• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

But it's not just the collar undone...there informalizing elements that are often in their in a bunch as well.

- B

how delightfully witty

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But it's not just the collar undone...there informalizing elements that are often in their in a bunch as well.

Compare to Foof when he undoes his BD collar. The effect is not the same, don't you agree?

Is this because (a) so much life leaks through in the type of photography PG does compared to nearly everyone else, (b) once you go sprezz, you should go all the way, or (c) PG has successfully translated OCD into a stylistic opposite.

All three?

Good point. The effect is certainly different to when the almighty foo does it.

In terms of why the effect is different:

PG clearly thinks about this stuff a lot. In that respect, I DO think his OCD (mild subclinical OCPD with some pretty good learnt coping stragies might be more accurate
wink.gif
) attention to detail allows him to introduce enough disparate elements of informality to create a harmonious whole, rather than the undone buttons being a lone jarring element.

I think it's partly projection as well though, if I can be permitted a little crude pop psychology, and this ties into your comments about the life in his photos. By introducing enough fun elements into his photos, we project our own prejudices & preconceptions into his looks. So his sprezzy elements appear more natural and joyful since we automatically ascribe those attributes to him. Moreover, track record matters - PG has a reputation for dressing well, so gets the benefit of the doubt more often than not. This isn't necessarily a conscious thing either; because he DOES generally dress well, we have a lower threshold for judging his outfits. A classic example of this is what Matt has pointed out in the past - pre-HK, there were little details off in the fit of his jackets, but everyone gushed anyway. Of course, PG did look good then too, with his customary eye for texture/colour/balance, but there were things there that people generally skated over mentally, because their default position was that he always dresses well.

Hmm, there is a danger of analysis-paralysis with this line of thinking. Perhaps it's as simple as just his wanting to create a look, and willing to take the time to do it right?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Don't sell yourself short, and don't make a going away post if you're not going away. Lessons from Mr. Moo.

there was a poster named Moo that really could have used that advice.

Originally Posted by randallr
Shhhh. Just let it happen
peepwall[1].gif

easily the scariest post ever made on SF.

I can't see most of the Vox pics, I see LK and mao and I think both look great. I typically like Singular's stuff but I will say that I am noticing a lot more dressed up boat shoe looks on the forum and I don't like them.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice looks all way round. Congrats, gents!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Compare to Foof when he undoes his BD collar. The effect is not the same, don't you agree?

Racist.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

P7210226.jpg

Can anyone confirm that this is the blue/brown knit Kent Wang is selling?

It is a great tie!

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill. The week did start fairly slowly - I even wondered why the openers from yf and MoK were so "old" until I recalled that they're from last weekend There's a fair bit to like and the Skinny car is my favourite shot

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Hmm, there is a danger of analysis-paralysis with this line of thinking. Perhaps it's as simple as just his wanting to create a look, and willing to take the time to do it right?

What I wonder is the process through which we decide what looks good and what does not.

Doc said something last week about that week's digest...let me see if I can pull it out...

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like the clothes, but am struck by how the emphasis is shifting to interesting locales and images. My way of doing things will soon be archaic, if it's not already.

...that also touches on this notion. We operate in a realm of indirect communication, and the secondary effect of how style is presented might effect our reaction more than the style itself.

There was also that bresc thread on Centofanti where he took the position that photographs are useless.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
Can anyone confirm that this is the blue/brown knit Kent Wang is selling?

It is a great tie!

That's a Gallo, I believe.

- B

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
Thanks Bill. The week did start fairly slowly - I even wondered why the openers from yf and MoK were so "old" until I recalled that they're from last weekend

There's a fair bit to like and the Skinny car is my favourite shot

mwink[1].gif

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a Gallo, I believe. - B
It appears that is probably the case, the KW has a darker brown and thinner knitting. There was a thread on Gallo ties that died last November (RIP), so does anyone know a good place to look for Gallo ties?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads