• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Walk-Over Shoe Company

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a couple pairs of shoes made by "Walk-Over" shoe company on EBay. They are nice looking, but I've never heard of the company before. Google reveals that they have been in the US for many years, but I didn't see anything about them being a current shoemaker.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until they went out of business about ten years ago, I think, they were America's oldest continuing shoe factory. They speciallized in bucks and saddle shoes, with a little traditional dress shoe manufacturing. They produced just about everyones bucks - Cole Hann, J&M, etc., etc.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until they went out of business about ten years ago, I think, they were America's oldest continuing shoe factory.  They speciallized in bucks and saddle shoes, with a little traditional dress shoe manufacturing.  They produced just about everyones bucks - Cole Hann, J&M, etc., etc.
I had those old bucks, dirty and white (back when branded ColeHaan and before that J&M). Great quality for a really decent price.

Last time I bought a pair of ColeHaans, it was probably late 80's. I bought the dirty bucks for maybe $89 or $99. American made.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
They used to be the shoe supplier for NYC's beloved and defunct "New Republic", and I still have a couple of pair in my closet.

Medium quality. The leather is plastic-covered and of mediocre quality. Soles are either glues together or blake stitched. They served me well for years, but got less attractive as they get older.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I had both white and dirty bucks from WalkOver in college ('77-'81) and they gave good service; could these be new-old stock?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seller in the auction says he bought them at the Walk-Over shoe store in Chicago in 1999.

armscye

Reaction score
Walk-Over was a primary supplier to Filene's, and was I believed purchased by them as part of a last-ditch survival effort. I think they went out around 1992. I have a very nice pair of captoes that are uncorrected grain, Goodyear last (non stitched aloft). The only oddity was that when I had the heels replaced, my shoemaker told me the original heel was made of stacked pieces of cardboard

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.