• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waistcoat as casual wear

maxevans

Reaction score
Forget about the general rules of wearing a waistcoat: shirt untucked, waistcoat not long enough to cover the belt.

How do you think about waistcoat as casual wear like Primeval star Andrew Lee Potts? That cowboy looks seem fine to me. Still is that too forward or oh-so-what?

velobran

Reaction score
I think waistcoats can look nice. I think their days are done in these circles now that GQ dedicated an entire spread to waistcoats and how to wear them. I recently recall reading something else about them that described them as if they are a mainstream clothing item. I still think they can look great with a suit (a 3 piece suit) or even layered in the winter months, but the days of hipsters pairing them with a deep V and skinny jeans are numbered.

freelance robotics

Reaction score
i've been really into waistcoats for a while and i think a good wool vest adds a nice amount of extra warmth in the winter, but i can't stand people who wear it over a t-shirt (ESPECIALLY a short sleeved t-shirt) or wear really dressy colors like black or pinstripes.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxevans
Forget about the general rules of wearing a waistcoat: shirt untucked, waistcoat not long enough to cover the belt.

How do you think about waistcoat as casual wear like Primeval star Andrew Lee Potts? That cowboy looks seem fine to me. Still is that too forward or oh-so-what?

That's not casual wear though, more like half-ass dressy done wrong...
eek.gif

Something like this should work though:
eg88a.jpg

Shawl Collar Waist Coat, Woolrich Woolen Mills Wool, ~$275
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=158

look17.jpg

Engineered Garments plaid down vest (same thread)
drool.gif

or on the cheaper side of things, J Crew wool vest: http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat270091

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
imo waistcoats worn as casual wear, with jeans etc, looks douche-y and should be avoided at all costs

neon

Reaction score
My opinion is that everything can work on a right person at the right time done on a right way, but we're talking about those rare moments of true inspiration... Most of the time (99,99%) it doesn't work that way and it's better to respect certain 'rules' like the one that says waistcoats are for dressing up, and as whacked said only 'casual' waistcoats or more correct vests can work as casual wear. Something called 'creative dressing' (think Johnny Depp) is closest for waistcoats to work in a non three piece suits setting.

slipgun

Reaction score
I don't mind the picture too much, but avoid anything designed to be worn with a suit (no satin buckle backs). I wear a vintage Pendleton plaid over a henley or long-sleeved tee sometimes.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
imo waistcoats worn as casual wear, with jeans etc, looks douche-y and should be avoided at all costs
Mostly, yeah. The picture in the OP only confirms this.

neon

Reaction score
Not exactly the look I would pursue but I think this is done in a non douche-y way:
42nd-St.jpg

Example that it could work with some out of box thinking and guts to pull it off.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a cotton navy pinstripe vest on sale at the Gap to play around with. Same style as this one:
gp472879-00p01v01.jpg
I can't stand how it looks with an unstructured shirt underneath. I think it's not too AmJack/fashion-whore with a tucked-in dress shirt and jeans, though. And for some reason every time I wore it in the fall I got a phone number.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on a wool one with lapels. I think it's a fun piece to play around with.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if they are done right, they can look great. I have a wool one from Rugby, and have yet to build up the balls to wear it, but it looks great whenever I try it on.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
+1

minimalist

Reaction score
In the OP picture it does not look good, but I think that is due to the guy looking like a drug victim...
tounge.gif

But I think a waistcoat can look pretty good... either, say, a black one with black sportcoat and dark jeans, white shirt, nice tie... or some made of wool, matching sportcoat, dark jeans, some shirt and more robust tie... But I would tuck the shirt in any case and wear it more on the dressy side than with a young-outta-trashcan-attitude, if you know what I am saying
wink.gif

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the dress/satin back style is "impossible" to do casually. Looks douchy as Get smart said. What you/I need is an all wool one, like EG or filson, and wear it as a layering piece with a more "rugged" twist... that works.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always see people wearing them in spread in magazines, but outside of celebs, I never see anyone wearing them.

I like waistcoats and vests, but I'd never wear one without a blazer / sportcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads