• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking shoes

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good pair of walking shoes. I couldn't give 2 $hits about style. This is 100 percent function. I want something that will allow me to traipse all over Magic Kingdom with my kid in the summer with shorts and a T-shirt and won't leave my feet feeling destroyed at the end of the day.

Mephisto, especially the Match model, gets a lot of pub. I was wondering if anyone here could vouch for Mephisto for a shoe like I need, and if so, where are the best places to get them? I really like this pair I saw on Ebay, I've never seen the Match in Rainbuck before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mephisto-Match-R...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't mind buying it in bone, white or brown, if I have to, as appearance is not of primary importance in this instance. But can anyone recommend a good online retailer that would likely have the above model? OR does someone have a better rec than Mephisto?

Thanks

tsherry

Reaction score
I have a pair and use them for exactly what you mentioned. They are heavier than they look, but do indeed let you walk around on streets and sidewalks all day (especially when worn with smartwool socks). My 13 year old calls them my "Grampa shoes". That used to bother me, but now that I have 5 grandbabies, I just answer "but I am a grampa"!

I got them from Nordstroms.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I do a lot of walking and have owned Mephisto shoes. Can't say that they are worth the money as they don't walk any better than many other cheaper shoes. You say style is not of any concern so why not just buy a pair of cheap sports shoes and be done with it?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
I do a lot of walking and have owned Mephisto shoes. Can't say that they are worth the money as they don't walk any better than many other cheaper shoes. You say style is not of any concern so why not just buy a pair of cheap sports shoes and be done with it?

My experience with cheap sneakers and the like is that my feet just ache like hell at the end of a day that includes a lot of walking.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of asics athletic shoes, they might have some solid walking shoes as well. At any rate, www.shoes.com is a good place to look around for something you like.

JR88

Reaction score
If you think you may encounter rugged terrain, I'd recommend the All Rounder by Mephisto. Mine have performed admirably, from the Great Wall to Central Park. And despite their looks, they do great on level asphalt too. Apart from the time they dislocated my patella, no complaints whatsoever.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would check out Reebok Rain Walkers.

They are the most comfortable walking shoes you will ever try, and when it rains they remain completely dry (even in heavy rain).

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
I've been walking all day with my Adidas Mat Hogs and my feet rarely get sore. First couple of days as I adjusted from my others shoes I was a bit more sore but now I barely notice anything. It's surprising since they don't have any cushioning.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
I've been walking all day with my Adidas Mat Hogs and my feet rarely get sore. First couple of days as I adjusted from my others shoes I was a bit more sore but now I barely notice anything. It's surprising since they don't have any cushioning.

I too am seeking some thing of ultra comfort. I would almost prefer a lace up boot and use it to work in a well but the ones you show on e-Bay look comfortable as well. I cannot wear any reboks I have gotten nearly as well as nike due to my high arches. Reboks seem to be for the flat floots. I also had some aisic gels and they simply did not perform nor last but I got a foot locker to exchange them.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to update this I spoke to my foot doctor today, as I had a regular appointment to check my foot on which I had surgery this week. I asked him and he told me not to waste money on Mephisto. He said New Balance is the best and you should not spend more than $60-$80. They have a ton of models, and STP has a few in the $40 range.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
My sister always supports new balance and they support her in cancer marathon runs. I have never seen a pair of new balance but I will now.

I thank you for the info. I may need some surgury as well as I think I have a bone spur but mostly I need lipo suction on my spare tire gut to get the weight off my feet.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gladhatter
.. mostly I need lipo suction on my spare tire gut to get the weight off my feet.

LOL. Actually I had a crooked little toe as I broke it a few years ago and it never healed properly. Over time I developed a massive corn that was almost tumor like. I had a lot of damaged cartilage and **** in there and he cut it out and put 7 stiches in the toe. I'm looking forward to being able to wear my shoes without pain once again.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Mother had same and ended up losing most of her toe and all the insides of it in 3 operations and then had to have the nerve killed to it. She has never walked well since and had a heck of a time finding shoes.

I am about to buy several pairs of new balance of eBay.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I've got a captive audience:

I walk a lot, generally in leather soled shoes (i.e. I'll go out walking in the city for an hour at lunch rather than sitting at my desk, and I'll walk two miles each way to a shop rather than cycling / driving / public transport).

Given I wear soles out, I was thinking of getting a pair of C&J Dainite soled shoes for casual wear. Can anyone comment on the relative comfort of these compared to either a conventional leather-soled shoe, and compared to some of the shoes discussed above (Mephisto etc)? My thanks in advance.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I had heard the same about NB. So, I bought one. I now own about 6 pair and they are indeed the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads