• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Walnut or Brown shoes?

sgplayer69

Reaction score
Hey all, purchased a navyish suit for my new job, and decided I want a pair of brown shoes to go with it. I'm loving the Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue. Which would go better with the navy color? I personally like the color of the walnut, but don't have enough fashion sense to make a decision.

Walnut

Brown:

Thanks!
Nick

greyinla

Reaction score
Stylewise, they're both fine w/ navy, but for a typical office environment the dark brown (or, in some places, black) w/ a suit and tie would be the more conservative choice.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stylewise, they're both fine w/ navy, but for a typical office environment the dark brown (or, in some places, black) w/ a suit and tie would be the more conservative choice.
+1. Wearing AE's walnut with a navy suit is not my cup of tea, but I do see it frequently on the street. I wear dark brown shoes or black shoes with my navy suit.

Sonorously

Reaction score
Go with the dark brown as it's a more staple pair.

calcoast

Reaction score
I would go with walnut, but thats just me...

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The walnut are fab. Go walnut.

wgiceman

Reaction score
For a navy suit, I would recommend the dark brown. If you have a medium or lighter blue (such as what I call postman blue) then I would recommend the walnut.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
If you're only going to buy one pair, I'd suggest the dark brown, as it's more conservative and, IMHO, a bit more versatile. If you already have, for example, something in black that you can wear with a suit, then rock the walnut. I wear walnut shoes with navy and gray all the time, and I think they're very complimentary.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%