1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Feb 13, 2009.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Serious: Winston.

Why so?

2. DocHolliday

Original suit worn by Patrick Macnee?

I wish. I wonder how many are left. At least a couple of his Avengers suits were cut up into tiny pieces and sold with trading cards.

As horrified as I am by that, I still own one.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Why so?

Chipp IX does shaped Ivy.

Plus, I think that you would enjoy his stories in person.

- B

4. DocHolliday

I worry Chipp is too tasteful to feel comfortable working at my desired level of vulgarity.

Also, I worry about getting fat, as I have been fat before, and that one day I will be embarrassed by my current proclivities.

I mean, really, you've seen how I dress.

5. voxsartoria

I worry Chipp is too tasteful to feel comfortable working at my desired level of vulgarity.

Also, I worry about getting fat, as I have been fat before, and that one day I will be embarrassed by my current proclivities.

I mean, really, you've seen how I dress.

You're perfect for Chipp/Winston.

Old BB was lifecyle-friendly.

- B

6. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wish. I wonder how many are left. At least a couple of his Avengers suits were cut up into tiny pieces and sold with trading cards.

As horrified as I am by that, I still own one.

[​IMG] yikes. That's criminal. I thought a few might have been preserved somewhere in the ABC archives. Maybe quietly auctioned off by Christie's or something.

7. voxsartoria

[​IMG] yikes. That's criminal. I thought a few might have been preserved somewhere in the ABC archives. Maybe quietly auctioned off by Christie's or something.

Dibbs on Foof's first Matuozzo.

I want to use strips to light each fireplace.

- B

8. DocHolliday

One of the bowlers (or what was advertised as one of the bowlers) was listed on eBay a while back, but the minimum bid was sufficiently high that it didn't sell. I'd pay good money for one of the umbrellas, though I'm sure there are plenty of others who would too. In another historical travesty, pieces were cut from the trou Clyde Barrow was wearing when he was ambushed with Bonnie and sold at a premium.

9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

This week's digest teaches us that sticking your hand in your coat pocket like edmorel was doing over a year ago goes a long way.

thanks

10. DocHolliday

thanks

I've always associated it with you, actually. You made it look good.

11. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

In another historical travesty, pieces were cut from the trou Clyde Barrow was wearing when he was ambushed with Bonnie and sold at a premium.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

There is some truth in Foo's premise. A baseball player who is known as an excellent hitter will often influence the umpire. If he doesn't swing at a borderline pitch, it is more often called a 'ball' (or presumed to be a ball). Does that mean it really wasn't a ball? Of course not. PG's looks may be assumed to succeed before critical analysis. Does that mean that they don't succeed on the merits? No. I think that's a fair analogy.

I have always liked PG's looks and posts. Sometimes he fails (nurse shoes), but he often succeeds in ways that actually make me smile. He has a great joie de vivre and it really shows. Many of his details (or affects) would be too much on most anyone else, but I believe he really makes it work for him.

The hand thrust in jacket pocket thing is attributable to edmorel.

I tend to agree with this in many cases. PG so rarely misses though, and I think the only time I have ever called him out was the nurse shoes; and even then, after some thought and a little scuffing and dirt, I actually changed my mind on them also.

13. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior member

Wow, while catching up on this thread I consumed most of my morning coffee....I'll dare chime in with a few freshman thoughts.

Vox, thanks for the caviar shot.

I think what really pulls in the crowds are that when you're out on your own you have a perception of what is 'well dressed' but you find it hard to achieve. When you show up here you are originally well out of the league of these posters. They pull you in, give you solid feedback (very harsh at times) and you become a bit more then you could have ever done on your own.

1+, SF provides room for experimentation with feedback.

Hmmm.

How about approaching the PG thought of the day this way...PG informalizes his ensembles through various techniques...is there a good case to be made that this is the way to give tailored clothes modern significance?

Something more thoughtful than, say, removing your tie.

Maomao also comes to mind.

- B

Perhaps an evolution of historic rules of men's dress. The bold red fountain pen also comes to mind. It wasn't about showing your stuff as it wa

Y'all suck at stylez.

Funny.

I don't buy that there are "cult-like tendencies" unless we choose to debase genuine likes that people happen to share or develop into something pejorative.

Feature convergence is actually pretty minimal, and the degree of conformity is less apparent in photographs here than in, say, most work environments.

I attribute this to a degree of eccentricity that causes men to sign up for, read, and then produce content...discursive or diaristic...for a social site centered on clothing.

The degree and type of eccentricity is not greater or less than men and women who spend time and effort on the myriad topical social sites on the internet...cars...bodybuilding...politics...whatever...but the ones here are eccentric about clothes.
    - B

Eccentricities abound in my small universe. I'll prattle on discussing watch movements/design/history, motorcycle modifications, and even clothing choices for too many hours. My idiosyncratic nature thirsts for a better understanding of many things including style. All the while I continue to define and evlove MY style. Having a minimally, stylistic upbringing my college and grad years were molded by Flusser and the like. As I became a professional the common uniform became tempting. Something just didn't sit well. The desire to seek more knowledge led me to AA (although I didn't find the format appealing) and ultimately to SF.

I cannot deny the SF influence. My trousers and few jackets have gone on a diet. Yes, I now own two pairs of white pants, at least. I have a new interest in quality of shoes and denim. I have scavenged various stylistic components from members WAYWT posts. One can see my failed attempt at wool trousers with desert boots from yesterday as proof. Yet, I fail to see this as convergence. More "enouragvence." SF tends to push my narrow view of what is appropriate/stylish. The feedback has proven quite educational.

I believe PG's deconstruction of more formal looks fits his personality. I doubt SF will see an explosion of loose BDCs. I love this look with my 10yo white oxford which accompanies each trip to the beach. I doubt you will see it in any of my WAYWT posts. But the possibility....

On the other hand, what do I know?

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I try to stay away from justifyng my opinions of WAWYN pictures based on inferences of underlying attitude, personality, emotional state, etc. It's way too easy to imagine those things. I really think PG would look just as good to me if he blurred out his face and posed mannequin-like. Of course, if you're looking for (life)style, you'll think quite differently.

PG has a fantastic color sense. That's why he's always stuck out to me as a good dresser, even when the fit of his clothes was a little wonky. We dress differently, but his taste for the right kind of contrast is something I really admire.

15. Film Noir Buff

16. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest for the Week Ending 07/24/2009
    PG thought of the week:
    - B

- [​IMG]

Let me help you think outside the tin:
    [​IMG]
    Do you need a horn spoon, or are you fine without?
    - B

- Finally something good has come out from this

No, I think PG has done that for quite some time, maybe even before posting pictures.
    - B

- correct, an ex GF of mine whom I recently bumped into made a comment about this - she mentioned that she always wanted to ask me why.. This was back in 95..

Regarding the Foofed collar - I tried this look in "real life" and had four people comment on it with the same sentiment: "why is that unbuttoned?"
    - no one has ever mentioned IRL

Also, I like PG's clothes. I wish I had his clothing budget.
    - you would be surprised.. Not as much as you think

17. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

I know some people are hung up on the tailoring, cut, materials etc. They play a role but not the most important role in my mind. Isn't one of the most important components of clothing the man behind it?

When I see discussion of Iconic photographs of The Duke, Astaire, Connery, Cary Grant..etc. Is it that their clothing was so great or was it the way they carried themselves in them?

How you wear your clothes is as important as what you wear. Some people are very well dressed for lack of a better phrase, and others dress well. I think PG does both.

He works hard at getting this attention, and I say that in a positive way. I'm sure there is ego involved but none the less he just like others contribute much to this forum. Seeing the clothes in action gives you a feeling of how his dressing is incorporated into his life. Great photography and clothing in the wild will always get higher praise.

18. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Isn't one of the most important components of clothing the man behind it?

. . .

How you wear your clothes is as important as what you wear.

Yes and yes. But I think there is a strong limit on what you can tell about these things from a photograph. There are so many other variables at work.

19. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

Yes and yes. But I think there is a strong limit on what you can tell about these things from a photograph. There are so many other variables at work.

I agree.

That being said, some personalities just come out even in a single photograph. Since we don't get a chance to interact with these people, we have to go by what we see.

Another reason you hear posters like myself say that aspire to dress like PG, its because he makes it seem attainable. "I'll just fax my measurements and PG's pic to PL" We know that is not the case, but we think we can get close.

You, Matt, Whanay and others have wardrobes that are lets say "big time", so you will mostly not get the following. Most mortals don't have the means for $5000 suits.

20. Film Noir Buff

You, Matt, Whanay and others have wardrobes that are lets say "big time", so you will mostly not get the following. Most mortals don't have the means for $5000 suits.
    I drink their milkshakes [​IMG] [​IMG]