1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree.

That being said, some personalities just come out even in a single photograph. Since we don't get a chance to interact with these people, we have to go by what we see.

Of course, you have to make do with what you have in front of you--but I think it's worth being cautious about over-extrapolating from fuzzy data. As I alluded to before, there are plenty of things that identigy PG as a good dresser other than the intangible character and lifestyle inferences people make from his photos. Emphasizing those inferences distracts from substance.

Another reason you hear posters like myself say that aspire to dress like PG, its because he makes it seem attainable. "I'll just fax my measurements and PG's pic to PL" We know that is not the case, but we think we can get close.

You, Matt, Whanay and others have wardrobes that are lets say "big time", so you will mostly not get the following. Most mortals don't have the means for $5000 suits.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm willing to bet that my clothing budget is dwarfed by PG's. He has a lot more stuff than I do. I don't post that many pictures anymore largely because I wear the same four or five outfits all the time.

2. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

You, Matt, Whanay and others have wardrobes that are lets say "big time", so you will mostly not get the following. Most mortals don't have the means for $5000 suits.

JP, you don't seem to need $5,000 suits to look as good, if not better, than many of the people here who do have the means for such. Your posts and outfits are some of my favorite here.

Mike

3. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

JP, you don't seem to need $5,000 suits to look as good, if not better, than many of the people here who do have the means for such. Your posts and outfits are some of my favorite here.

Mike

Thank you, that is very kind. I will take credit on the fact that I did some homework and take time to post. I read through the forum for a couple of months before I started posting. A mixture of words and photographs I saw here allowed me to compile a starter wardrobe for this stage in my life (43).

My clothes are actually pretty expensive (for me), but I have not paid retail for them.
    Thanks to SF PSA's + my nature of seeking out bargains I put together the look the I have now. Like Foo, I do not have many things that I wear in regular rotation, but I am very pleased with most of them.

Most important lesson from SF has been..... Don't buy something just because it says KITON on the label.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear the same four or five outfits all the time.
    This is less a matter of economy than a design choice, no?

5. mafoofan

It's a matter of the two converging harmoniously [​IMG].

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Was it PooBear or you who told him to part his hair?

- B

7. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

It's a matter of the two converging harmoniously [​IMG].

Yes Foo, not many people have spent almost $3,000 on "one pair" of shoes.

I do like what you have done. You have picked what works for you and have stuck to it.

8. mafoofan

Was it PooBear or you who told him to part his hair?

Who the hell is "PooBear?" And why do you always talk like I'm not in the room? It's like middle school all over again, when even the teachers made fun of me.

Yes Foo, not many people have spent almost $3,000 on "one pair" of shoes.

To be fair, it's more like $3,000 for five One pairs of shoes. Considering how many people on the forum blow at least that much on a single pair, I figure I'm a relative bargain-hunter.

9. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Who the hell is "PooBear?" And why do you always talk like I'm not in the room? It's like middle school all over again, when even the teachers made fun of me. To be fair, it's more like $3,000 for five One pairs of shoes. Considering how many people on the forum blow at least that much on a single pair, I figure I'm a relative bargain-hunter.
    the average UK male spends about 50 GBP per pair.

10. mafoofan

the average UK male spends about 50 GBP per pair.

I know, children are starving in Africa, and I alone amongst all others should feel guilty for my conspicuous consumption.

11. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

To be fair, it's more like $3,000 for five One pairs of shoes. Considering how many people on the forum blow at least that much on a single pair, I figure I'm a relative bargain-hunter.

Eleven?

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a silly direction for thread to take. PG has no lack of resources -- how many wardrobes has he tossed in the last two years? But that doesn't mean one can't dress well on a budget. How much PG spends, and how much Foo spends, and on what, is no one's business but their own.

13. Film Noir Buff

I know, children are starving in Africa, and I alone amongst all others should feel guilty for my conspicuous consumption.
    The only thing you're guilty of is wanting other people to become accessories after the fact by complimenting you on your tastes. If that were a crime, most of the MC forum would be in stir. Oh, and children are starving right here in the USA, no need to look overseas. Who are ya, Madonna?

14. mafoofan

The only thing you're guilty of is wanting other people to become accessories after the fact by complimenting you on your tastes. If that were a crime, most of the MC forum would be in stir.

As far as I can tell, the only reason you have to believe I'm searching for compliments is my active participation in this forum. Not only do you actively participate here, but you operate your own forum, and write essays for people to read. If I want compliments, you must be desperate for them.

15. binge

binge Senior member

Just wait 'til PG starts popping his collars again...y'all will lose your minds.

16. Film Noir Buff

As far as I can tell, the only reason you have to believe I'm searching for compliments is my active participation in this forum. Not only do you actively participate here, but you operate your own forum, and write essays for people to read. If I want compliments, you must be desperate for them.
    You mean like, Burning up for your love? [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am going to have to change my vote for you in the other thread because your writing makes no sense.

you just do not understand the profoundness of the artist.

18. a tailor

Who could that be, grabbing their crotch?

[​IMG]

Glad I could be included in this thread, finally.

[​IMG]

himself? he has no friends.

19. a tailor

Most excellent. The bit about human excrement had me laughing out loud. Well done, Vox.

please do not laugh. this is serious.

20. a tailor

teh last pic will replace the whale in my nightmares.

you would abandon your faithful whale? ingrate.