• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walgreen and Whitmor hangers compared

GMF

Reaction score
Well, my order of Whitmor suit hangers arrived today. I find these hangers to be vastly superior to the Walgreen hanger, and at $5.99 each they are a fantastic bargain.

The finish on the Whitmor hanger is a very nice cherry with a very high gloss. The workmanship is much better than on the Walgreen, and is even superior to the $9.99 hangers sold at Bed, Bath & Beyond. And unlike the Walgreen hanger, the Whitmor is made from two solid pieces of wood joined at the yoke. (The shoulder pieces on the Walgreen hanger are carved from separate pieces of wood and glued on.)

Here's the Walgreen hanger:

001.jpg

Here's the Whitmor hanger:

002.jpg

Here's how they compare at the yoke. Notice how the Walgreen hanger is as thin as a typical "skinny" suit hanger. The Whitmor is nice and wide and gives the jacket collar and shoulder area better support.

005.jpg

Here you can see the overly wide shoulder pieces of the Walgreen hanger (which are glued on) and the solid, but somewhat narrower, shoulder support area of the Whitmor and how it tapers gracefully into the bridge and yoke.

004.jpg

amblus

Reaction score
could you measure the shoulder width of each hanger?

GMF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amblus
could you measure the shoulder width of each hanger?

Sorry, I should have included that. They are both 18" wide.

Rocker

Reaction score
Who's Whitmor and where do I get them. I have hangers very similar to the the one pictured and have been paying a good deal more than $5.99.

Edit: Nevermind - found them. Wow have I been getting screwed! I think those are the same hangers I've been paying quite a lot more for. Thanks.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the width of the shoulder bar really that important on a practical level, in terms of maintaining the shape and/or longevity of the jacket? The feature I tend to look more is curvature that mimics the actual curve of your back, so the jacket when hung maintains close to the same shape that it has when you're actually wearing the jacket. I have a bunch of inexpensive molded plastic hangers that seem to have more curve than either of the two hangers shown, and I'd always that that was more important. Is that not the case?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads