1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wallets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, Jan 17, 2004.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

just curious as to which brands of wallets are considered to be of the highest quality. what might one look for other than softness, smoothness, looks of the material and quality of stitching?

2. Tom

Tom Senior Member

I have a wallet by Bosca that is fantastic.  Also, Filson makes an excellent wallet.  I was interested in the new chic wallets by J-Fold, but i checked them out at a local store and they are really poorly made from shabby materials.

-Tom

3. bern

bern Active Member

Some wallets / pen holders / Â notepad I really like are those from Piquadro. The leather is naturally tanned as opposed to being covered with a color. To give an idea of how it looks, naturally tanned leather is to other leathers a bit what varnished wood is to painted wood.. The different Piquadro wallet styles can be seen here: http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...ATH&brand=PIQU I like the passport wallet for travelling, and the note pad / pen holder combo comes very handy as well in conferences. The quality of the construction is excellent, with every slot being lined with some satin-like material or Jacquart lining.. bern

4. VWpete

VWpete Senior Member

I got a Paul Smith Wallet for Christmas and LOVE it. It's a black outer w/ a print of his signature striped vintage mini-cooper on the inside. It suits me well, being a vintage car and Paul Smith fan. Nicely made, good leather and a bit o fun

5. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

I have an Aspery and a Hermes. Both are exquisite and quite durable.

On top of the quality of the leather, one should check the edges of the wallet, tightness of stitching.

6. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I carry a small shell cordovan credit card case by Alden.

I combine that with a plain sterling money clip by Tiffany.

This combination is less bulky than any wallet I've used.

Kai

7. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior Member

I carry a Gucci black on black monogram with the canvas stripe and leather trim. I've had it for about a year and a half and it's still like new.

Oh, and I just bought a leather passport wallet. I don't even recognize the brand and it cost next to nothing, but it was lime green leather. I just couldn't resist. I'll only carry it when I'm going out of the country, so it doesn't really matter how well made it is.

8. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

Kai, Is your credit card case one of the ones pictured in either "view 3" or "view 4" of the Alden catalog below? Â I've been looking for a really slim credit card case, but at least that particular retailer won't sell accessories without an accompanying shoe purchase. Alden catalog dan

9. andreyb

andreyb Active Member

I have Swaine Adeney wallet made from bridle hide leather in Dark London colour.

At first glance, it looks like pretty ordinary wallet, but:

1.) Leather cut by hand (it is obvious from minor inequalities),

2.) Edge corners are hand rolled,

3.) I am not sure about stitching -- is it made by hand or by machine -- but entire wallet is surely made by craftsmen,

5.) They used best possible (in my opinion) meterials: English bridle hide leather, silk and threads made from Irish linen,

6.) This wallet is already excellent, and I hope that it will be only better with age.

Summarizing, this wallet is an example of "old world" craftsmanship and values.

10. My View

My View Senior Member

I use a card holder and a money-clip wallet from Mont-Blanc. Looks nice I think but cannot comment about the quality of leather used (still learning).

11. Catch-22

Catch-22 Active Member

Recently picked up the below wallet from a Company called J.Fold, which makes leather wallets in "trendy" colors and designs J.Fold Website Kind of got tired of the Coach combined money clip/wallet that I was carrying...it became too much of a hassle juggling business cards, receipts, change and anything else I was carrying with such a small package I'm a little concerned that the wallet isn't conservative enough for everyday use in my current profession (investment banking), but it will work until I find something I like better. Really tempted by a couple Paul Smith wallets (including the one VWPete mentioned), but I figured I'd try this one out first because it was pretty cool and so darn inexpensive ($39)

12. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I carry a small shell cordovan credit card case by Alden. I combine that with a plain sterling money clip by Tiffany. This combination is less bulky than any wallet I've used.
    Kai, Is your credit card case one of the ones pictured in either "view 3" or "view 4" of the Alden catalog below? Â I've been looking for a really slim credit card case, but at least that particular retailer won't sell accessories without an accompanying shoe purchase. Alden catalog dan
    View 4 is my credit card wallet. Very slim. I carry 2 credit cards, driver's license, ID card, building pass, and insurance card in it. Could probably fit one more credit card in it if I wanted to. It has 3 pockets. The two outside pockets are easy to access and hold a couple of credit cards each, the center pocket is a bit harder to access and will hold 2 or 3 credit cards. I HATE carrying stuff in my pants pockets, and this is the best slim wallet I've found. I'm a shell cordovan fan too, so the beautiful shell cordovan leather and Alden craftsmanship doesn't hurt either. I actually also own the folding case shown in view 2 and 3, but I don't use it as a wallet. It is a bit larger and thicker than the small one that I carry. The folding case stays in my briefcase and holds my business cards, and my frequent flier/red carpet club cards, and other cards I use when I travel.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Louis Vuitton, standard chocolate canvas monogrammed. Sorta big... But has lasted me now a bit over 7 years, although I'm in the market for something new and slimmer.

14. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Does anyone have any experience with John Lobb Paris wallets? They look so very nice in the pictures in the catalogue, but then, that's the purpose of pictures in catalogues.

15. Carlo

Carlo Distinguished Member

I use a longer travel wallet. It's American Alligator from Mulholland brothers. I like it because it is slim enough to fit in the breast pocket of a sportcoat easily and without a big fat lump. Lucked out on this one, found it on clearance at a Nordstrom Rack about 6 years ago and it STILL looks gorgeous - actually nicer than new. all handstitched, good leather inside. Not sure if the brand is a biggy but the wallet it great.

Carry a little credit card case and money clip when not wearing a jacket (kinda rare).