• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to up the look, but still in college

JustADude

Reaction score
I've been really trying to update myself in terms of both body and clothing recently. While I like the white and blue oxford shirts, and the more "business casual" look, as a 20 year old college student, it does seem to come off as a little trying to hard, and looks a little silly. In addition, I go to a school near a beach, so it's generally shorts and short sleeve weather the entire year

Is there any way to really hit this in-between zone of dressing nice but not looking too much like I'm trying too hard to be mature? I know things like polos, and non-cargo shorts, but otherwise I'm kind of clueless.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been really trying to update myself in terms of both body and clothing recently. While I like the white and blue oxford shirts, and the more "business casual" look, as a 20 year old college student, it does seem to come off as a little trying to hard, and looks a little silly. In addition, I go to a school near a beach, so it's generally shorts and short sleeve weather the entire year

Is there any way to really hit this in-between zone of dressing nice but not looking too much like I'm trying too hard to be mature? I know things like polos, and non-cargo shorts, but otherwise I'm kind of clueless.

Light weight sport coat (linen silk blend -- light wool,etc) -- slim fitting denim -- casual button down, tie it together with some nice shoes.

Check out the brand Gant. Will likely fit your needs.

Last edited:

JustADude

Reaction score
Light weight sport coat (linen silk blend -- light wool,etc) -- slim fitting denim -- casual button down, tie it together with some nice shoes.

Check out the brand Gant. Will likely fit your needs.

Thanks! I like a lot of what I see there, but maybe need a little more help narrowing down what qualifies as a casual button down, (especially on this site :) ) . I like the look of the Yale Oxford Casual, but without seeing them in person, I'm not sure if they're less casual or not.

Also, as I'm on a students budget, are there any cheaper places? I'll pay for quality, but I feel like $120 a shirt is a little on the upper end.

As for shoes, what would be a good direction to go in?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the flow and do not try to set yourself as something above your fellow students. When you get a job is the time to experiment with a broader range of clothes.

JustADude

Reaction score
Its not that I'm going against the flow, its that I know I can do a little more to be presentable. More mild changes rather than a full-blown, pocket-square wearing fiend :p

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks! I like a lot of what I see there, but maybe need a little more help narrowing down what qualifies as a casual button down, (especially on this site :) ) . I like the look of the Yale Oxford Casual, but without seeing them in person, I'm not sure if they're less casual or not.

Also, as I'm on a students budget, are there any cheaper places? I'll pay for quality, but I feel like $120 a shirt is a little on the upper end.

As for shoes, what would be a good direction to go in?
You can try Rugby, H&M, Gap or J Crew.

Any cotton oxford and or casual button down would be fine. Start with staple colors like white and sky blue. Pair those with a navy sport coat and some slim fit Levis 511 jeans. Regular wash is fine.

Shoes? Meermins would be a great option for you. Perhaps a nice oxford in suede.

Here is a sample look for you:
Shoes:http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1927
Jeans: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11587057&
White Shirt: http://www.hm.com/us/product/98836?article=98836-A

Find yourself a reasonably priced navy sportcoat/blazer for when you go out and you are dressed better than 99% of your peers.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Emphasize colorful shirt pattens, such as green-on-white checks, to distinguish the look from business casual. Don't wear an odd jacket or blazer unless going to or from a job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads