• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W.W. Chan tour vs local tailor

marksman

Reaction score
I live in San Francisco and WW Chan is visiting on tour in April for two days (http://wwchan.com/itinerary.pdf)

My question is, should I choose WW Chan over a local tailor?
Chan will presumably not be able to do multiple fittings due to only being in town for two days. At a local tailor, I'd be able to go in for multiple fittings, try on a basted jacket, etc..

I don't see how using Chan on tour would be much different than ordering a MTM suit. However, I have seen how highly they are regarded here, so I was curious on people's opinions.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a customer of WW Chan and I'd recommend that you go local, if your local tailor's technical capabilities meet your standards. As much as I like my suits from Chan, I would have been dissatisfied with how the suit turned out if I didn't get 3 fittings (at their insistence) before the suit was finished and the several minor alterations (shoulder divots and a few other tweaks) after the suit was completed.

Last edited:

TOstyle

Reaction score
I agree with Viktri. Nothing against WW Chan personally, but I've used other "travelling tailors" and haven't had much luck. Something always needs to be fixed on a custom made product - that's just the nature of the beast - and you can't do that with the traveling guys.

You end up getting what you pay for, so I think it's worth it to pay a bit more for a local shop, since usability and customer service are hopefully much better.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in San Francisco and WW Chan is visiting on tour in April for two days (http://wwchan.com/itinerary.pdf)

My question is, should I choose WW Chan over a local tailor?
Chan will presumably not be able to do multiple fittings due to only being in town for two days. At a local tailor, I'd be able to go in for multiple fittings, try on a basted jacket, etc..

I don't see how using Chan on tour would be much different than ordering a MTM suit. However, I have seen how highly they are regarded here, so I was curious on people's opinions.

I don't own any Chan's, but I've seen them at Meet-Ups in San Francisco.
I am not aware of any "local" tailor that is at the level of Chan. In fact there are
no real quality bespoke tailors in the Bay Area. MTM is of course different.There
are several high-end retailers like Wilkes and Nieman Marcus that offer MTM.
But MTM is NOT BESPOKE. And frankly from my experience with Saks several
years ago MTM is a crap shoot- I received a full refund. PM me for details if you
wish.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have any experience with local tailors in the Bay Area, but I have had a lot of experience with W.W. Chan: 17 odd jackets, six suits and six shirts. I have been extremely satisfied with their work. Your first effort with Chan will be somewhere between MTM and bespoke, but they do make an individualized pattern for you that can subsequently be tweaked. My first suit from them was a good fit and very satisfactory, but not quite as satisfactory as all subsequent garments. (I have been told this is true of all bespoke tailors.) You can, by the way, get multiple fittings with Chan, but it adds to your expense and protracts the procedure considerably.

I would conclude by saying if there is a very good local bespoke tailor and if his prices are at all competitive with Chan's (I think about $1,500 these days for an "entry-level" two-piece suit from a fabric like VBC 110), then perhaps you are better off going with the local guy. Otherwise, I don't think you can go wrong with Chan.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact there are
no real quality bespoke tailors in the Bay Area. MTM is of course different.There
are several high-end retailers like Wilkes and Nieman Marcus that offer MTM.
But MTM is NOT BESPOKE.
+1

In San Francisco there is Spoon Tailors. They measure and fit in the city and send the pieces to be actually made in Hong Kong. I have no experience using them, but you can find positive reviews on the interwebs.

Other than that, if you want bespoke in the Bay Area, it's a traveling tailor. Steed visits from London 3 times a year. Not cheap, though. I've also had good luck using Hemrajani Bros (mytailor.com) who visit about 4 times a year. Poole comes to SF, as do a number of Asian tailors. It's a question of which one you want to work with, I guess. And it takes patience.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

In San Francisco there is Spoon Tailors. They measure and fit in the city and send the pieces to be actually made in Hong Kong. I have no experience using them, but you can find positive reviews on the interwebs.

Other than that, if you want bespoke in the Bay Area, it's a traveling tailor. Steed visits from London 3 times a year. Not cheap, though. I've also had good luck using Hemrajani Bros (mytailor.com) who visit about 4 times a year. Poole comes to SF, as do a number of Asian tailors. It's a question of which one you want to work with, I guess. And it takes patience.

I drropped in to Spoon Tailors earlier this year. I asked if they did tweed sport coats. They
said no. Nuff said?
Also, I saw someone being fitted with a mostly completed garment. I am no expert, but to me who wears high-end RTW, it looked like some thing from Nordstroms. Or Asian bespoke that looks suspiciously like middle priced RTW here.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drropped in to Spoon Tailors earlier this year. I asked if they did tweed sport coats. They
said no. Nuff said?

I'd say so. That seems really peculiar to me. My curiosity about them has never yet extended to actually entering their premises. And probably never shall.

marksman

Reaction score
As a follow-up, I contacted WW Chan and here's what they had to say:

• on tour, they bring a basted sample jacket, which along with my best fitting suit, will be used as the basis for fitting the new suit
  • they assure me that this process proves as reliable as a normal fitting, according to their experience

• If I wish to have a fitting with the basted suit, I can have the basted suit mailed to me at a cost of approximately US$200
  • Then I can bring it to the next fitting in San Francisco the next time they are on tour (3 months later, in July)

• prices start at US$1,700 for a VBC super 140's fabric

So the question is whether or not I can find comparable quality in the Bay Area for around $1900.

It seems like the answer might be no, so I am leaning towards using Chan and having the basted suit mailed to me for the next fitting. Hopefully one fitting with the basted suit will be enough to fix any issues I may notice.

supplychainman

Reaction score
As a follow-up, I contacted WW Chan and here's what they had to say:

• on tour, they bring a basted sample jacket, which along with my best fitting suit, will be used as the basis for fitting the new suit
  • they assure me that this process proves as reliable as a normal fitting, according to their experience

• If I wish to have a fitting with the basted suit, I can have the basted suit mailed to me at a cost of approximately US$200
  • Then I can bring it to the next fitting in San Francisco the next time they are on tour (3 months later, in July)

• prices start at US$1,700 for a VBC super 140's fabric

So the question is whether or not I can find comparable quality in the Bay Area for around $1900.

It seems like the answer might be no, so I am leaning towards using Chan and having the basted suit mailed to me for the next fitting. Hopefully one fitting with the basted suit will be enough to fix any issues I may notice.

Marksman, which tailors were you considering in the bay area?

marksman

Reaction score
I didn't consider many. I just briefly searched on Yelp and on this forum and didn't come up with much. My local option would probably be Spoon Tailor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads