• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to buy my boss and some colleagues a fine liquor. Recommendations?

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaving a fantastic job, and want to treat my boss and a few of my colleagues to a nice drink they can share at the office.

Willing to spend about $100. I don't think any of them are seasoned drinkers, so it need not be esoteric. Recommendations?

Reaction score
Glenmorangie Scotch 18 Year (750 ML)
It is a very decent scotch and it sells for $99.99.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't get too extreme on the flavor profiles of the scotches. I've benefited from a guy who gave a senior of his at work a bottle of Laphroaig 18- I knew the recipient, he didn't like it, and as somebody who showed an appreciation for smoke and peat when visiting, I wound up with the bottle. Not what the original giver intended, I'm sure, though I'm sure as hell not complaining. A moderate highland would be fine, and a speyside would be inoffensive, though as a lover of smoke and peat, it would probably bore me and I wouldn't drink it all that much. And if you're buying for a group, middle of the road is probably your best bet to please the largest number of people.

You could also buy them some seriously nice bourbon for that price.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Damn I wish I worked somewhere that drinking was acceptable. The only state employees allowed to have alcohol in their offices are the legislators and their aides.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You could also buy them some seriously nice bourbon for that price.

yeah, more people will enjoy a 100 buck bourbon than a 100 buck scotch - really good scotch is more of an aquired taste. you could get a bottle of the best broubon available in your local high end store for that.

if you ware looking for specifics - woodford reserve is very nice.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My first instinct was to buy a nice bourbon, since that's my own favorite hard drink. But I frankly don't know enough about liquor to know what most people would appreciate receiving - or if bourbon is generally regarded (in Canada) as a fine drink. In fact, I have no clue what cptjeff is talking about. I wish I did.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Varieties of scotch- there are a few different regions, and they tend to have different flavor profiles, though each maker does vary. Speyside is the stuff like Glenfiddich, which are sweeter with honey and grass and boring stuff like that. Highland scotches vary widely, but they'll often have smoke and peat flavors, and be somewhat sweet. Islay scotches like Laphroaig are famous for being astringent, full of peat, iodine and smoke flavors. I've heard Laphroaig described as "like licking the inside of a chimney". I can't get enough of that- to me, it's wonderful. To others, it's disgusting.

Scotch is a complicated world that I'm only beginning to learn myself. If you don't know anything about it, I would go for the bourbon for this. And I would make it a point to learn- the process is incredibly tasty.

Last edited:

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the venn diagram of people who enjoy high end liquor and who enjoy high end bourbon is almost fully overlapping. Get him a bottle of Pappy.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If these guys are not familiar with high end booze, get them some bourbon like Blanton's. It is delicious and comes in a cool bottle with a racehorse stopper. Priced right around $50. If you want, get a set of nice rocks glasses to go along with it.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on the Johnny Walker Gold (or Johnny Blue if you're willing to shell out for it). People who are not seasoned drinkers will appreciate getting that as a gift more than they would appreciate getting something that is better quality for the money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads