1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Feb 13, 2009.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dopey is also about as monogamous as me, tailor-wise. I saw him today in Paul Winston trad, which ain't much like Dege.
    That's a man after my own heart. It's my struggle to reconcile these tastes that partly prompts my stance on this issue, I'd guess.

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

By the way, I'm wearing something right now that's going to blow some frickin' minds. See the Important Announcement.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Film Noir Buff

FNB confuses me. I've never seen him at parties (to my knowledge.) - B
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Andrew and I don't scare each other.....

I repeat.. [​IMG]

5. randallr

randallr Senior member

[​IMG]
    I repeat.. [​IMG]

6. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

By the way, I'm wearing something right now that's going to blow some frickin' minds. See the Important Announcement.

Original suit worn by Patrick Macnee?

7. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

There is some truth in Foo's premise. A baseball player who is known as an excellent hitter will often influence the umpire. If he doesn't swing at a borderline pitch, it is more often called a 'ball' (or presumed to be a ball). Does that mean it really wasn't a ball? Of course not. PG's looks may be assumed to succeed before critical analysis. Does that mean that they don't succeed on the merits? No. I think that's a fair analogy. I have always liked PG's looks and posts. Sometimes he fails (nurse shoes), but he often succeeds in ways that actually make me smile. He has a great joie de vivre and it really shows. Many of his details (or affects) would be too much on most anyone else, but I believe he really makes it work for him. The hand thrust in jacket pocket thing is attributable to edmorel.

8. Big A

Big A Senior member

Came back from a week off, read this entire thread, still have no idea what you eggheads are talking about. Woe is me, a low I.Q.-state-school grad in an Ivy-league (virtual) world.

One thing is clear: Apparently, there isn't much to do during this economically-depressed summer, leaving plenty of time for the forum. Lucky us?

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

From my perspective, there's more missing than there is here, and I don't mean that as insult to SF but as a testament to the breadth and depth of the world of style. Il Vecchio has hardly posted his wardrobe, but everyone remembers his stuff for a reason. It was such a startling contrast to the bright 'n' bold SF aesthetic. It was subdued and elegant, and indifferent to SF norms.

Il Vecchio's style is among the best represented among bespoke products that are posted here...but he is among the few who posted his head complete with his face. His style is very A&S, and very well represented among the clients of bespoke stuff who post. He posted this style. Will posts this style. Manton posts this style. Andre posts this style. And so do I. Our photos look different, but that is a function of the (1) expertise of the photography, (2) the physical attributes of the person who is photographed, and (3) the differences among interpretations of this style.

There are several other members who also wear this style, but who are more shy.

We all wear the soft, draped London Cut. There: I've said it. Drape.

I think that you know that, but you choose not to believe that, in fact, you like and prefer soft tailoriing...but the English kind, not Italian.

As you do...if you like IL. Revisit my pics when I'm in my late 60s.

- B

10. voxsartoria

One thing is clear: Apparently, there isn't much to do during this economically-depressed summer, leaving plenty of time for the forum. Lucky us?

Economic depression is the widest point of opportunity, my over-assistanted friend.

- B

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. DocHolliday

Il Vecchio's style is among the best represented among bespoke products that are posted here...but he is among the few who posted his head complete with his face. His style is very A&S, and very well represented among the clients of bespoke stuff who post. He posted this style. Will posts this style. Manton posts this style. Andre posts this style. And so do I. Our photos look different, but that is a function of the (1) expertise of the photography, (2) the physical attributes of the person who is photographed, and (3) the differences among interpretations of this style.

There are several other members who also wear this style, but who are more shy.

We all wear the soft, draped London Cut. There: I've said it. Drape.

I think that you know that, but you choose not to believe that, in fact, you like and prefer soft tailoriing.

As you do...if you like IL. Revisit my pics when I'm in my late 60s.

- B

I do like soft tailoring. I like yours, I like Matt's, I like Il Vecchio's, I like Foo's, I like Whnay's. I think it's great. Most of my beloved vintage coats -- the stuff in my closet, I mean -- are extremely soft, if in a more American fashion. That I'm talking about wanting to see other stuff is no insult to you guys. I'm very appreciative our drapists post and share. But that makes me no less greedy toward seeing what else is out there, or wanting as diverse a representation of style on StyleForvm as possible.

13. binge

binge Senior member

Y'all suck at stylez.

I love it when Matt's wife forgets to lock-up the liquor cabinet...

14. voxsartoria

I do like soft tailoring. I like yours, I like Matt's, I like Il Vecchio's, I like Foo's, I like Whnay's. I think it's great. Most of my beloved vintage coats -- the stuff in my closet, I mean -- are extremely soft, if in a more American fashion. That I'm talking about wanting to see other stuff is no insult to you guys. I'm very appreciative our drapists post and share. But that makes me no less greedy toward seeing what else is out there, or wanting as diverse a representation of style on StyleForvm as possible.

Here's the thing: you should participate rather than spectate.

Book that trip to a city and meet someone. Book a trip to NYC and visit Paul Winston.

What was profligate when young, is manna when on the doorsteps of death.

- B

15. voxsartoria

I love it when Matt's wife forgets to lock-up the liquor cabinet...

I'm convinced that Will and he share the same canister of oxygen.

As for you: I hear shrieks in Chinatown.

- B

16. DocHolliday

Here's the thing: you should participate rather than spectate.

Book that trip to a city and meet someone.

What was profligate when young, is manna when on the doorsteps of death.

I toy with it, but the trip is far, and I am lazy. I am also uncertain where I would go.

Complicating the issue, I would want something so specific that I fear the mountain is too tall to climb.

Maybe I need to go all Sator and learn to make my own.

17. voxsartoria

You are a pefect Winston customer.

You know what you want, and have the vocaculary to communicate it.

- B

18. DocHolliday

I am a tailor's nightmare. And Patrick Macnee's cutter has been dead for a long time.

19. Film Noir Buff

Awww, it's time for a reaffirmation of values and to show you treasure each others' friendships, the hokey pokey: [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. voxsartoria

I am a tailor's nightmare. And Patrick Macnee's cutter has been dead for a long time.

Serious: Winston.

- B