• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone else who only walks (in my case for about 40-60 minutes every other day, in the least). I have found this to be extremely health-furthering and combined with a very small routine of sit-ups I could also lose some weight, too!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Walking instead fo say driving is always good, as is walking instead of sitting still. However, walking shouldn't be your only source of cardio. Its always good to do some more fast-paced cardio. Losing weight, btw starts in the kitchen.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, and I also think in (child) education. I for example had a nice granny and mother who cooked for me and who have somehow passed on a craving for self-cooked 'fresh' food, and be it only some soup with vegetables or pasta...even going to a 'proper' restaurant (rather than fast food) every day doesn't satisfy me; after a short time I feel the need to cook something myself, maybe it has something to do with that old saying that one puts a small part of oneself into ones cuisine, some part of ones very spirit that also could be passed on to ones loved ones or guests, for example.

Till now and at this time the walking and the sit-ups seem sufficient. I don't do any sports right now but I did a lot (skiing, tennis, swimming, squash) when I was a teen and a twen.
smile.gif

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
any type of exercise, no matter what kind, is better than sitting on your butt.
i'd say go for it!

forStyle

Reaction score
If you walk 60 minutes a day, you might as well drive that distance in 20 minutes, run for 20, and freshen up for 20. Same amount of time but you accomplish so much more.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with walking. The problem is that too often, people over estimate the benefits of walking. Walking around the block a few times is barely exercise, but you'll often hear people equating this minimal amount of activity to "working out." It's certainly better than doing nothing; I'm amazed at how many people subtly go out of their way to do any surplus walking (i.e. waiting several minutes for an elevator to take them up a floor or two).

spence

Reaction score
If you want a work out from walking you have to really pump your arms.

innerstyle

Reaction score
I've been on vacations where I ate a ton but walked a lot each day and I didn't gain any weight.

I'd replace the situps with pushups and pullups to work your upper body, you'll get more bang for your buck doing those movements versus situps.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walk at least 1 hr every day. I don't feel like I get any exercise from it, although my legs are fatigued after a 3 hr walkabout. It's more of a meditation than anything.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forStyle
If you walk 60 minutes a day, you might as well drive that distance in 20 minutes, run for 20, and freshen up for 20. Same amount of time but you accomplish so much more.

Walking is far more enjoyable than all of that though.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forStyle

If you have weight loss in mind, walking is better than running.

I always walk mainly due to the fact, I'm a dog owner, so he needs to go for a walk and also I like walking, most days I walk 5-7k with my dog plus what ever I'm doing that day, so some days it's 10k+, usually when I go on holiday it's a city break and there I can easily hit 10k as well a day.

roryben

Reaction score
I walk to and from work every day, which is a little over half an hour each way. I'm sure it's got health benefits, but I don't have to worry about missing the train or getting stuck in traffic.

But mainly, it's because it's a nice little bit of quiet "me time" every day.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I live in LA, and as the pop hits from the '80s teach us, nobody walks here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I walk my dog for about a half hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Unfortunately, it's the only exercise I do now, but it beats doing nothing.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Walking is great but not when it rains or snows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads