• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to expand current shoe collection

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
I wanted to branch out in my shoe collection and wanted to get some opinions on what to buy next.

Current shoes (size ~7-7.5):

- Calzoleria Harris Executive in Black (first shoe purchase was at Barney's)
- C&J Westbourne in Chestnut (second shoe purchase through Plal)
- C&J Tetbury in Brown Antique Nubuck (third shoe purchase through Plal)
- C&J Highbury in Black (fourth shoe purchase through Plal)
- RM Williams Craftsman Yearling in Chestnut (fifth shoe purchase through the guy who works with SF)

Just to give you a little back ground:

I wear my Westbourne's very heavily (2/3 times a week always a day break in-between). Prefer to wear brown shoes these days with almost everything. The Tetbury I wear 2/3 times a week usually alternate with the Westbourne's. I primarily wear the RM Williams on the weekend. I maybe wear the Highbury's 2 times a month, as I just don't like wearing black that much. I rarely wear the Harris (also found these to be not as durable a shoe as C&J).

So my question is: given my preference of shoe (color, style) what do you recommend I buy next? Do I need a non-button up (monk or loafer)? I would love to pick something up in the $300-500 range and hope I can take advantage of some of the sales coming up.

I would love to run down to SoHo and pick up a pair of Corthay's but I think these are a little too expensive for me right now (don't get me wrong would love to own a pair). I have given thought to buying:

- More C&J (Lowndes Brown, Drummond Beechnut, Hallam Beechnut)
- A few Santoni styles that I have briefly looked at (Hayward, Knox [might be too similar to Westbourne's], Kelly, Ford, 8427, 7460, 6883, Falanghina)

Please let me know what you think. I appreciate the help.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a brown wingtip. Clifford

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With small feet in mind... Sleek, plain, probably a lace-up, probably a balmoral. Maybe burgundy. If in your preferred brown, not light brown.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
With small feet in mind... Sleek, plain, probably a lace-up, probably a balmoral. Maybe burgundy. If in your preferred brown, not light brown.

+1 on the Burgundy/Cordovan color. It's always a fantastic addition to any collection and goes with virtually everything, plus not too many people seem to wear that color so you stand out a little more from the crowd of black and brown shoes. I personally love a good Burgundy Wingtip.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a monkstrap, something like the C&J Savile would be good. Just one strap, plain in front.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chelsea or chukka?

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
I like the elongated shape of the shoe you get with the 348 last from C&J. I already have a Chelsea in the RM Williams.

I'll look into a burgundy thanks for the recommendation.

Any specific shoes anyone would recommend?

Thanks!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jaygatsby28
I like the elongated shape of the shoe you get with the 348 last from C&J. I already have a Chelsea in the RM Williams.

I'll look into a burgundy thanks for the recommendation.

Any specific shoes anyone would recommend?

Thanks!

Just my opinion, but burgundy may not be as versatile as brown ones. It's easier to dress down brown shoes than burgundy ones.

beasty

Reaction score
I wanted to branch out in my shoe collection and wanted to get some opinions on what to buy next.

- RM Williams Craftsman Yearling in Chestnut (fifth shoe purchase through the guy who works with SF)

I wear my Westbourne's very heavily (2/3 times a week always a day break in-between). Prefer to wear brown shoes these days with almost everything. The Tetbury I wear 2/3 times a week usually alternate with the Westbourne's. I primarily wear the RM Williams on the weekend. I maybe wear the Highbury's 2 times a month, as I just don't like wearing black that much. I rarely wear the Harris (also found these to be not as durable a shoe as C&J).

So my question is: given my preference of shoe (color, style) what do you recommend I buy next? Do I need a non-button up (monk or loafer)? I would love to pick something up in the $300-500 range and hope I can take advantage of some of the sales coming up.

I would love to run down to SoHo and pick up a pair of Corthay's but I think these are a little too expensive for me right now (don't get me wrong would love to own a pair). I have given thought to buying:

- A few Santoni styles that I have briefly looked at (Hayward, Knox [might be too similar to Westbourne's], Kelly, Ford, 8427, 7460, 6883, Falanghina)

Hey,

I was in the same position as you in early 2008 but unlike you, I don't have such preference as you. Other than suede and spectators, I got tons of shoes in colours like greens, red, browns, blues and orange and even 1 in half croc.

Anyway back to your question, invest in high quality shoes like Tramezza, Lobb prestige, Mantellassi, Lattanzi etc etc. Get them used to save some money including Corthays. I got 2 Corthays and I love them for their shape and design etc.

If you dont' want fancy colours, unlike what others think, I think burgundy is nice and goes with everything.

Milgauss

Reaction score
I have the Edgware in dark brownburnished calf and after using wax a few times the colour becomes a much richer deeper brown then when the shoes were brand new. I would recommend you check these out.

Btw - do you have any pics you can post of the Westbournes? These are on my options list for my next pair of C&Js.

Cheers

I wear my Westbourne's very heavily (2/3 times a week always a day break in-between). Prefer to wear brown shoes these days with almost everything. The Tetbury I wear 2/3 times a week usually alternate with the Westbourne's.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have given thought to buying:

What do you think of the Santoni Kenton?

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Calzoleria Harris Executive in Black (first shoe purchase was at Barney’s)

I wear my Westbourne’s very heavily (2/3 times a week always a day break in-between). Prefer to wear brown shoes these days with almost everything. The Tetbury I wear 2/3 times a week usually alternate with the Westbourne’s. I primarily wear the RM Williams on the weekend. I maybe wear the Highbury’s 2 times a month, as I just don’t like wearing black that much. I rarely wear the Harris (also found these to be not as durable a shoe as C&J).

I would love to run down to SoHo and pick up a pair of Corthay’s but I think these are a little too expensive for me right now (don’t get me wrong would love to own a pair). I have given thought to buying:

- A few Santoni styles that I have briefly looked at (Hayward, Knox [might be too similar to Westbourne’s], Kelly, Ford, 8427, 7460, 6883, Falanghina)

maybe some chuck taylors?
rimshot.gif

JK. I think some chocolate suede will be a great addition, either lace up or monks (AE Moras-ish)

lizmasc

Reaction score
For your needs and preferences I think burgundy will suit you well and they come go along with pretty much anything. Or if it fancies you, you can also go with brown like another user mentioned
blush.gif
smiley2.gif

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wear your Westbournes 3 days a week? Thats just plain abuse!
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads