Black Leather Jacket

01 Black Belt

Tops:

01 Red Dress Shirt
01 Blue Dress Shirt
01 White Dress Shirt
01 Black Dress Shirt

01 Red Track Shirts
01 Blue Track Shirts
01 White Track Shirts
01 Black Track Shirts

02 Red Polo Shirts
02 Blue Polo Shirts
02 White Polo Shirts
02 Black Polo Shirts

05 Red Plain T Shirts
05 Blue Plain T Shirts
05 White Plain T Shirts
05 Black Plain T Shirts

Bottoms:

04 Jeans
04 Cargo Shorts
02 Gray Dress Pants
02 Black Dress Pants
02 Khaki Dress Pants

01 Red Track Shorts
01 Blue Track Shorts
01 White Track Shorts
01 Black Track Shorts

01 Red Track Pants
01 Blue Track Pants
01 White Track Pants
01 Black Track Pants

Shoes:

01 Red Pumas
01 Blue Pumas
01 Black Pumas
01 White Pumas
01 Neutral Pumas
01 Black Dress Shoes

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
Any thoughts or opinons or redos? I did the best I could. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe some brown dress shoes...

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you on a freaking track team or something? I don't think any of those clothes sound mature. I'd drop lots of the track things, and get more sweaters, cardigans, dressier shoes, brown leather jacket, peacoat.

SightseeMC

Reaction score
If any of the truly stylish men here have advice, take theirs over mine. Assuming the preponderance of track clothes are for actual exercise as well as clubbing, I would make a few changes to the rest of the wardrobe.

Halve the underwear, at least. A month's worth of underwear will tempt you to not do laundry for say, oh, a month. You really only need maybe 10, but 14 is 2 weeks worth and won't take up a ton of space. Your lady friends will appreciate there not being a mound of 20+ pairs of dirty underwear at your place.

Add a brown belt, or make the black belt reversible. Add them to amerika's brown dress shoes.

I would ditch the white leather jacket. I ran night clubs for about 10 years until a year ago, so I know the scene; to be polite, there's no good look I can think of that includes a white leather jacket. But to each their own. Still: add a real coat...it gets chilly sometimes everywhere.

Finally, I would try to avoid the complete matching track shirts/pants/shoes thing when out doing anything, clubbing or exercising. Get a pair of good exercise shoes and two pairs of pumas (I like your choice in sneaker) in neutral tones, and one pair of mocks/low boots/whatever to wear every day. Shoes get worn out fast, and you'll want your pumas and dress shoes to look decent when you need them. You'll look slightly more put together if you don't sport the Grranimals 1-color wardrobe. And while track suits may a hip thing, do note that the one thing track gear does *not* say about someone is "adult." Try buying a couple of dress shirts that you can wear unbuttoned over neutral Tees with jeans/khakis. That's standard American nightlife wear, with a little more versatility.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
Are you on a freaking track team or something?
+1 What with the numbering and regimented colouring, it sounds like you're buying uniforms for Soviet spies or robots or something. Not to be harsh, but I think you should consider the services of a personal shopper: you need more help than the Internet can provide.
confused.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get the minimum for going off to school, since your taste and body shape could change fast.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend NOT investing in a month's worth of underwear--credit goes to SightSee. Approximately 14-15 days should be sufficient to avoid frequent trips to the laundry room without amassing a floor full of stinky clothes. Realistically, I found that a fresh supply of laundry prior to my reading period and finals was important. Aside from those 10-14 days, laundry was never a huge problem.

I have never worn a track jacket. Hoodies for casual affaris, sweaters or sport coats for everything else... even in college.

An OCBD or plain blue oxfrord dress shirt with flat front khakis is sufficient for almost all business/academic situations in college. Those brown dress shoes, even a pair of Kenneth Coles, are indepensible for the same casual/formal role.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the only "basics"
are underwear
and plain t shirts in a bunch of different colors
as for everything else ..its not really planned and you just build your wardrobe overtime

fatty

Reaction score
clothes shouldn't be chosen because they are a primary colour. It makes everything you wear look the same.

track clothing should be worn when doing sport. that's about it.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Start with some good shoes. They are extremely important and will be where your money will go when you start out. This is an area where you really can't take shortcuts. Look for Alden or Allen Edmonds to get you started. They will be the foundations upon which you will build. Get a couple of pairs of Bill's Kakhis for casual wear, and a couple OCBD shirts from Brooks Brothers. Next look for a good odd jacket that you like. Go to Nordstroms and add a pair of Zanella pants a season or so (when you have the means). Once you find your look, check for online deals and ebay to see if you can get a bit more purchasing power.

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
I updated alittle but Im still kinda lost also what colors would be good too

Also Ill be by the beach and the city so most will wear are beaching and clubbing clothes. Heres what Ive come up with:

Under Garments:

04 Gray Undershirts
04 White Undershirts
04 Black Undershirts

07 White Boxer Briefs
07 Black Boxer Briefs

07 White Anckle Socks
07 Black Anckle Socks

Outter Wear:

0? Hoodies
0? Other Jackets (If you watch smallville I wasnted something like the red jacket or blue jacket clark is always wearing) (Ill find a pic)
01 Black Leather Jacket

01 Black Belt
01 Brown Belt

Tops:

0? Dress Shirt

0? Polo Shirts

0? Plain T Shirts

0? Gym Shirts

Bottoms:

04 Jeans
04 Cargo Shorts
02 Gray Dress Pants
02 Black Dress Pants
02 Khaki Dress Pants

01 Gym Shorts

01 Gym Pants

Shoes:

01 Black Pumas
01 White Pumas
01 Neutral Pumas
01 Brown Dress Shoes
01 Black Dress Shoes

Frittata

Reaction score
please....don't buy clothes like an engineering process...
go and buy a mens fashion magazine and try to imagine yourself in some of the stuff....after a while a sort of feeling for the right styling will evolve....
if you don't like this route, then go to a good and cheap retailer like H&M or Zara
and ask someone from the staff to help you out

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to go ahead and post a list from another forum... Yes, it's more vintage oriented but it can easily be modified as a modern college wardrobe as well... It also reads as much more "adult" and thus would be a better place to start with and change to your tastes...

1 wool tweed cap
2 fedoras 1 grey 1 brown
1 wool scarf
1 overcoat
1 raincoat
2 patterned sport coats 1 Brown 1 blue
1 navy blazer
1 grey suit
2 sweater vests 1 solid 1 patterned
10 dress shirts 4 white 6 patterned and colored
15 ties some wool some silk must have 1 school tie.
4 pair wool dress trousers 1 in grey flannel
4 pair casual trousers... khakis... linen
2 belts leather 1 black 1 brown
3 pair dress shoes 1 brown and 1 black 1 with rubber soles for comfort
2 pair pajamas
1 pair slippers
1 terry cloth robe
1 umbrella
6 white handkerchiefs

Lots of socks and underwear

For the athlete

2 pair cotton sweats in grey
1 pair gym shoes, canvas and rubber in black or white

for the I'm not always old school days

ballcaps
Various t-shirts
jeans
sneakers
sunglasses
casual button shirts
windbreaker
leather jacket
sweats
school sweater
*note how sporty/casual clothing isnt given much emphasis...Go with your tastes not different colors.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're taking things way too fast. Shopping sprees can be fun, but in the end it might be better to take things slow and phase out your wardrobe over a season or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads