• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walk-Over Shoe Company

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a couple pairs of shoes made by "Walk-Over" shoe company on EBay. They are nice looking, but I've never heard of the company before. Google reveals that they have been in the US for many years, but I didn't see anything about them being a current shoemaker.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until they went out of business about ten years ago, I think, they were America's oldest continuing shoe factory. They speciallized in bucks and saddle shoes, with a little traditional dress shoe manufacturing. They produced just about everyones bucks - Cole Hann, J&M, etc., etc.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until they went out of business about ten years ago, I think, they were America's oldest continuing shoe factory.  They speciallized in bucks and saddle shoes, with a little traditional dress shoe manufacturing.  They produced just about everyones bucks - Cole Hann, J&M, etc., etc.
I had those old bucks, dirty and white (back when branded ColeHaan and before that J&M). Great quality for a really decent price.

Last time I bought a pair of ColeHaans, it was probably late 80's. I bought the dirty bucks for maybe $89 or $99. American made.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
They used to be the shoe supplier for NYC's beloved and defunct "New Republic", and I still have a couple of pair in my closet.

Medium quality. The leather is plastic-covered and of mediocre quality. Soles are either glues together or blake stitched. They served me well for years, but got less attractive as they get older.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I had both white and dirty bucks from WalkOver in college ('77-'81) and they gave good service; could these be new-old stock?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seller in the auction says he bought them at the Walk-Over shoe store in Chicago in 1999.

armscye

Reaction score
Walk-Over was a primary supplier to Filene's, and was I believed purchased by them as part of a last-ditch survival effort. I think they went out around 1992. I have a very nice pair of captoes that are uncorrected grain, Goodyear last (non stitched aloft). The only oddity was that when I had the heels replaced, my shoemaker told me the original heel was made of stacked pieces of cardboard

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads