• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Würkin Stiffs - Magnetic Collar Stays

Rolo

Reaction score
Has anyone used these things?

They're metal stays with small, super high-power magnets that go under your shirt to keep your collar where you want it.

You've got to love clothing accessories that require safety instrutions. Don't hug Uncle Charlie now that he's had that pacemaker installed. I don't even want to think about getting through an airport with these.

wurkin-stiffs-collar-stays.jpg

From the Würkin Stiffs web site:

"Neodymium Magnet Safety

The neodymium magnets we sell are extremely strong, and must be handled with care to avoid personal injury and damage to the magnets. Fingers and other body parts can get severely pinched between two attracting magnets. Neodymium magnets are brittle, and can peel, crack or shatter if allowed to slam together. Eye protection should be worn when handling these magnets, because shattering magnets can launch pieces at great speeds.

The strong magnetic fields of neodymium magnets can also damage magnetic media such as floppy disks, credit cards, magnetic I.D. cards, cassette tapes, video tapes or other such devices. They can also damage televisions, VCRs, computer monitors and other CRT displays. Never place neodymium magnets near electronic appliances.

Children should not be allowed to handle neodymium magnets as they can be dangerous. Small magnets pose a choking hazard and should never be swallowed or inserted into any part of the body.
Never allow neodymium magnets near a person with a pacemaker or similar medical aid. The strong magnetic fields of the magnet can affect the operation of such devices."

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
Eye protection should be worn when handling these magnets, because shattering magnets can launch pieces at great speeds.

I don't know much, but I do know that getting dressed should never require safety goggles.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try not to handle anything that can simultaneously put my eye out, destroy my watch, erase my videos, choke my kids, and kill my other relatives.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
Fingers and other body parts can get severely pinched between two attracting magnets.

butbut.gif
cry.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'm picturing some guy feeling sporty in his new collar stays walking jauntily along the sidewalk, only to suddenly be swept off his feet and magnetically slammed into a passing garbage truck.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clothing accessories that try to kill you. Brilliant!
cool.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics