• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wallet or Money Clip + Card Case?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueEggs
Someone please comment on my earlier post on the D&G versus the Ferragamo card case/money clip combo. Its driving me up a wall.

Why not just get what you like instead of asking a bunch of faceless unkowns what they think?

This kind of thing is very subjective, so you will get a lot of different opinions.

BlueEggs

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

BlueEggs

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Why not just get what you like instead of asking a bunch of faceless unkowns what they think? This kind of thing is very subjective, so you will get a lot of different opinions.
Because I like designer stuff (but don't want to get anything flashy), have very little sense of style, I am mad that the Prada wallet I have now is piece of junk.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Because I like designer stuff but have very little sense of style and don't want to get anything too flashy.

Well that's my point... some here will like flashy. For example the Ferragamo clip you posted was too flashy for my taste, but to others would be deemed as not flashy at all.

The second Tiffany clip posted by johnnycrockett that he termed as "whimsy" looked great IMO

Me... i have a very simple tiffany clip and a dark tan leather card holder from HY which suits my personal taste.

Subjective you see

southbound35

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth, trying several different options. Somehow, I always end up back to the one pictured in TylerD's post below for daily use. It's slim enough and doesn't take up much space. As TylerD mentioned, they really are durable and age well; I've had two of them over the past ten or more years (one was lost/stolen) and they've held up very well.

For nights out when I don't want to carry a phone, wallet, and keys, I bought an iphone cover that has a slot in the back for cards. I'll put a few bills in another pocket for the inevitable need to use cash (e.g., cover charge, quick round of drinks, valet tip, etc.).

image_thumb38.png

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I tried a money clip, I went back to my wallet.

I also use a slim wallet.

I've got two of these, both given as gifts. They work great. And so far my first one I've been using for 7 years. It's built well and the leather looks great as it ages. I haven't even used the second one, as my first one hasn't worn out.. I think there about $50 new, a really good deal IMO for the quality.

Coach slim wallet.
coach-slim-buffalo.jpg

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry two money clips -- one for bills and another for cards/ID.

Droog

Reaction score
I switched from a wallet because it was wearing out my trousers. Now I do a money clip and a thin wallet for the absolute essentials (credit cards, proof of medical insurance, driver's license, military ID, a few business cards). All the extra cards (nothing sensitive) go into a separate card carrying case kept in the car. Also I don't carry change anymore.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Because I like designer stuff (but don't want to get anything flashy), have very little sense of style, I am mad that the Prada wallet I have now is piece of junk.

Is it due to wear or are they not of good quality?

I need help finding a particular Prada wallet. It has a cylinder on the side as opposed to a traditional folding of the leather making it much slimmer when folded. I can't seem to find it anywhere online. This is close: LINK but I don't like the texture of the leather on this particular one. The one I have in mind is a more simple look but with similar logo versus the triangular logo. Also I'm looking for the billfold and not the money clip version.

Has anyone seen the one I'm talking about?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
For security reasons, the latter. Edit: permit me to explain. Snatch and run robberies are common in some areas of the US and overseas. Keeping your cash and your valuable ID separate reduces your risk of losing everything in the event of such a crime. As an example, some thieves target people paying for things on the street (e.g. buying from a street vendor, putting money into a parking kiosk, paying a cabbie). You've got your wallet out to pay the vendor for your lunch and the thief snatches it and runs. Now assuming you're not a combo of Carl Lewis and Bruce Lee, you've just lost not only your cash but also your driver's license, credit cards, medical insurance cards, picture of your cat Muffin and heaven knows what else. However, if you were using a money clip, you've only lost your pocket cash while your driver's license and other cards remain safely in your pocket. There are other examples when giving up your cash (to the exclusion of your credit cards) can work in your favor. Point is that you hedge your risk because you don't have to lose everything at once. For further reading, I recommend "Safe in the City", by Marc "Animal" MacYoung.
Are thieves typically satisfied if you hand over a money clip with cash, or will they shake you down for every last item you are carrying?

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I tried a money clip, I went back to my wallet.

I also use a slim wallet.

I've got two of these, both given as gifts. They work great. And so far my first one I've been using for 7 years. It's built well and the leather looks great as it ages. I haven't even used the second one, as my first one hasn't worn out.. I think there about $50 new, a really good deal IMO for the quality.

Coach slim wallet.
coach-slim-buffalo.jpg

That one with the money clip at the back. I also have 2 of those and are excellent. You can get them for around $30-35 at their outlets.

BlueEggs

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
deleted

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads