• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W.W. Chan's New Website

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just discovered that W.W. Chan now has redone their website, which had not changed (to my knowledge) since I started doing business with them almost six years ago. The old website was pretty lackluster. The new one is much more glitzy and informative, with a lot of the history of the firm, and numerous examples of their work. I am sure existing Chanfans and anyone else interested in possibly using their services will want to check it out.

Same address as before:

www.wwchan.com

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Love the house style pics.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Smart website - like it.

DandySF

Reaction score
I just discovered it myself, earlier today, as I was preparing to book an appt. during their July visit. It's a nice improvement over the previous version.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Nice, would be great if they also included a price list for popular fabrics (to be fair they respond quickly via email for this info)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very, very impressive--with the small exception of some shaky grammar mixed in here and there. European and American tailors could learn a lot from this presentation. I really enjoyed the tidbit on Chan's history and the 'Shanghai' school. I liked that they put in a section to show the house style, but I wish they had pointed out what they consider truly characteristic of their work. There showed so many jackets that it's hard to tell which features are defining and which are incidental. That said, from what I can generally glean, the house style is very pleasing. Everything looks very balanced and 'right', except for wonky open quarters and high buttoning points in some cases--though the former seems to be as much a problem in England. I especially liked the double-breasted jackets, though I'd probably personally prefer wider lapels. If I were to order Chan, assuming they can deliver on fit, I would do their house style, not ask them to emulate something else.

arsenic

Reaction score
Much improved. They must be doing well.

suited&booted

Reaction score
I never knew they were in cahoots with Drakes and Lodger (under the Accessories tab) but then I've only had my suits done up in their Shanghai branch.

Does anyone know if this is just a friendly web link or an actual collaboration?

quar

Reaction score
Are those photographs taken from the HK shop, or the Shanghai shop?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow! Big improvement. I think I even recognize one of those jackets!
smile.gif

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Very, very impressive--with the small exception of some shaky grammar mixed in here and there. European and American tailors could learn a lot from this presentation. I really enjoyed the tidbit on Chan's history and the 'Shanghai' school. I liked that they put in a section to show the house style, but I wish they had pointed out what they consider truly characteristic of their work. There showed so many jackets that it's hard to tell which features are defining and which are incidental. That said, from what I can generally glean, the house style is very pleasing. Everything looks very balanced and 'right', except for wonky open quarters and high buttoning points in some cases--though the former seems to be as much a problem in England. I especially liked the double-breasted jackets, though I'd probably personally prefer wider lapels. If I were to order Chan, assuming they can deliver on fit, I would do their house style, not ask them to emulate something else.
Their English is better than that of most US and UK websites. From what little I know about Chan, their style seems to lean toward cleaner, sharper, more traditionally British styles. But they seem very flexible, and I would think flexibility would count as a house style. If so, then, something written on their "Bespoke Tailoring" page seems to express this in words as well as the pictures do on the "House Style" page:
Originally Posted by Chan website
Bespoke can emulate, and imitate styles up to a certain degree, but at the end of the day it can only be crafted for your form alone. Bespoke & Ready to Wear tailoring are ultimately of different worlds that truly cannot be compared. With Ready to Wear, you inhabit a creation drawn up to fit an industry standard body – prior to any necessary adjustments of your own – and is born out of the styling of its designer. Bespoke places the control in your own hands: the shaping is to your body, the details entirely up to your discernment, the look a result of true collaboration between yourself and your tailor. As the relationship blossoms, so too can your signature style The Chan concept of Bespoke Tailoring is to preserve the essence of bespoke and the trusted principles of quality suiting, yet evolve using the finest of techniques and the acknowledgment of the myriad developments in styles, preferences and society.
Thus, imo, they seek to be tailors more than designers. And I admire that.
Originally Posted by quar
Are those photographs taken from the HK shop, or the Shanghai shop?
Most pics seem to be taken from the HK one.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really wonderful, except for their selection of DBs. Neither of their two examples strike me in the least bit. Can they do a wider, sexier lapel? Their existing silhouette strikes me unimaginative and not very sexy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads