• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want another law school article?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't even understand how you can get that much law school debt ($170K) and only get a $12/hour public defender job.

guy must've went to a ****** expensive school and underperformed.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, that's an awful decision. If you can't get a full time job you're morally unfit? What a load of crock.

Supreme Court reversal in 3...2...1...

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Holy ****, that's an awful decision. If you can't get a full time job you're morally unfit? What a load of crock.

Supreme Court reversal in 3...2...1...

supreme court isn't going to grant cert to a case like that imo

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with the decision. The guy's either a malingerer or an idiot. Either way, he should not be practicing law.

EDIT - This guy is the very definition of a loser. He has no business representing anyone else if he can't manage his life better than this.

The applicant completed his application to register as a candidate
for admission to the Ohio bar on January 15, 2008, and unsuccessfully took the
Ohio bar examination in July 2008, February 2009, and July 2009. On November
18, 2009, he applied to take the February 2010 bar exam. The Columbus Bar
Association Admissions Committee reviewed the applicant’s application and his
National Conference of Bar Examiners report and personally interviewed him. In
December 2009, it issued a report certifying that the applicant possessed the
character, fitness, and moral qualification required for admission to the practice of
law and recommended that the applicant be approved.
{¶ 3} Expressing concern about the applicant’s handling of his personal
finances, however, the Board of Commissioners on Character and Fitness sua
sponte instituted an investigation of the applicant’s debt pursuant to Gov.Bar R.
I(10)(B)(2)(e). A three-member panel of the board conducted a hearing on May
27, 2010, focusing upon the applicant’s debt and his lack of a plan to meet his
financial obligations.
{¶ 4} The panel found that the applicant had graduated from Arizona
State University in 2004 at the age of 34 and had attended The Ohio State
University Moritz College of Law. When he graduated from law school in 2008,
he owed approximately $170,000 in student loans – $20,000 for his undergraduate
studies and $150,000 for law school. He also had incurred approximately
$16,500 in credit-card debt.
{¶ 5} Before attending law school, the applicant had worked full-time as
a stockbroker for approximately five-and-a-half years, earning enough money to
meet his expenses. Since completing his first year of law school, however,
January Term, 2011
respondent has worked part-time, 24 to 32 hours a week, at the Franklin County
Public Defender’s Office, earning $12 per hour. Although the applicant lives with
his nine-year-old daughter and her mother in the mother’s home and contributes
minimally toward the household expenses, he has been unable to make any
payments on his student loans, which began to come due in July 2009. He has
also been unable to meet his credit-card obligations since approximately
December 2008, and one creditor has obtained a default judgment against him.
{¶ 6} The applicant has contemplated filing bankruptcy and has
submitted a letter from his bankruptcy attorney dated January 29, 2010, advising
of the applicant’s intent to file a voluntary petition under Chapter 13 of the
Bankruptcy Code. The applicant testified that during the pendency of the
bankruptcy proceeding, the payments on his student loan obligation would be
greatly reduced. This strategy would give him time to obtain full-time
employment once he passes the bar and to get his financial affairs in order. The
panel found, however, that as of the May 27, 2010 hearing date, the bankruptcy
petition had not been filed. Moreover, the panel observed that the only debt that
could be discharged in a bankruptcy proceeding would be the applicant’s $16,500
in consumer debt, as the applicant’s $170,000 in student loans are

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
A 40 year old plumber who went to junior college out of high school should easily have $170,000 in the bank by now. I have no idea why these idiots do this to themselves.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
A 40 year old plumber who went to junior college out of high school should easily have $170,000 in the bank by now. I have no idea why these idiots do this to themselves.

plumber doesn't sound as cool as lawyer. that's what they base the decision on.

which is why idc about this poor asshole.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i don't even understand how you can get that much law school debt ($170K) and only get a $12/hour public defender job. guy must've went to a ****** expensive school and underperformed.
...how stupid are you dude? People that went to ******* Yale and Harvard are doing those kinds of jobs these days. For a law genius, you don't know much about the legal market.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
...how stupid are you dude? People that went to ******* Yale and Harvard are doing those kinds of jobs these days. For a law genius, you don't know much about the legal market.

Careful, you don't want to be lumped in with me and the other cheesedicks.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't even understand how you can get that much law school debt ($170K) and only get a $12/hour public defender job.

guy must've went to a ****** expensive school and underperformed.

There are a non-minimal amount of unemployed law grads even from good schools (because of a variety of factors).

In this case, he was basically malingering (very good term for it) and decided he'd rather default than take (no, even LOOK FOR ) a full-time, non-lawyer job.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
i'm not saying i can't understand how anyone can get into $150k in debt and not get a good job. i'm talking about this specific guy in these specific circumstances. he made a bad decision paying sticker price at that school, anyway. it's so laughable that you'd think even for a second that i wouldn't understand that massive debt + no jobs is prevalent right now. i never debated that.
Originally Posted by crazyquik
There are a non-minimal amount of unemployed law grads even from good schools (because of a variety of factors). In this case, he was basically malingering (very good term for it) and decided he'd rather default than take (no, even LOOK FOR ) a full-time, non-lawyer job.
sure. this guy is an asshole. also if he had to pay sticker at a school like that he probably shouldn't have gone to law school in the first place, so **** him.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Why's this news? Florida interrogates the **** out of you about your finances. If you're as big a mess financially as this guy is, you are going to be much more likely to co-mingle funds, raid the client's trust funds, etc.... Put another way, would you want this guy to have access to your bank account? Because as your attorney, he's going to have access to any receipts from your litigation.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
How many people here would really use this guy as your lawyer? Can we round up to zero?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In most (all?) states, to be admitted you must jump through a lot of hoops. After the law school hoop, there is a bar exam and a "character and fitness" portion. Basically, a fancy background check.

In some states you take your character and fitness portion before taking the bar exam. In others, you take the bar exam first and then you're evaluated as to whether you are morally fit (snicker) to be a lawyer. I believe he is in the later.

It always seemed bassackwards to make kids pay for bar review materials/classes, ruin several months studying, let them take the bar, and then ding them for character and fitness. Luckily, in my state you don't even get to sit for the bar without first showing your good moral character.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sure. this guy is an asshole. also if he had to pay sticker at a school like that he probably shouldn't have gone to law school in the first place, so **** him.
Don't be knockin' Ohio State!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads