1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

W.W. Chan and Peter Lee Tailor Report in HK - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Slewfoot, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mute

Mute Senior member

Love the items from Chan. They look fantastic! Like the spread collar shirt too.

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

3. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

nice stuff thar

4. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I am thinking of going to Cairns for around 10 days in June and would like to get 2 DB suits made from Chan. I was thinking of stopping in HK both on my way to Cairns and on the way back as well.

On my way there I was hoping to meet Patrick and give measurements and on my way back have a fitting. In an ideal situation I would be mailed my suits to India in due course.

So, I am wondering

1. Is a single fitting enough for my first experience with Chan.

2. If it is enough is 10 days enough for Chan to do a fitting. I shall of course choose a cloth from his collection as 10 days would surely not be enough to get a cloth from a book and then get the suit ready for fitting.

If the whole thing is doable I shall contact Patrick to set it up AND sell a holiday in Cairns to my wife

Any thoughts ....

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Unless it conflicts with his travel tour dates, I think Patrick should be able to get you a basted fitting when you stop in HK on the way back. Won't be able to get a full fitting though.

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ I will check with Patrick regarding his travel dates. But do you think it's a good idea ? A single basted fitting for my first suit ...

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

aj_del - I think that should work pretty well. You'll already be one step ahead of what most people get on the US Chan tour. You may want to make sure you have someone you can trust in India to do any minor alterations. One thing to consider is selecting your fabric before you get to HK and letting Patrick know in advance. Chan doesn't stock most of the top English mills so they'll need to order the fabric ahead of time and you want to make sure they have enough time while you're in Cairns for them to focus on the basted fitting.

I would also highly recommend going to Peter Lee at Lee Baron for shirts and a linen sportcoat or suit. He has a few very nice linen books. He could likely have a basted shirt fitting ready for you the day after measurements. Then you could order a handful which should be ready for you on your return trip to HK. The linen sportcoat or suit would have to be mailed like Chan, but he could have the basted fitting ready for you when you swing back through HK.

My wife actually had a nice jacket made at Peter Lee's so perhaps that could be a selling point for her! :^)

I stayed at The Kowloon Hotel which is two blocks away from Peter Lee and a 10 minute walk from Chan. Very convenient and not too expensive.

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ Thanks for your comments. It's major selling point that I can get something made for her. But the downside is 800 USD.

Did you specify the details of the DBs you got made at Chan in the sense the width of the lapel, the buttoning point etc. I hope you don't mind but I am not a fan of your DBs stylistically. I prefer a wider lapel and much lower buttoning point. Do you think Patrick could incorporate that ?

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

A jacket for your wife at Peter Lee would be around half what you mentioned.

Regarding my DB's, no offense taken. On my first DB (the Minnis Air Force Blue flannel) the lapels were a bit slimmer and the button stance pretty high. On my second DB (the Smith's gray flannel) the lapels were made a bit wider, but appropriate and balanced for my frame. The button stance was lowered a touch from the first, but was still high. A slightly lower buttoning point is more standard for Chan so no worries for you there.

10. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

But now I am wondering how does one select a tailor for oneself ? A vague question but after trying one tailor and having mixed feelings with him, it makes me ask the question to myself what do I see in Chan that I am willing to try him. Is it a case of the neighbour's wife appearing more pretty than one's own ?

11. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Recommendation/word of mouth counts for a lot. And that is where SF is particularly useful.

I'm contemplating trying a local tailor here, but without recommendations or 'fit pics', all I'm seeing are pretty coats on shop window mannequins.

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

^^ Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. But now I am wondering how does one select a tailor for oneself ? A vague question but after trying one tailor and having mixed feelings with him, it makes me ask the question to myself what do I see in Chan that I am willing to try him. Is it a case of the neighbour's wife appearing more pretty than one's own ?
    I wouldn't look too far into things and get too philosophical about it otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. For you, the biggest hurdle seems to be access to great tailors. If you're able to get to HK and have access to guys like Chan and Peter Lee it seems like you should take advantage. That is, assuming you've liked what you've seen from myself and other SF-ers that have used these tailors.

13. fox81

fox81 Senior member

^^ Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

But now I am wondering how does one select a tailor for oneself ? A vague question but after trying one tailor and having mixed feelings with him, it makes me ask the question to myself what do I see in Chan that I am willing to try him. Is it a case of the neighbour's wife appearing more pretty than one's own ?

pics of the neighbour's wife please

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

pics of the neighbour's wife please

+1

15. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

lol

out of interest what fabrics can Chan get in in very short notice?

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

In about a week's time they should be able to get most anything you need. Under that I'm not sure. I'd check with Patrick using the email address on their website. I guess it would depend if their HK broker had the fabrics on premise.

17. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

hmm ill have to just choose what they have - i only have 4 days and then back for another couple of days 4 weeks later

guess ill get something cheap and once my pattern is sorted order some better fabrics

18. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Gotcha. Probably not a bad way to go regardless!

19. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I read somewhere that the price of a 2 piece in H & S Viceroy flannel was around 2500 USD. Is that correct or was that the price for Victory flannel (the s160s with cashmere & mink) ?

20. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

I read somewhere that the price of a 2 piece in H & S Viceroy flannel was around 2500 USD. Is that correct or was that the price for Victory flannel (the s160s with cashmere & mink) ?

Why don't you try contacting Chan?