Waist suppression limited for side vent jackets (PICS)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by up1bin, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

From the back view, if you fit the waist to your size and not narrow the shoulders and blades you will look like frankenstein or even worse. Jacket is not close enough to your size or proportion to fool with.
    I read this & started to chuckle but it quickly turned to full on laughter when I scrolled down to this:
    [​IMG] - B
    To the OP, your tailor may have given you a simplified answer but ultimately he is correct in that you should return the suit.

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I'm 5'8" and ~145lbs. Usually 36 suits are somewhat snug across the chest/shoulders but I can't jump to a 38 because my waist is barely a 30" and supposedly a recut is needed on a 32" pant.

Not sure why this M. Valentino 36 is larger than other 36's I own... I thought it was supposed to be a slim fitting suit?

Wait you're buying a jacket that is too small to avoid having the waist taken in 2"?

Not all brands are cut the same.

3. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

this no doubt a larger size that has the wrong size ticket sewn in.
    just take it back and get a suit that fits in the shoulders. then have it altered.
    your tailor was trying to tell you diplomatically that you had foolishly bought the wrong size suit
    he was right.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

+1

Prior to blaming the tailor for being an incompetent fool, maybe it would be wise to find out what a suit is supposed to fit like.

If you think a size represents the same measurements industry wide, you aren't qualified to question your tailor.

5. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

He is not totally out to lunch, too much suppression can ruin how the vents sit. Whether this is the case in your suit, I do not know, but I do know that there are limitations on what they can do.

6. JTA

JTA Senior member

No offense, but IMHO it is either the suit is wrongly tagged or you misunderstand your size.

7. up1bin

up1bin Well-Known Member

Yeah, the suit looked and felt fine from the front when I took it to my tailor... didn't see how the back/side looked until I got back and decided to take the photos.

I contacted Jeff regarding the suit, hopefully he will have some suggestions. At 5'8" 145lbs, I don't think I have that much of a freak body and most 36 have fit me well. I really do hope its a case of mislabeling because the suit is very nice for the price I paid and I'd really like to make it work.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I guess a picture is worth a thousand words...

8. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Yeah, the suit looked and felt fine from the front when I took it to my tailor... didn't see how the back/side looked until I got back and decided to take the photos.

I contacted Jeff regarding the suit, hopefully he will have some suggestions. At 5'8" 145lbs, I don't think I have that much of a freak body and most 36 have fit me well. I really do hope its a case of mislabeling because the suit is very nice for the price I paid and I'd really like to make it work.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I guess a picture is worth a thousand words...

You're same height and weight as me, and I consistently buy 36 with few exceptions. Hope it's a mis tagged item for you.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

I have the M. Valentino in a 38R, and it's a pretty snug 38R. I'm really surprised you're having the opposite experience. Regardless, Jeff will take care of you, his service is always top-notch.

Also, one more vote for being able to take in the waist. I had no problem having the waist taken in on my side vented M. Valentino, and it came out looking great, so I can attest that it can be done on that very suit! [​IMG]

10. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words...
    Absolutely. You might also want to e-mail the pictures to Jeff so he can see for himself if you haven't already done so.

11. dk123

dk123 Senior member

To the OP, what is the pit-to-pit measurement on the jacket? The jacket also looks quite long for a 36S. What is the length of the jacket from bottom of collar?

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Just a note, after you do size the suit correctly or buy another brand that fits, the waist if taken in a bit, will need to have the vents recut to prevent them from opening up. A good tailor recuts the vents.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^My tailor recuts the vents. The jacket ends up looking very nice.

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Just a note, after you do size the suit correctly or buy another brand that fits, the waist if taken in a bit, will need to have the vents recut to prevent them from opening up. A good tailor recuts the vents.

Recut the vents? How is this done? [​IMG]

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Recut the vents? How is this done? [​IMG]
    I don't know, but the jackets look fine when they're returned to me.