• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

walzing with Bashir

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
great movie. ******* A

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool review, bro.

alexpham

Reaction score
The visual presentation of the movie really was outstanding. The scene where they were coming up from the water like ghosts to a burning Beirut was quite well done.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
great movie. ******* A

I imagine it did hit a little close to home at times didn't it? What are your thoughts on what the story is trying to say? I am honestly curious what you think.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
I imagine it did hit a little close to home at times didn't it? What are your thoughts on what the story is trying to say? I am honestly curious what you think.

a few very differnt thougths:

1. the visuals are hit home very hard - the way the guys are dressed, the way they are armed, the stuff they are carrying, the old armored personal carriers, that is the stuff of my youth. some of the scenes take place in locations that are very recognizable. even some of the childhood scenes look like typical small israelil apartment kitchens, with the mother making typical israeli childhood food. it is all very familiar, but it is in animation - a very powerful combination.

2. a lot of the conversations, and the mannerisms of the middle aged guys is very familar - the guys remembering their youth, how they talk, is very familiar.

3. there is a reaccuring theme of "how do I know" - "shoot" "where" "how do I know? just shoot" "go take the wounded" "where" "how do I know? just take them back until you find someplace to drop them"

4. not to be an asshole, but this wasn't my group of friends, the people in this movie are sort of the low end infantry and tankers. I find a lot of the stories sort of appaling - a guy talks about running out of his tank when it comes under fire and not bringing his weapon with him, stuff like that that I know happened/happens, but I find it interesting to hear them talk about it.

5. a lot of the characters, both as kids and as middle aged guys, are very familiar. the pudgy pimply kid who then is a pudgy bald older man, the guy who is a martial artist, the guy who had a lot of potential and then left israel to sell falafel in holland, these are all pretty familiar characters.

terb3ar

Reaction score
Glad to hear great things about this movie. I was going to buy it during a Christmas sale at Blockbuster, but picked up "Rachel Getting Married" over it. Kind of regret that now.

Damn you Anne Hathaway.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was the movie received well among your friends? Did this movie generate a controversy in Israel?
I saw Defiance yesterday and damn it had a massive impact on me.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
a few very differnt thougths:

1. the visuals are hit home very hard - the way the guys are dressed, the way they are armed, the stuff they are carrying, the old armored personal carriers, that is the stuff of my youth. some of the scenes take place in locations that are very recognizable. even some of the childhood scenes look like typical small israelil apartment kitchens, with the mother making typical israeli childhood food. it is all very familiar, but it is in animation - a very powerful combination.

2. a lot of the conversations, and the mannerisms of the middle aged guys is very familar - the guys remembering their youth, how they talk, is very familiar.

3. there is a reaccuring theme of "how do I know" - "shoot" "where" "how do I know? just shoot" "go take the wounded" "where" "how do I know? just take them back until you find someplace to drop them"

4. not to be an asshole, but this wasn't my group of friends, the people in this movie are sort of the low end infantry and tankers. I find a lot of the stories sort of appaling - a guy talks about running out of his tank when it comes under fire and not bringing his weapon with him, stuff like that that I know happened/happens, but I find it interesting to hear them talk about it.

5. a lot of the characters, both as kids and as middle aged guys, are very familiar. the pudgy pimply kid who then is a pudgy bald older man, the guy who is a martial artist, the guy who had a lot of potential and then left israel to sell falafel in holland, these are all pretty familiar characters.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
Was the movie received well among your friends? Did this movie generate a controversy in Israel?
I saw Defiance yesterday and damn it had a massive impact on me.

it did generate controversy. I think that my friends, and a lot of people who are mainstream israelis enjoyed it. a lot of the people I saw writting against it are people who didn't serve at all in the military. this is sort of like Israel's catch-22 or slaughterhouse 5. I don't think Heller or Vonoguet thought that wwii was a "bad" war, but they were talking about their surialistic view of the conflict from the position of a grunt. same thing here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads