• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to dye a trench coat

Quothmar

Reaction score
For several months now, I have been looking unsuccessfully for a men's blue trench coat of about size 36. The shade of blue I want is normal blue, lighter than navy but darker than light blue.

Is it possible to have a trench coat dyed blue? Does the initial color matter -- that is, can I dye a black trench coat blue? If so, where should I look for this kind of service?

tazmaniac

Reaction score
BlueManGroup.jpg

Quothmar

Reaction score
If anyone's curious, this is exactly the kind of trench coat I'm looking for, only I would prefer one around size 36:

il_fullxfull.96136683.jpg

Quothmar

Reaction score
All right... what about a beige coat?

I want a perfect blue, like the one in the picture. By the way, does anyone know if this particular style of trench coat (with the curved part on the upper back) has a name?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sounds like a lot more work than it's worth, but it's probably possible if you have a cotton or other natural fiber coat. Whatever colour you start with make sure to remove all colour first with a proper colour remover, then dye carefully.

Go here -

http://www.ritdye.com/home.lasso

Buy this:

BOX_ColorRemover.jpg

and this:

LQD_RoyalBlue.jpg

Quothmar

Reaction score
In response to Larson, no, the one shown above is a men's trench coat -- at least, according to the dealer. (I personally don't see what's so feminine about it. It's blue, after all, right?)

And thanks, harvey! I think I'll check that out.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quothmar
For several months now, I have been looking unsuccessfully for a men's blue trench coat of about size 36. The shade of blue I want is normal blue, lighter than navy but darker than light blue.

Is it possible to have a trench coat dyed blue? Does the initial color matter -- that is, can I dye a black trench coat blue? If so, where should I look for this kind of service?

Many trenches are surface-treated to be water-repellent/resistant. That will make a DIY dye-job even harder.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do NOT use RIT. It will never turn out well. The problem is you really just cannot get the water to be as hot as you need it to be.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
You have to stir and stir constantly.

Much like many of our veteran Senior Members here.
stirpot.gif
laugh.gif

Coater

Reaction score
I personally think a blue trench coat would look ridiculous. Kinda childish, if you get my point now.
I only accept black and khaki. Brown also goes, but it's a close one.

Gingahbman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coater
I personally think a blue trench coat would look ridiculous. Kinda childish, if you get my point now.
I only accept black and khaki. Brown also goes, but it's a close one.

Boo this man!
smile.gif
Blue trench coats look fine. The shade you showed looks nice, but I agree with the others in that you should find a cut that is a bit more masculine.

Either way, I know Band of Outsiders did a blue trench not too long ago. It might have been navy, though it did look lighter if my memory serves me correctly. Tasty looking trench, but as usual the price was pretty high up there. An XS would probably fit you spot on. I'm sure you could find it if you search around, but the price may not be so forgiving. However, if you decide to dye it yourself, be careful. Most times a self dye never works as planned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics