• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vw Gti

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of these? I've been car shopping for a while and I'm always changing my mind. I want to go give one a test drive but I can't get rid of the boyracer fanboy image I have with these things. Acceptable for an adult to drive or is it too boyracer for you guys?
VW-GTi-DV-09-NY-0001.jpg

jkennett

Reaction score
It's a good balance of fun and practicality for a daily driver. Drawback is that the random VW electronic bugs are still present from my limited experience (girl I'm seeing drives a 2010 gti). The interior is pretty nice... I really like the thick steering wheel with the flat bottom and it has good leather seats. And, driving dynamics are quite good for a fwd car. Zippy but not a blistering fast car.

I'd say give it a test drive! You'll know whether it's for you once you give it a shot. Also, I think that the fun quotient may outweigh the slight possibility of electronic issues. There is always that balance you have to weigh.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i was planning on one for awhile but i wound up with an audi a3 and have never looked back, was a good decision if i do say so myself. i think they are a little too youthful for me (i'm 35)

Hany

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the colour you choose. If it is black or navy blue it won't look as boyracer-ish as a white or red one.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
if you gotta ask,then you dont love it...therefore you should not buy it.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea it's definitely a practical car and everything. I wish it had 4motion though, which the Golf R will have but that will only come with a manual transmission.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the similar R32 (2 dr) version and love it. I like it better than the Audi myself and I'm a lot older than any of you boy racer punks.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i was planning on one for awhile but i wound up with an audi a3 and have never looked back, was a good decision if i do say so myself. i think they are a little too youthful for me (i'm 35)

I'm only 23 but I knew a lot of kids in high school with GTI's that were into that whole scene. I guess that's where I have the image from.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I'm only 23 but I knew a lot of kids in high school with GTI's that were into that whole scene. I guess that's where I have the image from.

i still have a hardon for the 82-84 gti
inlove.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
but do you get 300 hp out of the r32?

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
We have the similar R32 (2 dr) version and love it. I like it better than the Audi myself and I'm a lot older than any of you boy racer punks.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

You're a big guy, do you find the A3 comfortable? I bought a 3.2 when they first came out in the U.S., was fast as **** but unbelievably cramped.

GTI has always been a cool car. I had a 90 something VR6. Loved that car, I think the ex is still driving it.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
You're a big guy, do you find the A3 comfortable? I bought a 3.2 when they first came out in the U.S., was fast as **** but unbelievably cramped.

GTI has always been a cool car. I had a 90 something VR6. Loved that car, I think the ex is still driving it.

Yea about comfort. I'm 6'1" 210lbs. Will I be comfortable in a GTI?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, it's fine. more room than many cars i've owned, less than our family van. i changed the exhaust and intake on the 3.2 so i get just around 300hp now. would be good if the seat was a bit wider down below in terms of leg room.

Originally Posted by JoelF

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, i am 6'2, 220

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never had that problem in the GTI but it was an earlier generation. For me the A3 was just nasty to drive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads