• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to switch over to a double bladed saftey razor

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a good double bladed safety razor that will last, but not cost an arm and a leg? I want to keep the razor's cost under $40, but will spend more if it's a set with shave brush and holder for them.

Thoughts?

imhotep

Reaction score
merkur HD 33C or 34C seems to be the unanimous answer

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1. I've got a 34c, although I actually feel like it's a little too petit. Check out Badger and Blade and youtube mantic59's videos.
There are probably 2-3 top recomended ones, with the Merkur HD 34 in the mix.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll check those out.

Also should I even look into a shaving set that includes the brush, razor and stand, or put all the pieces together individually? I have a small brush that I got in a trial kit from Art of Shaving, but I want to get a bigger one and I do need a stand.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger brush is often recommended as a great value brush, and can often be found on sale in their stores for <$30 IIRC. I've had one for a while and have had no issues with it.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I had a few different cheap-o DE razors when I lived overseas. I used them because they were what was available. When I came back to the USA (land of free/home of brave) I went back to whatever the current popular razor was. That was when I realized the power of the double edge safety.

While something like a Merkur Futur might be easy to work with, the end all be all in close ******* DE shave is:

Merkur Hefty Classic Slant

Once you learn not to slice your face off, you'll get the best, fastest, closest shave with this motherfucker. Don't be a ******. Get this razor.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
I had a few different cheap-o DE razors when I lived overseas. I used them because they were what was available. When I came back to the USA (land of free/home of brave) I went back to whatever the current popular razor was. That was when I realized the power of the double edge safety.

While something like a Merkur Futur might be easy to work with, the end all be all in close ******* DE shave is:

Merkur Hefty Classic Slant

Once you learn not to slice your face off, you'll get the best, fastest, closest shave with this motherfucker. Don't be a ******. Get this razor.

Well would the Merkur Hefty Classic Slant be a good razor for a DE Safety razor virgin? I heard there is a learning curve and I don't wanna "slice my face off."
lol8[1].gif

hedgehog

Reaction score
+1 on the 34c. It's a nice razor that does its job as it's supposed to, and the price is just under $40 (on amazon at least). Well worth it!

My experience with DE's is limited to the 34c, some cheap lightweight razors and the Gillette Fat Boy. Compared to the Fat Boy, the 34c is a lot easier and more comfortable to use. And of course much better than a cheap plastic handle-razor.

I haven't tried the Futur, but I'm sure it's nice. But for starting out, I think you'll be satisfied with the 34c for a while.

Mr T

Reaction score
Another vote for Merkur 34C. I have several razors (some vintage) but reach for that one 90% of the time.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have one DE;
The 34C. The rest
are all straight razors.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would suggest buying a mix pack of blades though as different blades work for different people with different creams/soaps... I think westcoastshaving.com sample pack K is the one if I remember correctly, about $15 for 5x5blades.

As for a "set", the ones I've seen are usually a little overpriced and unnecisary. The "razor" is jsut a fancy handle to attache your mach 3 head to, the stand I geuss is pretty but not necisary, and the brush, well you might as well cherry pick the one you want. i've got the C&E Best Badger, also no complaints. I think it's a good starter, although if you're willing to go from $30 up to more like $50 you might get something even nicer. I think overall AOS is a bit overpriced, but their set of brush (the big one), tub of cream, and mach3 handle (maybe a holder too) is a pretty solid start that will keep you going for a while.
Otherwise, check ebay for Taylor's of Bond Street creams, get some Avocado or Rose or something for $15 shipped or Proraso from your local supermarket and go from there.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP the advice given to you on the razors is sound, but I'd advise against getting a set and put together your own instead. Also, welcome fellow Browncoat!

edit: I don't like the sets because often times you'll get rather inferior stuff and pay more as opposed to putting together your own. For brushes I'd recommend Shavemac from Germany.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I would suggest buying a mix pack of blades though as different blades work for different people with different creams/soaps... I think westcoastshaving.com sample pack K is the one if I remember correctly, about $15 for 5x5blades.

As for a "set", the ones I've seen are usually a little overpriced and unnecisary. The "razor" is jsut a fancy handle to attache your mach 3 head to, the stand I geuss is pretty but not necisary, and the brush, well you might as well cherry pick the one you want. i've got the C&E Best Badger, also no complaints. I think it's a good starter, although if you're willing to go from $30 up to more like $50 you might get something even nicer. I think overall AOS is a bit overpriced, but their set of brush (the big one), tub of cream, and mach3 handle (maybe a holder too) is a pretty solid start that will keep you going for a while.
Otherwise, check ebay for Taylor's of Bond Street creams, get some Avocado or Rose or something for $15 shipped or Proraso from your local supermarket and go from there.

Well their are double edge straight razor "sets." I wouldn't buy one that is a fancy handle for a Mach 3.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but part of the reason for a set like that is to have something to hold your brush upside down when not in use. I have read in several places that it's important to do so (not 100% sure why?) so I was thinking along those lines. I know they have individual brush holders, but the idea of something to hold my razor too seems nice.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
OP the advice given to you on the razors is sound, but I'd advise against getting a set and put together your own instead. Also, welcome fellow Browncoat!

edit: I don't like the sets because often times you'll get rather inferior stuff and pay more as opposed to putting together your own. For brushes I'd recommend Shavemac from Germany.

Alright I will buy all my stuff piece by piece. At this point I am excited to get a DE straight razor if just for the long term cost savings over something like a Mach 3.

Shiny.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DE's and straights are two different things. Also, a brush stand is nice, but not necessary. Your brush will dry just fine if you flick the water out, and lightly buff it against a towel or something before setting it down on the counter. Capillary action will ensure it will dry just fine sitting on the handle with its bristles in the air.

Getting a sample pack of razor blades is a great idea though. Because different blades work differently for different faces, ya dig?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads