• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W.Bill Linen question...Help.

IronRock

Reaction score
I really want to get a bright blue suit made in the W.Bill 14oz linen (I'm moving to Singapore). I've seen the fabric once in the flesh but now I can't find any mention/picture of a swatch on the internet.

I want/need to have some sort of reference of the colour - yes I need to show my wife...

Can anyone help?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
14 ounces in Singapore will kill you, even if it's linen.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
14 ounces in Singapore will kill you, even if it's linen.
Uh oh. Shows my amateurish ways! I thought I'd read somewhere that the heavier the better, even in hot/humid climes - perhaps not. So 8oz-12oz? Anyway anyone have a link/picture? edit: Interestingly just found this link on the London Lounge, makes for good linen reading... http://thelondonlounge.net/forum/vie...php?f=36&t=173

whatsinaname

Reaction score
Seconded. I was surprised just how warm my 12oz linen shirtjacket (cooler than unlined suit) could be. I run a little hot, but its difficult to wear it above about 80 deg F.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And yet I find a heavy linen suit very nearly bearable on hot days in NYC. Which can be killers.

Part of the trick is to avoid very fine cotton shirts. They will soak up sweat like nothing else while refusing to let it evaporate. So a linen/cotton shirt would be much better for underneath.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing is comfortable in real heat but 14 ounce linen comes closer than most. I was, if not cool, all right in one in Manhattan this past August.

As Concordia wrote, part of the trick is wear either a linen shirt or a high twist cotton that breathes.

IronRock

Reaction score
Thanks all - I think I'm going to hedge my bets and go for something a bit lighter - around 12oz or whatever the gram equivalent is. Moving from aircon to heat/humidity every time you walk outside seems like it will be akin to moving from central heating to the winter air in the Northern hemisphere.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a 12 1/2 oz linen last winter ('winter') in singapore and it was alright, if you stay indoors about 75% of the time. The walking in/out of airconditioned places is actually the essential bit - you use your time indoors to store a cool blanket of air inside your jacket and to chill your jacket for outside, just the same way you might walk into a heated area on a cold winter's day to store some heat in your outfit before venturing outside again.

rphk91

Reaction score
Having moved from moderate climes to those more torrid at the start of the summer at 22 degrees N, my advice is to Go Native and wear as little as you can for a while, telling your colleagues that "my clothes haven't caught up to me" until you acclimate a bit.

FWIW, Hong Kong businessmen seem to stay cool by staying indoors as much as possible - long working hours in the office help - and by going open-collared even in suits.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should just ******* and go nude. We've been reliably informed, that all Singaporean girls are < 4/10 and if you bat for the opposing side all Singaporean men are fat, small & ugly, so there shouldn't be any problems if you know what I mean.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where are you buying the fabric and how much does it cost? I'm also looking to have a similar suit made.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a point of reference, I have a suit in the Harrison's Mersolair (linen). The fabric is 300g and the suit is quarter lined. It's probably my second coolest suit; it's generally effective when the heat index reaches the 110F mark, which is at least 3 months out of the year in these parts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You people are reptiles.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
As a point of reference, I have a suit in the Harrison's Mersolair (linen). The fabric is 300g and the suit is quarter lined. It's probably my second coolest suit; it's generally effective when the heat index reaches the 110F mark, which is at least 3 months out of the year in these parts.

Which is your coolest suit?

andreyb2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Where are you buying the fabric and how much does it cost? I'm also looking to have a similar suit made.

If you call (not e-mail!) W Bill (http://www.wbill.co.uk/), they will be happy to sell you a length. Price is around 60 GBP per meter, as I recall.

Andrey

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads