Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wallets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brian SD, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I had my wallet stolen at a football game this weekend. Suck. I would like to know, who has any good ideas for a comfortable, small wallet with some nice style? My previous wallet was a slim Versace billfold, but I think I'd like to opt for something a little more urban this time, and preferably under $100 as well. I really know so little about wallets, what's out there, what's cool... I imagine there are some cool styles out there in something a little more fun than black leather that isn't as cheap/boring/ugly as something I might get at Urban Outfitters - anyone have some hints?

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i have my eye on a wallet from Levenger, mostly because they sent me their catalog and i don't have time to shop around for wallets. the 'magnetic clip wallet' caught my eye, as it's much more minimal than my current, somewhat bulky bi-fold. it might not be quite what you're looking for though. /andrew

3. Catch-22

Catch-22 Active Member

Try J.Fold I bought one of these about a year ago and it has served me very well. Â They're a bit more edgy than the general black/brown leather but still not too "out there" for every day use. Also very reasonably priced at ~$40. J.Fold Website I have since switched to a multi-stripe paul smith, but that was primarily because I got it for a song... They often have certain models at Nordstroms as well if you want to see one in person.

4. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

I'm a big fan of the Versace wallets - I have three, all with incredibly soft leather and tight stitching. The first one I have had for 8 years and I have treated it like a battering ram, overloaded to the max with cards (wish it were cash&#33[​IMG]. Still in tip-top condition. There's a good range unlike other wallet makers. For something more edgier, try Richard James - very colourful interiors and linings. They are sold in Australia at DJs but I have been holding off.

5. AlienSoul

AlienSoul Member

I can't say anything about the quality, but I am ordering one from SmartCaze. They have been talked about before. http://www.smartcaze.com/

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I actually don't like the Paul Smith multi-stripe wallets, they are a bit too flashy for me. I do however like some of the J.Fold styles. I think this one is my favorite. I'll keep looking around though. I am hoping to find something edgy and not necessarily in such a typical fabric.

7. PHV

PHV Senior member

I have a new Louis Vuitton Damier... the newest offering from LV... classic, very inconspicuous logo.

Lovely brown colours... but, the most expensive of the LV line. I wouldn't go Monogram with LV.

Edit: didnt see your price range... you can probably get a nice Jack Spade for under $100...

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I personally prefer the LV Taiga leather. It seems to be at least as durable as the canvas Damier/Monogram but a bit nicer since it is leather.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I hate LV and refuse to own any products that their logo is on.

CTGuy, great idea, I'll go to Marshall's tomorrow.

10. PHV

PHV Senior member

The damier is leather... the taiga leather doesn't last very long in its supple, lush form. I had a taiga in tan leather and it didn't stay how I liked it to.

The damier/monogram are far tougher and better treated. They'll maintain their integrity for a much longer period of time and are far more resiliant against water damage and the like.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Interesting, I asked a LV SA and they told me the damier products were canvas. I had a monogram wallet from LV and it was decent but hasn't held up like my Taiga. I've had it for about a year and it looks brand new. The monogram stretched more from cards and the like.

12. PHV

PHV Senior member

Pick up any LV wallet and smell it...

genuine leather...

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Right, the inside of the wallet is obviously leather, but the outer coating appears to be the same as their bags, canvas. I own a monogram wallet and it is definitely canvas on the outside, but leather on the inside.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

15. PHV

PHV Senior member

Yes you're correct. I thought you were saying that LV damier/monogram was all synthetic...

The problem with having a soft leather wallet is it doesnt stay nice longer than a few years. Alligator is very tough, but not the soft Taiga.

And, Brian, why do you hate LV so much?