1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: BMW repair cost horror stories...

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Reevolving, May 17, 2010.

1. acecow

acecow Senior member

I may be selling my '08 335xi with manual transmission, if anybody's interested. Fully loaded and well taken care of.

Can't add anything to the topic of discussion, as it's my first BMW and still under warranty. And whoever said a Nissan is more reliable - no shit! But I still prefer to drive a BMW.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

...and I just totaled my formally pristine 1984 325. Oh well, hello Mini.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

+1

4. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

...and I just totaled my formally pristine 1984 325. Oh well, hello Mini.

Yikes, my neighbor growing up had a pristine 85 325i convertible. Had it till about 4 years ago, then it went backwards into an on ramp guard rail.

Beautiful car it was.

5. flyingjohn

flyingjohn New Member

auto repair
    I have to go get new front tires for my 3 series. I guess it was my fault for never having them rotated; I just assumed the BMW service center would do that for me when it was necessary during my periodic oil changes and service work (my first car, so I now know better). Over $500 for two of those RFT, plus installation. Also need to replace the front bumper in order to reinstall a displaced fog lamp from a run-in with a raccoon this past winter. They quoted me at $1,200 for that. My warranty expired last month too, so hopefully they won't find something else that needs fixing. I have less than 50k miles on it; still runs like new.

I live in phoenix now and the stealerships out here charge so much just for the badge its crazy

6. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

This is the most annoying thing about my 2003 3-series (happens with all models)...

The electronic windows fail routinely. I go to a mechanic that specializes in euro-cars and he replaces 2-3 of these a week. The way he explained it, a component breaks and causes the glass to slip off the track.

It costs about $200 for the part and anywhere from $50-100 for the labor depending on which window it is. I've replaced the front drivers side once, the front passenger side twice and a rear passenger side once.

7. phreak

phreak Senior member

This is the most annoying thing about my 2003 3-series (happens with all models)... The electronic windows fail routinely. I go to a mechanic that specializes in euro-cars and he replaces 2-3 of these a week. The way he explained it, a component breaks and causes the glass to slip off the track. It costs about $200 for the part and anywhere from $50-100 for the labor depending on which window it is. I've replaced the front drivers side once, the front passenger side twice and a rear passenger side once.
    Maybe you should take it to a dealership because it shouldn't keep breaking.... I took mine in (under warranty still) because the window wasn't riding smoothly and was leaving bad streaks in the tint. It looked like it was about to tear the tint in places. They replaced the entire window motor/unit thing and hasn't been a problem since.

8. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

2001 bmw 323ci - 95k miles - transmission gave up. would go in reverse no other gear. (auto)

dealer stated it was a common problem - apparently GM made the transmissions, had to sell the car, cause the cost of doing a transmission swap wasn't worth the time/effort.

9. rocks

rocks Senior member

This is the most annoying thing about my 2003 3-series (happens with all models)...

The electronic windows fail routinely. I go to a mechanic that specializes in euro-cars and he replaces 2-3 of these a week. The way he explained it, a component breaks and causes the glass to slip off the track.

It costs about $200 for the part and anywhere from $50-100 for the labor depending on which window it is. I've replaced the front drivers side once, the front passenger side twice and a rear passenger side once.

I buy the window regulator for less than 100 bucks (oem) and install it myself, very easy. So far 3 have been replaced on my car. Thus you are paying too much for the part.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

The 3-series window regulator breakage is actually a little tab breaking off a plastic part. If you feel ghetto, it can be replaced with a zip tie with no difference in performance.

--Andre

11. jim_n

jim_n Senior member

My friend was just telling me how his check engine light on his M3 e46 never goes out. He takes it to the dealer they charge him a few hundred and it comes back on within a couple days or driving. He's been in and out 3 or 4 times now and they never seem to fix the problem. Clearing the pcm, reflashing, replacing sensors, nothing seems to work. Not many independents want to work on it either. He's going to email me a list of codes so we can try and tackle it ourselves. probably in over our heads though. Anyone else have check engine light issues??

12. phreak

phreak Senior member

Mine has been on for the past month. The code it gave me was something about running lean and I'm 80% sure it's an o2 sensor that is faulty. I'm not gonna mess with it until next time I'm already under the car. Nothing really can get worse and unless I want peak performance running slightly lean is not even a bad thing. In fact, I may see better gas mileage as a result

13. spertia

spertia Senior member

I've heard that these cars are pretty notorious for having "sensitive" check-engine lights. The light has intermittently been on with both of my BMWs over the years, even though there haven't been any serious problems or malfunctions with either vehicle.

14. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

Hit a curb in a 335xi two weeks ago while dodging a deer. Effed the frontside suspension, came out to a cool $7k.

15. HeRVy

HeRVy New Member

Everytime mi Mercedes goes to the mechanic it cost me about $1000

It fails once a year more or less...

My other car, a Subaru, is more reliable

Next time gonna buy Lexus

16. rocks

rocks Senior member

Am I the only one with an older bimmer that is trouble-free? In the last 4 years my check engine came on once and that was for a thermostat that was stuck opened. Had the code read at autozone for free and replaced the thermostat myself and it was gone. The only other lights that have popped up in my dash is bulb out warning when they fail and the oil pressure sensor when that failed. 124k as of today and still hauls, maybe it's because I let it rip everyday. Then again, that's not it, there are others with E46 Non M's that have surpassed 300k miles and still running strong.

17. slider07

slider07 Well-Known Member

I have a 2002 325i with 76k miles on it (mostly my wife's car and she works from home, hence the low mileage). I have had very few problems - mostly a couple of electrical issues with the tail lights which was an easy fix. Great car - replaced tires and battery and had regular maintenance and that's it. Still feels great to drive though of course it lacks the power of the newer cars.

I have found it to be highly reliable and fun to drive. Not as much fun as the e46 M3 I had for a time - that was a blast.