1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Waist suppression limited for side vent jackets (PICS)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by up1bin, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JTA

JTA Senior member

No offense, but IMHO it is either the suit is wrongly tagged or you misunderstand your size.

2. up1bin

up1bin Well-Known Member

Yeah, the suit looked and felt fine from the front when I took it to my tailor... didn't see how the back/side looked until I got back and decided to take the photos.

I contacted Jeff regarding the suit, hopefully he will have some suggestions. At 5'8" 145lbs, I don't think I have that much of a freak body and most 36 have fit me well. I really do hope its a case of mislabeling because the suit is very nice for the price I paid and I'd really like to make it work.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I guess a picture is worth a thousand words...

3. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Yeah, the suit looked and felt fine from the front when I took it to my tailor... didn't see how the back/side looked until I got back and decided to take the photos.

I contacted Jeff regarding the suit, hopefully he will have some suggestions. At 5'8" 145lbs, I don't think I have that much of a freak body and most 36 have fit me well. I really do hope its a case of mislabeling because the suit is very nice for the price I paid and I'd really like to make it work.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I guess a picture is worth a thousand words...

You're same height and weight as me, and I consistently buy 36 with few exceptions. Hope it's a mis tagged item for you.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

I have the M. Valentino in a 38R, and it's a pretty snug 38R. I'm really surprised you're having the opposite experience. Regardless, Jeff will take care of you, his service is always top-notch.

Also, one more vote for being able to take in the waist. I had no problem having the waist taken in on my side vented M. Valentino, and it came out looking great, so I can attest that it can be done on that very suit! [​IMG]

5. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words...
    Absolutely. You might also want to e-mail the pictures to Jeff so he can see for himself if you haven't already done so.

6. dk123

dk123 Senior member

To the OP, what is the pit-to-pit measurement on the jacket? The jacket also looks quite long for a 36S. What is the length of the jacket from bottom of collar?

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Just a note, after you do size the suit correctly or buy another brand that fits, the waist if taken in a bit, will need to have the vents recut to prevent them from opening up. A good tailor recuts the vents.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^My tailor recuts the vents. The jacket ends up looking very nice.

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Just a note, after you do size the suit correctly or buy another brand that fits, the waist if taken in a bit, will need to have the vents recut to prevent them from opening up. A good tailor recuts the vents.

Recut the vents? How is this done? [​IMG]

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't know, but the jackets look fine when they're returned to me.

11. SkinnyGoomba

Ask your tailor. [​IMG]

12. up1bin

up1bin Well-Known Member

To the OP, what is the pit-to-pit measurement on the jacket? The jacket also looks quite long for a 36S. What is the length of the jacket from bottom of collar?

The length from bottom of collar to end is 29.5" and pit to pit (not sure if i measured the correct location) is 20.25". Not sure how to measure this stuff - do I stretch it taut before measuring or just leave it relaxed? I took relaxed measurements...

I also attached a pic of my Sarar suit jacket - there is a lot more "contouring" on the sides of my Sarar jacket than there is on the M. Valentino. Maybe this is the difference between fit even though they are both Size 36?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. SkinnyGoomba

measure shoulder to shoulder.

The chest measurement is big for a 36, but still in the range. I really doubt its mistagged.

36Reg should be about 38"-40" on the chest, 17.25"-17.75" on the shoulder, 30" BOC on the length

14. up1bin

up1bin Well-Known Member

Just an update on the suit - I contacted Jeff and he promptly asked that I return the suit so that he can take hand measurements, just to be sure he didn't mistakenly send me the wrong size. He also contacted M. Valentino to inquire about why the suit may have been so big.

The problem was solved when M. Valentino clarified that this particular suit was the "Morpheus" model, which is their generous cut suit. Unfortunately, Jeff didn't have any of the slim-fit models on hand in my size in the same color, so he sent me a refund immediately.

Jeff has top notch customer service and has been a pleasure to deal with. Although it didn't work out for me this time around, I highly recommend Jeff and his suits (my tailor was quite impressed by their quality). I decided to take advantage of the Brooks Brothers sale since I needed a suit right away, but I will definitely be going back to him in the future.

15. Lothar

Lothar Senior member

So Morpheus model is for fat guys?

Yeah, that suit definitely was not the right fit for you. Glad to see you got something else.

16. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I decided to take advantage of the Brooks Brothers sale since I needed a suit right away, but I will definitely be going back to him in the future.

So what did you get from BB (model/size)?