War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by dusty, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

What did you guys think?

Also, what was Tom Cruise's character (a dockworker) doing wearing PDCs and an Omega?

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

The average union dock-worker probably makes more than the average attorney.

3. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

I liked the movie until the end. It was OK, it just seemed kind of abrupt to me.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I didn't really like it, and here's why. If I wanted to watch an hour and fourty minutes of Tom Cruise yelling at kids, I'd stalk him when he takes Katie Holmes to the Scientology center. If I wanted to watch twenty minutes of Tom Cruise hiding in a basement with weirdos, I'd go to the Christmas party at Brooke Shields' house. If I wanted to watch aliens dying of some terrible unknown brain disease, I'd watch that one episode of Oprah. [​IMG] Yes, this episode of Oprah. Seriously, its about as bland a movie about alien invasion as I've ever seen. I mean, at least Signs had some side-plot action about Mel Gibson's dead wife and his brother and god. This is just Tom Cruise running around and hiding, being one of the only survivors of attack after attack, and then being cool enough to blow up a "tripod" with some grenades in the alien ships "anus". Then the biggest RIP OFF of the movie is that his stupid son survives, when he is CLEARLY a moron and everyone hates him. Wait for the video... (or Armageddon)

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

SPOILERS Horace - I know (did you see that news story a year or so back about CA dockmen making over $100k? Insane.), but I doubt they spend it on designer jeans. Slim - you are right on the money. Spielberg was constantly trying to be suspenseful - and constantly failing. And it was ridiculous that the son survived. I was waiting for Tom Cruise to wake up at that point. EDIT: And he killed Tim Robbins's character. WTF.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

On dockworkers: I don't begrudge them making a good living.

I thought Signs did have some substance to it -- so I agree with T-Slim.

Spielberg -- what to say? -- nothing significant.

I'm just so creeped out by the recent events surrounding Cruise that I don't think I can suspend disbelief needed to watch a film without thinking here's this insane weirdo....etc...etc..

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I saw the flick last night. Maybe just maybe Cruise's bat-shit antics offstage were designed to lower expectations because I thought it was one of his better films and very entertaining. Now I want to pick up the Edward Gorey-illustrated version of the Wells novel to see how it reads.

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

fyi, if you're going to have a spoiler alert, you need to put it more than one line above the actual spoiler.

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

It was just a formality - Slim had already dropped the same spoilers in his post [​IMG]

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

War of the Worlds = typical American 2-hour break from his/her mind (i.e. the war on terror, thoughts about new shoes). Just another summer in the United States.

A much better film--"Time of the Wolf"--follows a family's difficult journey immediately after an unknown apocalyptic event. Director Michael Haneke never tells us what happened, or where, or when, but instead puts us directly into the terrifying aftermath, with all of its confusion, uncertainty, and danger. As all social laws and codes are suddenly overturned, Haneke asks us to find our own way through.

A bit too subtle for American audiences, perhaps.

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

America hater. Damn liberal elitist.

-- JRman (RJman's evil twin)

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Yeah I guess I should have said something...

But the movies sucks, so I didn't really care.

13. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

And what about the daughter? Usually it takes a lot of torture to produce that much nueroses in one so young. Showed great parenting......

14. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

I hope no one actually paid for this movie: the accepted method of attending WOTW is to pay for Bewitched, and then sneak into Batman or WOTW, as punishment for the Cruise/Holmes marketing campaign.