• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waist measurements

mrchapel

Reaction score
I have a question that may seem a bit weird. Yesterday I was shopping at Nordstrom with my girlfriend. Some pretty good items on sale. A saleswoman (thought it was weird that there were all Men sales staff at the Women's side, and all Women at the Men's side, except for the shoe area) caught me checking out some of the various suits on display.

She asked if I'd like to be measured. I said, sure, why not. She proceeded to take the measurements and took my measurement at the waist to be 37". Now I wear nothing but 34" in the waist, as anything larger will fall off. My question is; how is it that I wear a waist measurement of 34" but the overall waist 37"? How do they measure this when making pants? I was thinking about purchasing some MTM pants, and now I'm wondering which measurement to use. Anyone have any suggestions?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Is this a discussion of proportions of waist vs inseam?

mrchapel

Reaction score
Gah I'm mixed up. Not the inseam. Basically, they measured me in the waist at 37 inches. I wear 34 inches, with a little room to spare. My question is...how are they different? Is it normal to subtract 3 inches to come up with the waist size when making clothes? Or did she just measure wrong?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Perhaps she measured lower towards the hips where you will be larger in width..?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some clothes are cut looser because people don't want to admit that they've put on weight and need a larger waist.

sort of like jerry seinfeld changing the numbers on his jeans.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Hmmm ok, I just dug out the tape measure and am measuring myself. I too am coming up with 37". This is strange; if I wear a 37" waist, it's going to be like wearing a boat. There must be some method, because 37" isn't a standard waist measurement for OTR pants. 32, 34, 36, 38...curious. If I was fatter, I'd notice, but right now I am wearing a pair of trousers from Express that I picked up last week for around $20. Waist size is 34 and its perfect; don't need a belt or anything.
confused.gif

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dapper Dandy
Are you sure you're measuring where you wear your pants?

Yes, I was measuring right above where my pants sit at the waist. Is this incorrect? It's the same place the saleswoman measured last night.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Measure your pants too. Maybe your size 34 is actually a couple inches larger.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some makers "vanity size" their clothes. Other times, when meant to be worn lower, the waistbands will measure greater than the indicated size for obvious reasons.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't Bill Murray's character have the same problem in Stripes when he was being outfitted for his uniform? "Thirty-seven? These are thirty-fours, and they're loose."

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are a 34 waist and a 37. Everone has 2 waist measurements.
37 is your jacket waist. This is above your belt at the love handles. This measure is used to determine the jacket girth at the waist of the jacket, but is too large for your trouser waist. 34 is your trouser waist which would be under your belt. This is always smaller than the jacket waist unless you have abs like on the infomercials and 0 body fat.
If you are wearing unconstructed waistbands, like jeans, you may be able to wear one size smaller than your trouser waist, Jeans sizing and tailored trousers will not be the same.
I presume this sales person is not expierienced enough or properly trained to measure for MTM. It is always best to be measured by an expierienced tailor.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
You are a 34 waist and a 37. Everone has 2 waist measurements.
37 is your jacket waist. This is above your belt at the love handles. This measure is used to determine the jacket girth at the waist of the jacket, but is too large for your trouser waist. 34 is your trouser waist which would be under your belt. This is always smaller than the jacket waist unless you have abs like on the infomercials and 0 body fat.
If you are wearing unconstructed waistbands, like jeans, you may be able to wear one size smaller than your trouser waist, Jeans sizing and tailored trousers will not be the same.
I presume this sales person is not expierienced enough or properly trained to measure for MTM. It is always best to be measured by an expierienced tailor.

THANK YOU for your very informative response. This I suspect is the case. So, as a general rule of thumb (if one exists), how close are jeans and trouser waist sizes?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jean makers differ. Some cut a jean 1" larger than the size on the label to allow for shrinking/stretching. It is at the discretion of the maker. No consistant standard

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Jean makers differ. Some cut a jean 1" larger than the size on the label to allow for shrinking/stretching. It is at the discretion of the maker. No consistant standard

Great, that makes sense. Thanks, Despos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads