Waistcoat Fabric Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zeero3, Apr 2, 2012.

1. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

I purchased a navy single-breasted peak-lapel suit for my wedding in December. It took a while to find the suit, but now that that's out of the way......

I want to turn my attention to getting the double-breasted waistcoat. The selection, from what I've seen during my research on here, is somewhat limited, and I do have a few questions:

First, is there anything inherently "not right" about wearing a wool suit and a linen waistcoat in December? Should the weight of the fabric be fairly close? If there is enough room to bend here, I am considering this waistcoat from Pakeman.

http://www.pakeman.co.uk/product/1327/8486_DB_Linen_Waistcoat_Blue

I don't want to spend the more than double price I'm seeing from vendors like Favourbook. Any opinions, in any form, to that waistcoat would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm a 38 short and fear any vest I buy will be too long. Is this fear a little unfounded? Any "short" guys buy a waistcoat from an online vendor and end up being pleased or disappointed with the length?

I was originally interested in something more subtle, as in a light gray, but Pakeman is limited to only one color in wool. Thoughts on the light blue or possibly a buff vest?

Thanks in advance....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

2. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Bump for anyone with waistcoat experience...

3. john parker

john parker Well-Known Member

I have zero experience with waistcoats or waistcoat materials. However, believe that within the last year there was a thread about waistcoasts revolving around one of the British horse race events. Epsom? At any rate, the waistcoat that Prince Charles was wearing was pictured; and there were a number of posts, mostly as I recall, where one could purchase one. Perhaps a search on the forum? Good luck!

4. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Thanks John! I've already searched and read NUMEROUS threads on waistcoats. But I haven't seen anything about wearing a vest made of a contrasting fabric. I want to know if it would be a faux pas before I commit.

5. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Linen waistcoats are the standard with morning suits and equally fine with worsteds. I wouldn't wear one with flannel.

6. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Thanks Will..... I still read your blog daily!