• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wallet friendly denim

matsusgarden

Reaction score
I was wondering if the knowledgeable folks here would be willing to recommend some decent (good looking, well-fitting, reasonable quality for the price) jeans brands that could be had for maybe $100 or less? I could maybe go as high as $150 on occasion, but certainly not beyond that.

Also, I figured I'd be space efficient and ask here, rather than spam the forums. In many threads, people talk about good items they found discounted. How do I become a master at bargain hunting? I've never bought many "nice" things, and surely none that I didn't pay full price for.

AlexDeLarge

Reaction score
Heh when i saw this thread I thought you meant some denim that distressed nicely around wallets or something, lol.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Hahaha I thought so too. I heard APCs are good bang for their buck.

matsusgarden

Reaction score
Hahaha. Maybe I should have chosen a better title. Is APC that raw denim stuff? At the risk of being ostracized, I have to admit that I don't have the time or the patience for that.

pridecake

Reaction score
I can understand the patience aspect, but the time? I don't have the time to wear pants..lol.

Anyways, if it's going to be below 100, Levi's are your best bet. I know it's perhaps a bit out of your price range, but some good washed jeans are Earnest Sewn and RRL. Check the B/S forum here or supermarket at SuFu, and you can probably find some good deals depending.

dave

Reaction score
PC is the likely answer I'm sure and you can get them from affiliates here for decent discounts.
Mauro (Farinelli's) is the likely source there as well. I got my NSs from him a long time ago for a deal as I recall.

I would also recommend Naked & Famous as an alternative. I like the denim and the cut, though nothing spectacular, is pretty nice and I got mine for CHEAP during a denim bar 30% off moment. I don't know if they carry them anymore or if any affiliate does for that matter but Blue in Green has a pretty good lineup from them.

edit: as for your dislike of raw denim, I treat my raw denims the same way as any old washed denim. I don't care for fades and that sort of BS. there is little difference to me except things that are available raw are usually made of higher quality stuff so that's the way i go.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
another option is to check out the Secret Service affiliate thread, that store is the guy (Chad) behind Crate denim and his "Journal" or "Route" jeans are raw selvedge (Cone Mills denim, cut and sewn in USA) and with their 25% discount to SFers, you can get them for around $100

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raw denim is just denim that has not been treated, you can treat them like normal jeans, wash whenever you want, and you aren't paying for an artificial wash.

matsusgarden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pridecake
I can understand the patience aspect, but the time? I don't have the time to wear pants..lol.

Anyways, if it's going to be below 100, Levi's are your best bet. I know it's perhaps a bit out of your price range, but some good washed jeans are Earnest Sewn and RRL. Check the B/S forum here or supermarket at SuFu, and you can probably find some good deals depending.

I mean to wear them constantly. Unless I am mistaken, I thought you had to wear them virtually day in and day out for a long period of time to get the desired effect. And that just isn't convenient for me, if that's clearer.

Also, pants are overrated, lol.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsusgarden
I mean to wear them constantly. Unless I am mistaken, I thought you had to wear them virtually day in and day out for a long period of time to get the desired effect. And that just isn't convenient for me, if that's clearer.

Also, pants are overrated, lol.

You can just wear them as a pair of dark jeans, however you like, all jeans fade over time, better to have natural than artificial...

matsusgarden

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. Is it true that they will bleed on my clothes and shoes? Also, is it true that they will be skin-tight? Because I like my clothes slim-fitting, but I can't stand anything tight.

Also, to the post made earlier, RRL = Ralph Lauren, right?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsusgarden
Sounds reasonable. Is it true that they will bleed on my clothes and shoes? Also, is it true that they will be skin-tight? Because I like my clothes slim-fitting, but I can't stand anything tight.

Also, to the post made earlier, RRL = Ralph Lauren, right?

Skin tight only if you want a skin tight jean
Some will bleed, APCs don't really bleed, throw them in the washing machine once, and that should get out alot of excess indigo... Some $300 japanese jeans will bleed for a while, but I am sure you aren't getting those..

RRL = Ralph Lauren, but not the Polo RL Line, the RRL line

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
another option is to check out the Secret Service affiliate thread, that store is the guy (Chad) behind Crate denim and his "Journal" or "Route" jeans are raw selvedge (Cone Mills denim, cut and sewn in USA) and with their 25% discount to SFers, you can get them for around $100
+10000000 Other than that option I'd go RRL off ebay. Crate first, though.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Levis 501 STF and 514s in soft rigid. Around 30 bucks in Levis stores. Far better than any mall store brands for under 100 bucks.

freelance robotics

Reaction score
how do people like Good Society denim? there was a bit of stir when they came up, as they seemed to be a really good "basic jean" at a good price point (especially for organic cotton), but they never really ended up making that much of a splash after they debuted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads