• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wallet: black or brown?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new wallet because: a) current one looking a little drab and b) want one to accommodate my new (pain-in-the-arse-sized paper ID card). I'm not looking to spend a fortune on Valextra, Montblanc et al but something that will hopefully look better with age and set me back no more than €70-€80/$90-$100. I'm looking for one sometimes to fit into a rear pocket, so none of the narrow/long ones.... If no suggestions for a particular brand, care to vote for black or brown, as I can't decide? Thanks

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, the only time I wear black shoes or a black belt/watch strap is when I have a suit on. When I have a suit on, I "think" I take my wallet out less often anyway.

Most of the time (especially when running errands) I'm wearing brown shoes and taking out the wallet a lot . . . or at least more than I care to.

zerosum

Reaction score
"Brown's the ****, man."

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally, I think you need one of each.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Personally, I think you need one of each.

Agreed. I have one, full size brown Polo bi-fold wallet that I bought at the store in BH and a small card/money wallet by Jack Spade which is black leather on one side and a Barbour-esque fabric on the other. I use the smaller one for nights on the town and when I am wearing a suit or am a little more dressy. I take them both on trips. I am obsessive AND compulsive.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Black to contrast with your Dark Oak shoes.
devil.gif

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Mine is denim blue. Get something interesting.
Denim blue leather? Which fashion era are we in with this? 80s stonewash colour, noughties dry selvedge colour...?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
prova piquadro, piquadro costano piu o meno questo prezzo.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a brown wallet for the simple reason that I kept losing my black one inside my black briefcase! Even if you have a brown briefcase, the chances are it will be a different shade of brown.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is yellow

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Mine is yellow

Bright colors are fun to have, too. I probably have about 15 wallets in all colors, depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going. Standard black and brown for most days, but random odd colors for going out can be neat. Yellow is nice, as is blue, but also white, olive, grey, etc. If you dress rather subdued (like I do), having one point of color in the form of a bright belt or wallet can keep everything from feeling a little too stodgy.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Mine a Paul Smith bright yellow grained leather wallet with brown leather interior. I've had it for a few years and I like flashing it on days when I feel too conservative business dress
smile.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mine was sort of a light olive/chartruese pebble grain when new, which turned a cool dark antique olive after some time in the back pocket of raw jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads