• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

want movie recs

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Suspicion showcased one of Cary Grant's best performances. He did 'sinister,' very well. The film's conclusion, was a disappointment. To tell you the truth, I find a number of Hitchcock movies to be rather glacial, so far as pacing goes. The Birds, was one of them. He sometimes built quite slowly, to a climax.
The Bad Seed is another suspense yarn, that I love. Again, the film's trumped up ending, did not deliver the goods. Temperamental theatricality, throughout.
BadSeed4w.jpg

nioh

Reaction score
A wide variety of lovely oldies:

Key Largo
L'Eclisse
Divorzio all'italiana
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Vivre Sa Vie
This Gun for Hire
The Roaring Twenties
Le Samourai

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
What's the obsession with old movies?

People are ignoring films with Pacino, Deniro...

I specifically requested them since I'm totally ignorant of the older stuff, although I have liked what I've seen. I've seen almost all good movies of the last 15 years that pander to mainstream audiences. That includes most deniro & pacino flicks, and of course, Die Hard. :p

And thanks for the recs, guys.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cincinatti kid
all quiet on the western front

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Alexander Nevski
Le corbeau
Out of the past

I just picked three movies at random, I made a kind of top100 list with some short descriptions that I posted on superfuture (just a fancy way to make recommendations) I'll link to it when it's back on.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
laura-prototype.jpg
Ever see Laura?? You must. Splendid murder mystery, starring the incomparable, Gene Tierney. Another, GT movie, that you can't miss: Leave Her to Heaven. Miss T. stars as a neurotic newlywed, who can't cope with her little brother-in-law's competition. Chilling, spellbinding, disturbing tale. Another, great and deeply affecting movie: Room at the Top. Simone Signoret won a Best Actress Oscar, for this film. Tragic romance. The Little Foxes, starring Bette Davis and Herbert Marshall, is also a must see. To watch Miss D. stare directly at her co-star, and listen to her deliver these lines: 'I hope you die. I hope you die, soon. I'll be waiting, for you to die!' is an unforgettable experience.
untitled-8.jpg

Laura is an excellent movie, good rec.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
In the spirit of recycling (I think I've posted this list 4 times now) here it is again:

Fuuma's "top 100" movies

How it works:
"¢\tI'll make a post for every decade, starting with the 1910s, for a total of 100 movies
"¢\tI didn't include more than two movies by the same director for variety's sake
"¢\tThe list is, of course, heavily slanted towards my own taste; for example you'll find a proportionally large numbers of French films
"¢\tI tried to give the list a modern angle by including a lot of recent films (80s and up)
"¢\t Those are only small blurbs, if you're interested in one of those movies, feel free to ask, I like watching "˜em and I like talking about "˜em!

Fuuma's top 100: 10s
  • Vampires, les/France/Feuillade/1916: Engrossing crime serial with a macabre edge, the main character is boring but you'll be cheering for the amoral members of "les vampires" gang

Fuuma's top 100: 20s
  • Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the/Germany/Wiene/1920: Made in the aftermath of WW1. Not so subtle critique of the powers that be, the nightmarish landscapes of this expressionistic movie are a sight to behold
  • Nosferatu/Germany/Murnau/1922: Another fine example of German expressionism, this one is truly creepy thanks to Max Schreck eerily performance who owes as much to the elaborate gestures of theatre actors as to the much more restrained style that would soon emerge in the cinematic world.
  • Metropolis/Germany/Lang/1926: Probably the first dystopian sci-fi movie, certainly the best
  • An andalusian dog/Un chien andalou/France/Bunuel/1929: A dreamlike journey through the subconscious mind of Bunuel (and Dali). The Surrealists were among the first to understand that cinema could be a viable artistic pursuit, worthy of other visual arts

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm going to pretend you didn't talk about woody allen movies and not list Annie Hall. I'll definitely second 8 1/2. Great flick.

Try "Mediterraneo" as well. Not black and white, but has that old time movie feel. It's an Italian movie, but a really good one. I think it won best foreign film when it came out.

I'll have to think of more. It's hard off the top of your head.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm trying to broaden the scope of movies I've seen so I'm sure I can count on some good recs here. I've seen just about every mainstream big release and all the standard guy movies, so let's ignore those. I'm interested in seeing some more black and white films. I'm not so in to movies that try too hard to be artsy or intellectual.

I'll throw-up a short list so you can get an idea of my general preferences.

Woody Allen movies (i've seen all of them)
Babel
Anything with Audrey Hepburn
Casablanca
Laurence of Arabia

Of the Woody Allen movies, I particularly enjoyed the ones that examined relationships: Manhattan, hannah and her sisters, and annie hall. That might carry-over to other films.

i posted this in a previous thread:

italian:
accatone (best film ever)
la dolce vita
rocco and his brothers
teorema
8 1/2
le notte di cabiria
il bell'antonio
l'amore (best performance by an actress ever, also best "just got dumped" scene ever)
the bicycle thief
umbert d
family diary

in english:
taxi driver
raging bull
2001: a space odyssey
a clockwork orange
husbands
a woman under the influence
godfathers 1 and 2
last tango in paris
the last emperor
the hot chick
nacho libre
the doors
natural born killers
the graduate

shanghai triad (chinese)
yojimbo (japanese)
hunger (danish or norwegian) best starving artist movie ever
tampopo (japanese)
rififi (french) the original 'ocean's eleven' was based on this
my life to live (french)
les enfants terrible (french)
eyes without a face (french)
man bites dog (belgian)

anything by almodovar, cassavettes, or pasolini

ps
if you haven't seen it yet, i would put 'nacho libre' at the top of your list.

jackmccullough

Reaction score
On the Waterfront
Nosferatu (the Werner Herzog version)
Catch-22
Every Man for Himself and God Against All: The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
The Princess Bride
My Dinner with Andre

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by ruling out artsy and intellectual, you are denying yourself of what might be a very entertaining genre.....
"Realm of the Senses" banned in Japan
I also like the documentary on director, David Lynch.

gehrig

Reaction score
Seconds and One, Two, Three; both are black and white but felt modern to me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads