Walk-Over Shoe Company

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Jan 6, 2005.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

There are a couple pairs of shoes made by "Walk-Over" shoe company on EBay. They are nice looking, but I've never heard of the company before. Google reveals that they have been in the US for many years, but I didn't see anything about them being a current shoemaker.

2. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Until they went out of business about ten years ago, I think, they were America's oldest continuing shoe factory. They speciallized in bucks and saddle shoes, with a little traditional dress shoe manufacturing. They produced just about everyones bucks - Cole Hann, J&M, etc., etc.

3. Horace

Horace Senior member

I had those old bucks, dirty and white (back when branded ColeHaan and before that J&M). Great quality for a really decent price.

Last time I bought a pair of ColeHaans, it was probably late 80's. I bought the dirty bucks for maybe $89 or $99. American made.

4. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Watch out for Dexter, they bought the name when the company went out of biz.

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

They used to be the shoe supplier for NYC's beloved and defunct "New Republic", and I still have a couple of pair in my closet.

Medium quality. The leather is plastic-covered and of mediocre quality. Soles are either glues together or blake stitched. They served me well for years, but got less attractive as they get older.

6. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

I had both white and dirty bucks from WalkOver in college ('77-'81) and they gave good service; could these be new-old stock?

7. kabert

kabert Senior member

The seller in the auction says he bought them at the Walk-Over shoe store in Chicago in 1999.

8. armscye

armscye Senior member

Walk-Over was a primary supplier to Filene's, and was I believed purchased by them as part of a last-ditch survival effort. I think they went out around 1992. I have a very nice pair of captoes that are uncorrected grain, Goodyear last (non stitched aloft). The only oddity was that when I had the heels replaced, my shoemaker told me the original heel was made of stacked pieces of cardboard