• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wanna drop 15...

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanna drop it. Soon.

I eat well, very well, just joined the gym and am pumped.

I want to go 3 times a week, maybe 4.

What should I do and for how long?

Advice would be swell.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the most simple of levels. Find an online calories expenditure calculator which is based on height/weight (roughly). Avg. is c. 1800 kcal. do some cardio/weight work and intake lower than necessary calories by a few hundred, weight will come off quick. Avoid excess sodium.

Taxler

Reaction score
Going to the gym 3/week is fine, but don't not do anything the other 4 days.

Mr.Sly

Reaction score
Eat less, reduce quantity by 20%.
Go outside and run, swim.

For fat loss i recommend Crossfit.
I lost more than 40pounds inside 8month's.

wink.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with everything said so far. My input is - keep it simple. Like rjmaiorano says, use a BMR calculator to figure out how many calories your body is consuming every day and shoot for 500Kcal under that. Increase your protein as a percentage of total calories and reduce carbs. Lift weights 3 times a week and do some cardio 3 times a week and your 15 pounds will be gone before you know it.

Remember that you are looking at a change in lifestyle here. A lot of people stop doing things that got them the weight loss once they reach their goal and guess what, they are back to where they started before they know it. If you want to keep the weight off, you need to fundamentally change forever what you eat, how much you eat and how active you need to remain on a daily basis.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a size 43R and I want to be small 42R or a large 41R with a nice 34 inch waist.

If we can work on getting me from an R to an L, that would be great. Maybe heavy duty stretching?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i am currently doing less than 50g/day carbs for 6 days and a hi-carb refeed on day 7. have lost two pants size and no muscle. try it. i'm on week 7.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kunk, in your case, what kind of calorie deficit are you running, if at all?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm consuming @2400 a day and burning roughly 600 per through exercise. guess i'm burning some more through breathing and other normal activities. in total, probably somewhere around 1600 after burning.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i am currently doing less than 50g/day carbs for 6 days and a hi-carb refeed on day 7. have lost two pants size and no muscle. try it. i'm on week 7.

What does a hi-carb feed consist of?

Also, what's an average day of food like for those six days.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here's today:

5 eggs with i slice of cheese and 2 slices turkey bacon-8am

1 metabolic drive shake-11am

1 chicken breast with 1/2 cup tomato, 1 cup arugula and balsamic vineger-1pm

1 chicken breast-3pm

1 burger with 1 slice of cheddar, no bun, 1/2 cup brocoli-6pm

1 can of tuna with red wine vingear and olive oil, 1 ounce cashews-8:30pm

1 metabolic drive shake-11pm

i don;t understand exactly the science behind the refeed but it's intent is to fix your hormone profile.

my refeeds look like this:

4 whole-wheat pecan pancakes, 4 eggs

2 burritos with black beans, rice and chicken

meatballs and pasta

1/2 a carrot cake

chicken parm

1/3 tub of breyer's double-churn no sugar added ice cream

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
What does a hi-carb feed consist of? Also, what's an average day of food like for those six days.
Carb cycling is advanced stuff. DO NOT mess with carb cycling right now. You need to do much more basic stuff before you get to the carb cycling stage. Carb cycling is best done when you are down around 11-12% BF and want to get to the final level of fat loss to drive the BF down into single digits. Not for getting from 20% BF to 12%. Right now, just run a caloric deficit, cut down carbs to say 40% of your total calories or less and do a resonable schedule of lifting and cardio and you will see the pounds come off easily. The reason for my advice is that carb cycling needs a lot of discipline. You will be running at very low carbs for most of the week, followed by very high carb levels for a day or two. It is not easy and if you have not had a long period of diet control experience, you will find it hard to succeed.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Wanna drop it. Soon.

I eat well, very well, just joined the gym and am pumped.

I want to go 3 times a week, maybe 4.

What should I do and for how long?

Advice would be swell.

Eat less, exercise more. It's really quite simple. All it takes is iron will, self-discipline and consistency over time.

Also, you don't want to drop weight "soon". You should not reduce your weight by more than 1-2lbs per week, meaning it will take 7-15 weeks to lose 15lbs in the best case scenario. It's usually easier to lose weight in the beginning and it becomes harder and harder as your body fat percentage reduces, so you can expect it to take even longer. The reason for this is that when your body has a lot of excess fat it does not work as hard to keep it, but when the fat reserve gets low, the body will resist shedding more fat since it prefers to have some on reserve for "a rainy day".

Generally speaking, cardiovascular exercise with moderate to high pulse (i.e. brisk walking, running, bicycling, aerobics, etc.) is what will make you lose fat. Strength training is good for improving your overall metabolism and building muscle, but don't expect to lose weight if you're only pumping iron. In fact, if you only train weights without cardio, you are likely to gain weight since you'll be adding muscle without losing fat.

Deluks917

Reaction score
If you've had trouble dieting before (like me...) I suggest the V-diet. Sometimes moderation is bad and just makes f-ing up easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads