• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waistcoat

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
What's happened to you Sator?
eh.gif

A fatal moment of weakness.

More seriously, I find that some historical styles are dreadful and contemporary commentators often thought so too. Many poked fun at Oscar Wilde's aesthetic dress stuff and I can see their point. Here he is wearing a dress coat with ridiculously wide shawl collars:

OscarWilde_dresssuit_1882.jpg

Was this the inspiration for Manton's waistcoat???

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Was this the inspiration for Manton's waistcoat???
No!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I guess it was Apparel Arts. My first DB vest (from about 10 years ago) had these anemic lapels that I was never happy with.

Even the pictures of Victorian waistcoats rarely show anything with such a wide collar. I think it was daring but it really did work. Good show.

This plate comes from 1876:

Waistcoats_1876.jpg

I think it is a good illustration of how waistcoats can add flair, style and drama to an otherwise conservative ensemble. This is definitely how they wore waistcoats in the 19th century, and you can judiciously do a little of the same to great effect today.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Stolen from Will's blog - I don't think manton's lapels are all that bigger than the lapels on the 2nd guy from the left. The shawl lapels from 1876 look rather wimpy to me.

vests.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This illustration above all was the inspiration:

graysbqi9.jpg

Except I did not want the point at the center bottom edge, I raised the button stance considerably and spread out the distance between buttons, and I went with eight rather than six total buttons.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And they look better, since they're on a real person, not a drawing. Even my wife says so.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
And they look better, since they're on a real person, not a drawing. Even my wife says so.

She's just saying that because she likes my cooking.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stolen from Will's blog - I don't think manton's lapels are all that bigger than the lapels on the 2nd guy from the left. The shawl lapels from 1876 look rather wimpy to me.
Manton's is definitely more dramatic - wider and with altogether more belly.

JamesT

Reaction score
Db vests are fantastic. So fantastic that I'm going to wear one tomorrow.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
Db vests are fantastic. So fantastic that I'm going to wear one tomorrow.

Isn't it in the 60s or 70s by now in Chicago? You may melt.

JamesT

Reaction score
Isn't it in the 60s or 70s by now in Chicago? You may melt.

As some of the members here can attest, last summer when it was in the 90's with 90% humidity I was be-decked in 12oz wool and said waistcoat.

I was attempting to follow Sator's beachwear advice.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
As some of the members here can attest, last summer when it was in the 90's with 90% humidity I was be-decked in 12oz wool and said waistcoat.

I was attempting to follow Sator's beachwear advice.

eek.gif
- you are hardcore!

berty2001

Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. Go away for few days and come back to a full on discussion. I've opted for a pale grey waistcoat. Wasn't sure when I bought it but have tried it on and looks great. i'll post pictures after the event if you at all interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads