• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wall Street Journal article: Cucinelli vs. $100 cashmere (+ question!)

malefic

Reaction score
I found this article on the WSJ, which pits a thousand-dollar Cucinelli cashmere knit against a competitor's hundred-dollar equivalent: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119629923865107298.html The obvious question, and one I wanted to ask even before I saw the article, is whether cheaper cashmere is worth it at all. If the stuff is sold to couturiers in an auction format, surely the highest-grade stuff is going for the most money, so cheap clothiers simply can't afford the same divine fluff that went into my recently acquired US$3,800 Marc Jacobs hoodie. On eBay I see pure cashmere sweaters/hoodies/etc. by Hilfiger selling for <$50 incl. shipping. Is that worth it? I see John Varvatos and Vince cashmere for $100-150, is that worth it? What about Prada cashmere for $200? There is a cashmere hoodie-sweater by Hermes listed right now that looks absolutely gorgeous, but it's $2.2K -- worth it? Incidentally, I have an Hermes cashmere & silk V-neck sweater I picked up for almost 300 bucks and it is soft as ****! Way softer than my Club Monaco cashmere hoodie, but maybe that's partly as a result of the silk? Then again I bought a pure cashmere hoodie by Dirty English (it's lined with rabbit fur) and it's way softer than the Monaco even without silk. So as the WSJ rightly concluded, higher prices do get you higher quality. BUT . . . . Is it worth buying a couple of Hilfiger-level pure cashmere sweaters for $40-50 each, or more worth it to spend $100 on John Varvatos cashmere or $200 on Prada, or is it best to just save all that dough so at the end instead of 25 Nothing-designer cashmeres I have just one by Hermes or Loro Piana or a similar company? I think in a lot of similar questions, taste enters the equation, but here I think it ought to be possible to divorce ourselves from subjectivity. I'm talking about relatively simple garments, so complex structure/tailoring/detailing don't really matter, I shouldn't think (or do they? Weigh in!), it is purely a matter of the direct financial value of the cashmere in question. How much softer is the expensive stuff? Would you (do you) buy it, or stick to the cheaper brands? Is there even any difference?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard when you talk about $1,000 sweaters.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As I have said in another post, my J.Crew cashmere sweaters, purchased for $49 on sale have served their purpose well. They fit nicely enough for casual environments, and the quality of the fabric is very good. That said, I have a $1300 thick Loro Piana cashmere sweater that I have had for 4 times as long as the J.Crews, and it retains its original shape, does not pill, and is the pinnacle of luxury. There is a difference, but IMO only after you wear it for a few seasons will you see how they wear.

malefic

Reaction score
^ There is some insane LP and RLPL cashmere outerwear on eBay and in B&S right now. I wish I wasn't dead broke.
musicboohoo[1].gif

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by malefic
cheap clothiers simply can't afford the same divine fluff that went into my recently acquired US$3,800 Marc Jacobs hoodie

please tell me you didnt pay $3800 for a hoodie.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by malefic
^ There is some insane LP and RLPL cashmere outerwear on eBay and in B&S right now. I wish I wasn't dead broke.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Ill sell you some J.Crew cashmere. I geeve you good price, my friend!
bounce2.gif

malefic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
please tell me you didnt pay $3800 for a hoodie.
$444! Less than a lot of crappy, entry-level cashmere at Canadian retail prices.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ill sell you some J.Crew cashmere. I geeve you good price, my friend!
bounce2.gif

heh, well if it's anything like this or this shoot me a PM. In all seriousness, though, I don't like J Crew. I'm okay with "simple" and I'm okay with "preppy" but they have to be offset by "luxe" -- and I don't think that's a word in any danger of being applied to J Crew any time soon.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ Those are coats, one actually was listed in B&amp;S here not that long ago.

I should have specified, that I was talking about their classic V neck sweaters, nothing to them, and visually no different than RLPL, LP, BC, etc. The cashmere is nice, luxe, and a classic design. And they are inexpensive. Thats a fair enough trade for me for one season, maybe 2 of wear.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ehh. No matter what I spend, they all end up as moth food.

I'm just feeling bitter because i just found two holes in my favorite cashmere sweater. I will have my revenge, believe you me. If I can't find the moths, I might have to take it out on some ladybugs.

perpetua

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I'm in the &quot;buy more cheaper&quot; camp, not just because of my limited means but also because variety is necessary. Even if I get a great deal on a top-end sweater (say, $250 marked down from the article's hypothesized $1000), I could get four J. Crew sweaters for the same price. You'd better bet I'll get more use out of a palette of sweaters (I'm inclined to say navy, medium gray, light gray, and bright red) than a single color, no matter how soft it might feel. Moreover, rotating four sweaters means each should last longer than the single nice one, even accounting for the differential pilling rate.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I know is that pilling sucks. once it starts, it renders a fine sweater useless for anything other than wearing under something else

John_Edward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by perpetua
Interesting thread. I'm in the "buy more cheaper" camp, not just because of my limited means but also because variety is necessary. Even if I get a great deal on a top-end sweater (say, $250 marked down from the article's hypothesized $1000), I could get four J. Crew sweaters for the same price. You'd better bet I'll get more use out of a palette of sweaters (I'm inclined to say navy, medium gray, light gray, and bright red) than a single color, no matter how soft it might feel. Moreover, rotating four sweaters means each should last longer than the single nice one, even accounting for the differential pilling rate.
That's my approach. If you're starting from naught, having one posh jumper's going to look brilliant the first few times you've worn it. And then you'll look like someone who's spent all his budget on one article of clothing. Though, I can't imagine that's the case here.
Originally Posted by Tarmac
All I know is that pilling sucks. once it starts, it renders a fine sweater useless for anything other than wearing under something else
This does me in. I've seen advertised a device (essentially an electric razor) which is meant to rectify this. I've never tried it nor have I asked after it until now. I assume it's either ineffective or you're not familiar with it (or a combination with an 'effective' chucked in for good measure). If it works, I could use one. Bluey's been retired for this reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics