1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Waistcoat Fabric Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zeero3, Apr 2, 2012.

1. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

I purchased a navy single-breasted peak-lapel suit for my wedding in December. It took a while to find the suit, but now that that's out of the way......

I want to turn my attention to getting the double-breasted waistcoat. The selection, from what I've seen during my research on here, is somewhat limited, and I do have a few questions:

First, is there anything inherently "not right" about wearing a wool suit and a linen waistcoat in December? Should the weight of the fabric be fairly close? If there is enough room to bend here, I am considering this waistcoat from Pakeman.

http://www.pakeman.co.uk/product/1327/8486_DB_Linen_Waistcoat_Blue

I don't want to spend the more than double price I'm seeing from vendors like Favourbook. Any opinions, in any form, to that waistcoat would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm a 38 short and fear any vest I buy will be too long. Is this fear a little unfounded? Any "short" guys buy a waistcoat from an online vendor and end up being pleased or disappointed with the length?

I was originally interested in something more subtle, as in a light gray, but Pakeman is limited to only one color in wool. Thoughts on the light blue or possibly a buff vest?

Thanks in advance....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Bump for anyone with waistcoat experience...

3. john parker

john parker Well-Known Member

I have zero experience with waistcoats or waistcoat materials. However, believe that within the last year there was a thread about waistcoasts revolving around one of the British horse race events. Epsom? At any rate, the waistcoat that Prince Charles was wearing was pictured; and there were a number of posts, mostly as I recall, where one could purchase one. Perhaps a search on the forum? Good luck!

4. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Thanks John! I've already searched and read NUMEROUS threads on waistcoats. But I haven't seen anything about wearing a vest made of a contrasting fabric. I want to know if it would be a faux pas before I commit.

5. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Linen waistcoats are the standard with morning suits and equally fine with worsteds. I wouldn't wear one with flannel.

6. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Thanks Will..... I still read your blog daily!

1 person likes this.