• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Waistcoats - Are they canvased?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are, well-made, odd waistcoats usually canvassed? I assume so, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, is it possible to have a waistcoat made that does not have a lining? Do you think this would be desirable? I'm thinking of wool (suiting) waistcoats and also odd velvet ones.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My waistcoat do have canvas.
>Is it possible to have a waistcoat made that does not have a lining?
Of course it is possible, but what for? If it is too hot, then you shouldn't wear waistcoat, so why would you want to get rid of the lining?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Are, well-made, odd waistcoats usually canvassed? I assume so, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, is it possible to have a waistcoat made that does not have a lining? Do you think this would be desirable? I'm thinking of wool (suiting) waistcoats and also odd velvet ones.

I think my waistcoats are canvassed and one or two do have linings...

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vests have canvas, but it's not the same as the "canvas" used in a jacket. The latter is a term of art for a two, three or four layer concoction that the tailor either buys or makes himself. Vest canvas only has one layer. Also, it does not need to be pad-stitced to the fronts in the same way.

I'm not sure what the point would be to getting a vest with no lining. Typically, only the front of a vest is cloth. The back is lining -- an outer layer, which matches the coat's body lining, and an inner layer which matches the coat's sleeve lining. The inner layer of course covers not just the back but the fronts too.

Skipping the lining, as others noted, will hardly make the suit any cooler, and vests are supposed to be warm not cool anyway.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots

Yes, they're canvassed.

I believe one can get "backless" formal waistcoats that are supposed to be cooler when worn with white or black tie outfits. I'm sure you could get something similar for regular 3 piece suits. But as other have said, I don't think there would be much mileage in doing this, and it would look pretty odd if you took the jacket off.

I think Ralph Lauren had some cotton Polo 3-pc suits a year or two back, in surprisingly formal patterns (eg navy pinstripes). I didn't like the look at all, but I guess it might be interesting to see what they did with the waistcoat to keep it cool.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Carmina

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 72 32.6%