1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Feb 13, 2009.

1. dv3

dv3 Senior member

...not read memoirs and every possible pose so that I could construct a 3D image of the outfit in question. <3
    speak for yourself As for the hand in pocket thing: I think the poster may be consciously adding a bit of mystery and intrigue to their photograph. "What does he have in there?...A gun? A cigar?..."

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

The hand in pocket thing is definitely a maomao trend.

3. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I have to admit, it strikes me as amusing. It's no less an affectation than leaving collar buttons undone, yet so far has inspired none of the backlash. It's an interesting process, how mostly straight dudes choose what looks cool and what looks affected to other mostly straight dudes.

That said, whatever gets people to abuse their clothes a bit is fine by me.

Fify. The mere fact that most WAYWN pics are self-portraits and aren't candid shots makes me wonder if you guys would really put so much effort in putting your kit together if it weren't for posting the results here. I know some do regardless, but the rest?...

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I believe you. But why do you do it? At what point did you start? I'm interested in the process. I suspect most guys do it because they've seen someone else do it. Personally, I don't find it a very natural position. (Stuffing things in coat pocket, yes; standing there with hand implanted, no.) Others may disagree, but its sudden emergence in WAYW strikes me as very much a trend.

Kennedy started a trend for this, back in the '60s. But he had a cigar to hide.

+1 Hands in pants pockets = natural.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fify. The mere fact that most WAYWN pics are self-portraits and aren't candid shots makes me wonder if you guys would really put so much effort in putting your kit together if it weren't for posting the results here. I know some do regardless, but the rest?...
    This, I think, is a subset of the emergence of a StyleForum style. This would make an interesting discussion in itself, but I suspect it would just get mired down in the usual tired talk of groupthink. I do worry that we're becoming a bit like the Borg, assimilating newcomers so they become like us. In some ways, I think the forum has become more open to new styles, and in other ways I think the forum has a way of homogenizing newcomers. Not necessarily deliberately, mind you. It just seems to happen. I look at WAWY each week and am struck at how many similarities the pictures often share. I do find the trend toward idol worship a bit odd. PG looks great, but I have no desire to dress like him.

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

This, I think, is a subset of the emergence of a StyleForum style. This would make an interesting discussion in itself, but I suspect it would just get mired down in the usual tired talk of groupthink.

I do worry that we're becoming a bit like the Borg, assimilating newcomers so they become like us. In some ways, I think the forum has become more open to new styles, and in other ways I think the forum has a way of homogenizing newcomers. Not necessarily deliberately, mind you. It just seems to happen.

I find the trend toward idol worship a bit odd. PG looks great, but I have no desire to dress like him.

I am relatively new here. I have picked up alot here, but I try to stick to my own goofy perception of what is stylish. I like PG's outfits alot. I also merely skim his posts because they are lengthy, and I know they are perfection and will be praised many times over here. Every once in a while he posts something that I really like and I comment.

I do notice alot of groupthink here, but there is still room for someone who is out there. This is a cool place.....or as "cool" a place as it can be, considering it is a bunch of straight guys (more or less) posting pictures of themselves dressed up and then offering a critique of such. [​IMG]

Mike

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I think its too much...way too much.

Just a few reactions to your points, in no particular order:

My memory might fail me, but I credit PG for introducing secondary contextural photographs to explicate personal style on an Internet social site focused on tailored men's clothing. In the beginning, and still to this day mostly, they are closeups or accessories shots that deal directly with style.

There is a succeeding wave of members who have been attracted by PG diarist format, and have tried or succeeded to emulate what he does. I still think he does it the best...and why not? It's how he's always done it.

I always find all of his photographs interesting...they all reach comfortably above the rather low theshold of entertainment and interest that typify most content on Internet forums.

Moreover, I see nothing wrong that he crossposts as a matter of course...and this gets back to the topics that I thought to raise this week. The informalizing attributes of his style make even his coat and tie ensembles viable subject matter on the SW&D forum, where I think his posts are about as generally warmly received as on the MC forum. Is it as really as simple as that?

I wonder.

- B

8. voxsartoria

This could be an entirely new thread. "Style" seems like it has no borders to me. It doesn't just stop at the clothes, but bleeds over into your mannerisms, personality, your other material possessions, artistic or athletic pursuits, etc. It's kinda the whole package.

I agree with this entirely, and so when someone opens a wider window to that, it is interesting.

In a nutshell: it is more interesting when there is a face than when there isn't.

- B

9. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

This, I think, is a subset of the emergence of a StyleForum style. This would make an interesting discussion in itself, but I suspect it would just get mired down in the usual tired talk of groupthink.

I do worry that we're becoming a bit like the Borg, assimilating newcomers so they become like us. In some ways, I think the forum has become more open to new styles, and in other ways I think the forum has a way of homogenizing newcomers. Not necessarily deliberately, mind you. It just seems to happen. I look at WAWY each week and am struck at how many similarities the pictures often share.

I do find the trend toward idol worship a bit odd. PG looks great, but I have no desire to dress like him.

Agreed. Let me also say that while a lot of the outfits do look great, I'm just amazed that a lot of guys take the time, on a regular basis, to take pictures of themselves to show to other dudes. At times I can be quite vain myself, but never to the extent displayed here. Besides, I like candid shots waaaaay more.

10. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Not to interrupt the deep discussion here, but great collection of pics this week. Thanks!

11. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

In a nutshell: it is more interesting when there is a face than when there isn't.

- B

In a nutshell: if I had included my face in my only WAYWN pic, I would've made your digest.

12. TC (Houston)

Agreed. Let me also say that while a lot of the outfits do look great, I'm just amazed that a lot of guys take the time, on a regular basis, to take pictures of themselves to show to other dudes.

Have you been talking to my wife? LOL

13. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I do worry that we're becoming a bit like the Borg, assimilating newcomers so they become like us. In some ways, I think the forum has become more open to new styles, and in other ways I think the forum has a way of homogenizing newcomers. Not necessarily deliberately, mind you. It just seems to happen. I look at WAWY each week and am struck at how many similarities the pictures often share.

I do find the trend toward idol worship a bit odd. PG looks great, but I have no desire to dress like him.

I both agree and disagree:

First, I agree that when people come here, in many cases they tend to conform to the societal mean. But generally, when that happens it's because they weren't very stylistically adept to begin with. So, assimilation is really more a way of teaching and learning, which must be done before one can move forward.

However, I think that there are some very notable examples of people who don't fit the cultural homogenization, yet still gain acceptance and appreciation here. On the outer limits you have guys like Fuuma, SoCal, LabelKing, etc. that all have their own style that isn't replicated elsewhere. However (and more subversively) you have guys like PG who comes in and (despite the groupthink) shows that Armani, et al can actually look really good and who helps move peoples' ideas away from the strict buttoned down style that makes the place feel so homogenized. The fact that you don't want to dress like PG means we aren't really like the Borg after all.

14. voxsartoria

Agreed. Let me also say that while a lot of the outfits do look great, I'm just amazed that a lot of guys take the time, on a regular basis, to take pictures of themselves to show to other dudes. At times I can be quite vain myself, but never to the extent displayed here. Besides, I like candid shots waaaaay more.

It's less a matter of time than it is of wanting to do it, and then methodology, organization, and perhaps having the freedom to do what you want.

Reading or responding to a typical thread takes a fair amount of time, and even lurking takes time. Obviously, most of it is lazy, asynchronous activity...but still, if you count the minutes...

- B

15. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

It's less a matter of time than it is of wanting to do it, and then methodology, organization, and perhaps having the freedom to do what you want.

- B

Is this a sign of what is known as teh ghey?

16. voxsartoria

Did you master forum phrases at 500 posts or 1000 posts? [​IMG]

- B

17. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Did you master forum phrases at 500 posts or 1000 posts? [​IMG]

- B

Um, to be honest, I have no clue what you guys are talking about most of the time. Remember that shit about the Greeks that started, I think, with a discussion on pocket squares? Still haven't figured it out...

18. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You guys have all failed to account for the most subversive element of all: Vox himself. PG is good people with good style, but he's small fish in comparison. The real question is whether we would be pondering PG's sprezza-style but for Vox's influence. To what degree do we like something because Vox says we should? Answers, I want answers.

19. TC (Houston)

Reading or responding to a typical thread takes a fair amount of time, and even lurking takes time. Obviously, most of it is lazy, asynchronous activity...but still, if you count the minutes...

- B

I'm one of the most frequent posters, and I will acknowledge that the whole drill is pretty strange. Even when I'm really busy, I still try to take 20 minutes to snap some pics and post them. Why? Because I enjoy learning about clothing and the interaction surrounding it. Clothing is currently my most significant and enjoyable hobby. Between all of my other life commitments, it's my only hobby that I can enjoy on a daily basis. I have to get dressed and go to work every day anyway, so if I can make it enjoyable and an outlet for some of my creative energy, wonderful. The problem is that outside of this forum, I do not encounter anyone on any regular basis that has any desire or ability to discuss the things that we discuss here. I really enjoy talking about clothing, getting feedback on my clothing, and giving feedback to others who want it. Without this forum and posting pics, that wouldn't happen. So while it is incredibly ridiculous to go through the trouble of taking pictures of myself, editing and posting them every day, I do it because it is entertaining and enriching to me, even on days that are totally devoid of of anything else enjoyable.

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

You guys have all failed to account for the most subversive element of all: Vox himself. PG is good people with good style, but he's small fish in comparison. The real question is whether we would be pondering PG's sprezza-style but for Vox's influence. To what degree do we like something because Vox says we should? Answers, I want answers.

I remember PG from back when he was EGW and Vox was as inaudible as a dog whistle.

So, no.