• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: black slim-fit jacket with zip-through stand-up collar

Free Spirit

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am looking for a short, black slim-fit jacket with zip-through stand-up collar like the one worn by Derek Ogilvie (the Scottish ghost and baby whisperer) during his tours. The collar is rather high. The jacket has elastic material at the end of the sleeves, at the bottom of the jacket and the collar might be the same material. I'm not too sure about the fabric of the rest of the jacket. Could be cotton or cotton/polyester or even 100% polyester. Could be corduroy, too. Particular style, maybe even related to a certain style of music. Seems a bit retro, too (seventies), but I suppose it's a new jacket. A bit underground. This type of jacket might be British, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have an idea what type of jacket I am looking for? Does anyone have a picture so I can verify? Do you know of any brands that have similer jackets?

I'm doing my best to find a photo that approaches the jacket I'm looking for. Here's one:

WJBLK.jpg

This is a jacket for women, however, and I'm looking for one for men. The collar should be higher and zip-through.

Here's another one:

http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...300&height=300

Similar model, but this one's for women, too, and the collar isn't stand-up. Zipper should be white metal.

Or this one:

e42d12b2e074cb0881616de60342a443.jpg

The type/model is really what it should be, but this one is way too sporty. I'm looking for a more classical model. It's mainly the fabric that is not right. Should be cotton or cotton/polyester or even corduroy. Zipper should be white metal.

Or this one:

http://www.ukshoptilludrop.co.uk/enl...px?awimg=78610

The model is quite fine, but again this one lacks the stand-up zip-through collar.

Or this one:

http://www.ukshoptilludrop.co.uk/enl...px?awimg=78745

Nice model but wrong fabric and the stand-up collar is somewhat too short and not zip-through.

mx-0204k.jpg

Nice model. Colour should be black instead of grey. Nice stand-up collar, but I'm not sure whether it's zip-through. Collar could a bit higher, too. Should be thinner on the wrists like the jackets on the other photos.

Similar to below model, but with a different 'style', less sporty, more underground:

hh-0544k.jpg

I'll continue looking for a better photo.

Thanks a lot!

Jimmy

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about a Harrington jacket? Several companies make them, but probably the definitive one to get is made by Baracuta. And it looks like they're having a sale on a few of their things too.

Free Spirit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Are you talking about a Harrington jacket? Several companies make them, but probably the definitive one to get is made by Baracuta. And it looks like they're having a sale on a few of their things too.

I had a look at the sites provided by stores selling Harrington jackets. I must admit that some of them resemble the jacket I'm looking for, but they don't seem "raw" enough to me (like the ones on the four photos). I'm looking for something more "underground", if you know what I mean. If the jacket on the first photo had a high zip-through collar, this could be it.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Free Spirit
I had a look at the sites provided by stores selling Harrington jackets. I must admit that some of them resemble the jacket I'm looking for, but they don't seem "raw" enough to me (like the ones on the four photos). I'm looking for something more "underground", if you know what I mean. If the jacket on the first photo had a high zip-through collar, this could be it.

I can't say for sure what defines your sense of "raw." Maybe try one of the Belstaff blousons.

Free Spirit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I can't say for sure what defines your sense of "raw." Maybe try one of the Belstaff blousons.

c2b1d02c0c15b200c5dfd3cdebd9ffc0.jpg

Yes, this Belstaff blouson is similar, too. Model is fine. Slim-fit, stand-up zip-through collar, but somewhat too sporty. I'm looking for the same model, but a bit more fashionable, a bit more stylish. Maybe just a different fabric. And the zipper is white metal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics