Waling stick v. cane

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marc237, Mar 28, 2005.

1. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Yesterday, I found in the basement refuse area of my apartment building a lovely parrot headed stick. I would normally have thought of it as a walking stick (very tapered, very interesting alternating bands of different colored woods, the avian head, etc.), but it had a heavy cane-like rubber tip.

This got me to wondering what the actual difference is between a walking stick and a cane. Is is just the tip? On a side note, are there any circumstances left in this day and age where a walking stick would not just be too much of an affectation?

2. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

A cane is for people that actually need help walking... A walking stick is an affectation. Bradford [​IMG]

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have always thought that canes had a crooked handle up top, whereas walking sticks had some sort of bulb or decoration. Yet, if it's got a rubber stopper at the bottom, it's clearly a cane. Walking sticks generally have a hard metal tip, to make a nice, loud "click" as the stick strikes concrete, or marble, or whatever.

I agree with Bradford on the rest.

4. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

W waling stick would be something my father used on me when I was a naughty boy, a cane on the other hand would definitely be a shaped stick with a curved handle IWT. check this site Canes and Sticks

5. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

According to Oscar Lenius (p. 157) a walking stick is any implement to aid walking whereas a cane is one made of bamboo.

B

6. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

Just for giggles, this fellow handmakes some of the nicer walking sticks I've seen. Even has a parrot headed one. I wish they weren't such an affectation, I'd get one. www.borispalatnik.com

7. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

You could always just be really affected and get yourself a sword cane - just don't try and take it on an airplane [​IMG] Bradford

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I always thought a walking stick was designed to beat any dogs that might attack you while you are taking your afternoon stroll. [​IMG]

9. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Cliff @ Mar. 28 2005,09:44) Just for giggles, this fellow handmakes some of the nicer walking sticks I've seen. Â Even has a parrot headed one. Â I wish they weren't such an affectation, I'd get one. www.borispalatnik.com
    You could always just be really affected and get yourself a sword cane - just don't try and take it on an airplane  [​IMG] Bradford
    I tried to buy one at Smith in London. They thought I was a freak, which might've been true that day. I walked in with a couple of friends, one of them a skinhead artist that lives in London.