• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to buy suit, need help

ethirtynine

Reaction score
for you guys who know a thing or two about suits, whats the smallest size i can get a suit in? im a pretty small guy, im 5'5", 115-120 pounds, slim build. i was looking around department stores and a 3 day suit broker, and the smallest size i could find was 36 short. it fit ok, but i am really looking for something that hugs my body and sort of has a slim fit to it. are smaller sizes made and where can i find them? btw im kinda on a budget here, 3-4 bills. so please dont suggest an $800 suit or something like that. thanks

gqreader239

Reaction score
wow ok so you just described an exact model of me. here are a list of solutions to your problem.

- If you are lucky enough to live near an H&M, visit there and they have suits from size 34. Will definitely give you the slim fit that you want. I however, would not recommend if this is going to be a suit for interviews as I am a more conservative person who likes a more conservative suit.

http://www.hm.com/

- Syms Mens Wear offers suit sizes down to about size 35 xshort. I have recently purchased one and I am quite happy with it. Prices range 100-250 for them. Selection is limited and there isnt much stock on size 35 suits, therefore its a hit or miss thing.

http://syms.com/

-Zara's is a designer store that carries european sizes down to 46. Thus they more snug than american suits. Suit ranges from 300-400. Quality is not very good however, so I would not recommend them unless you are completely sure that you like the fabric.

http://zara.com/i06/index.html

-Hudson's small man guide from Topduke.com. A great place to get more information about which places online might offer what you are looking for. I would not purchase a suit online because it will be a pain ********** to return and ship if it does not fit just the way you want it to.

http://www.topduke.com/

gqreader239

Reaction score
on a quick note, a little trick to have a suit fit you better is to work out your traps and do pushups for about a month. I actually have done this and my shirts and the suit seem to fit better. Its obviously not a major overhaul but more of a quick gain.

grab two dumbbells, start with 15's move up to 20's and then 35's
hold one in each hand and shrug your shoulders up to your ears. 40reps 2sets each night. it will make you appear bigger but you really didnt get bigger. The traps will help hold the suit up and give a better shoulder slant as opposed to just a straight bony shoulder line.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003/dbshrug.wvx

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You might ask Get Smart about the Thick As Thieves suit project and whether he can make you something in a <36. It sounded like he was going to be able to do that, but don't quote me.... Check the Streetwear forum for the thread.

modsquad

Reaction score
Yoox is offering a steel blue Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche 3-button in 34 for $950. Way past your price range, I know, but if it's perfect for you, maybe it's worth it. Yoox takes (timely) returns, no questions asked.

ethirtynine

Reaction score
that ysl suit would be nice, too bad i dont have an extra 500 dollars lying around. btw, thanks for the links guys.

the h&m seems interesting, and i live in (closed to) LA, but what does it mean when "I however, would not recommend if this is going to be a suit for interviews as I am a more conservative person who likes a more conservative suit." im looking for a suit for weddings, funerals, debuts, etc. would i find a suit from this brand for my purpose.

one more thing, what color would be best for an all purpose suit: black, charcoal, or navy?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You might ask Get Smart about the Thick As Thieves suit project and whether he can make you something in a <36. It sounded like he was going to be able to do that, but don't quote me.... Check the Streetwear forum for the thread.

yep it would be easy to make a size 34. 4 bills.

If the OP wants a suit to be slim smaller than a 36, you're not going to find anything at H&M. I wear a 36 in their "slimsuit" and I'm a 38

www.thickasthievesLA.com (online by end of friday)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one and only real solution for someone with a difficult size will only ever be to go bespoke or MTM - otherwise you will for ever and all eternity be severly limited in your choices. If you go bespoke you will be paying a fair bit over $800 I am sorry to say.

However, if that 36S was a fair fit through the shoulders you can have it taken in at the waist by a good tailor. I always have my RTW coats taken in in just this way. I just hope that suit was a decent basic one in a solid charcoal grey or navy. Please don't just grab any old solid black, pink, or purple suit because it was the only one you could find on the shelf in anything remotely near your size.

gqreader239

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethirtynine
that ysl suit would be nice, too bad i dont have an extra 500 dollars lying around. btw, thanks for the links guys.

the h&m seems interesting, and i live in (closed to) LA, but what does it mean when "I however, would not recommend if this is going to be a suit for interviews as I am a more conservative person who likes a more conservative suit." im looking for a suit for weddings, funerals, debuts, etc. would i find a suit from this brand for my purpose.

one more thing, what color would be best for an all purpose suit: black, charcoal, or navy?

I would recommend a light black suit, avoid the really dark blacks (jet black). When I mentioned about being more of a conservative suit person, I mean't that you should go for a single vent (or no vent), notch lapel, not too slim fitting. Fashion magazines advocate a very slim fitting suit with alot of flare (double vents, peak lapel). For your first suit however, just stick with the basics.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Light black?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethirtynine

Charcoal grey - definitely charcoal grey. If you had none other it should be this. Navy is a very close second and my favourite colour for a suiting but charcoal grey has that extra sobriety and gravitas to it.

Black is great for clubbing, if you are an undertaker or a Mormon. In the last instance accessorise with a well polished bicycle. Also if you attend funerals with any great regularity a black lounge suit would get some mileage - otherwise just wear your charcoal grey lounge suit.

Please - if you are looking for a job interview suit might I try to encourage you to save up a little and go MTM? It may well be an investment in your career that will pay dividends in the long term.

ethirtynine

Reaction score
thanks for the advise on the color guys. i wasn't too sure what to get. also, thanks for the links. any ebay advise? i saw that one from macy's and if the price stays low, i might have two suits. any comments?

btw, this isnt for any job interview or anything like that, im just really tired of wearing my dad's hand-me-downs (38-40R).
blush.gif
a while ago i went to my cousin's debut and a neighbor's wedding, and damn was that embarrassing
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics