• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to lose some stomach fat

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
It was one of the funniest remarks I've ever seen here; easily in the top 10. You da man, Lefty!

I dont see how it can be one of the funniest remarks seen here or anywhere else. If you honestly think so, this must be the first time you are here or you live in a cave or something.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So long as you are eating less than you burn per day, you'll lose weight no matter what routine you do or don't do. I don't think you can target any body part to remove fat anyway, it comes off in layers like an onion. I just don't have the patience for a treadmill or exercise bike. Why not jump rope instead, or better yet, try a circuit containing burpees and mountain climbers?
Originally Posted by heresiarh
Just recently I started going to the gym in order to lose stomach fat. I'm 6 feet, and 168Lbs(male). I only gain weight around the stomach area. My routine is to eat normally like I've always done. I don't really eat ***** and fried foods, maybe once in a while. I keep it simple. Probably a very balanced 2000-2200 calorie diet. At the gym I walk for an hour on the treadmill. 1-10 minutes at 3.7mph 10-20 minutes at 3.9mph 20-40 minutes at 4.0mph 40-60 minutes 4.2mph with variation of 2.0 to 5.0 incline. Normal 5 minutes stretching. And then 15 minutes of light to medium weights .... I don't want to bulk up, but just lightly toned. I've been working out for about a month now. Every week I do a new routine. For e.g sometimes I run + walk. Sometimes I do treadmill, bicycling And yes, running gives me shin splits so I'm keeping that at minimum until I strengthen my muscles in the shin area. Do I need to add anything to the routine?

heresiarh

Reaction score
Alright, the only reason I don't run is because I get really bad shin splits. So I'm working on that for now by doing stretch exercises and what not. And yes I used to play dynamite soccer in college and run a lot. But that was 6 years ago. However, even in school/college, I never did any kind of gym activity.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry I missed that. I'd not do the burpees then heh.

You may want to look into yoga. Power Yoga/Ashtanga practitioners frequently get their heart rates up to the equivalent of that of a marathon run during their routines.

beasty

Reaction score
Alright, the only reason I don't run is because I get really bad shin splits. So I'm working on that for now by doing stretch exercises and what not. And yes I used to play dynamite soccer in college and run a lot. But that was 6 years ago. However, even in school/college, I never did any kind of gym activity.

See! Lefty, see! Thats what happens when you open your yap. You end up putting your foot in it. As usual. And you Grayland, how funny you lefty now? Both of you should stand in the corner, feeling ashamed of yourselves.

heresiarh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Your WO is more or less what the average woman does in the gym: mild cardio and some light weights. If you have an anemic WO you'll have anemic results. Adding some bullshit energy and resistance work and not changing your diet is pretty much a waste of time.

Now if your goal is to be as small as possible, then start starve yourself and increase the cardio tenfold. You'll soon drop the 10 lbs of fat around your gut. You'll be skinny as ****, but maybe that's what you're after.

However, if you'd like to look "toned" you'd be well served to drop the cardio and find a decent weight program to add 15 lbs of muscle or so. My guess is that you'll drop a few lbs of fat also. I think that may be the look you're after.

lefty

Yes something like that. So you are suggesting a very short cardio workout lets say 20 minutes and 40-45 minutes of weight training ??

dhinggok

Reaction score
Walking an hour on the treadmill is admirable, but 1 hour every day is a lot of time, especially given the results you will get from walking. As someone mentioned before, why don't you start cycling or spinning classes? Maybe a full body workout like boxing or martial arts? The latter two, boxing and martial arts, may take an hour or so, but you will get a pretty decent full body workout and seeing as you aren't looking to bulk up, they might be perfect.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All of that will **** up his shins. I say Power Yoga. It's gentle on the body but gets the heart rate up the same as running. I used to be very into yoga, it's as intense as you make it. I've frequently slipped on a puddle of my own sweat I've left on the mat without realizing it. Still, my favorite form of cardio is the burpee. It's so brutal, I love it.
Originally Posted by dhinggok
Walking an hour on the treadmill is admirable, but 1 hour every day is a lot of time, especially given the results you will get from walking. As someone mentioned before, why don't you start cycling or spinning classes? Maybe a full body workout like boxing or martial arts? The latter two, boxing and martial arts, may take an hour or so, but you will get a pretty decent full body workout and seeing as you aren't looking to bulk up, they might be perfect.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shin splints are usually caused more by a chronic lack of running than an acute run.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Shin splints are usually caused more by a chronic lack of running than an acute run.

Put another way, the OP has DOMS.

Yes something like that. So you are suggesting a very short cardio workout lets say 20 minutes and 40-45 minutes of weight training ??

You have to decide what your specific goals are (I want to total 1K; run a marathon; cut to 8% BF), then educate yourself to ensure that you are heading in the proper direction.

"I want to lose a little stomach fat and tone up" is not really a goal.

But, yes, I'm suggesting that you drop the cardio for now, find and follow a non-idiotic resistance program and eat to support that new body. It's not that difficult but you do have to do some homework and asking for advice here isn't part of it.

lefty

unexpected

Reaction score
why is right, you get shin splits when you try to do too much too soon while running (i.e, going from 0 to, "i'm going to run 5 miles everyday this week")

If you keep on walking, you're never going to acclimate your shins. You have to start running, just take it slow. Maybe you should follow the Couch to 5K plan, just to get your feet wet into solid running.

As far as your workout, it's terrible. There are so many threads on workout plans though, do some reading, so we can all take a break from regurgitating the same thing.

One thing to keep in mind though: As Grayland said, you're not going to wake up one morning and be like, "omg, I'm too big!!" If you really think about it, bodybuilders are the most efficient at gaining/retaining muscle while losing fat. So, it makes sense for you to train as efficiently as possible - train like a body builder. However, when you get the results you want, stop.

Your desire "to not get too big" and "just get toned" is actually causing you to workout as inefficiently as possible and keeping you from your goals.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do pick up a 5x5 program from like stronglifts or bill starr, and jog on off-days, building up to running. You'll only get too big if you eat like you want to.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are free weights the best way to go or should i use those weight machines??

I would use a combination of both free weights and machine.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Just recently I started going to the gym in order to lose stomach fat. I'm 6 feet, and 168Lbs(male). I only gain weight around the stomach area.

My routine is to eat normally like I've always done. I don't really eat ***** and fried foods, maybe once in a while. I keep it simple. Probably a very balanced 2000-2200 calorie diet.

At the gym I walk for an hour on the treadmill.

1-10 minutes at 3.7mph
10-20 minutes at 3.9mph
20-40 minutes at 4.0mph
40-60 minutes 4.2mph with variation of 2.0 to 5.0 incline.

Normal 5 minutes stretching. And then 15 minutes of light to medium weights .... I don't want to bulk up, but just lightly toned.

I've been working out for about a month now. Every week I do a new routine.

For e.g sometimes I run + walk. Sometimes I do treadmill, bicycling

And yes, running gives me shin splits so I'm keeping that at minimum until I strengthen my muscles in the shin area.

Do I need to add anything to the routine?

Wow, this is the worst workout regimen I've ever seen.

You could spend half the time you waste walking on the threadmill every day doing something far more productive like HIIT, squatting, deadlifting, benching, pullups, etc.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had the same problem over the years as you describe.

By going to the gym and going through a routine of treadmill or even eliptical machines doesn't seem to help me for burning fat.

The two things that have helped are:

-Riding a bike with regular steep grades (even in a gym on a challenging program works as long as I get truly winded at times)

-circuit training, going quickly from sit ups, to lifting, to squats, to pushups, to jumping rope, etc....so that you breath hard, burn those muscles and breath very deeply.

Besides that, backing off the carbs and desserts really helps too.

Doing this one hour a day for 30 days can really make a huge difference for me and I'm in my 50's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads