1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Feb 13, 2009.

1. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

An interesting compilation of great insights and rank foolishness.
    Chris, you let him talk about you like that?

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Chris, you let him talk about you like that?

That's funny, I thought he was talking about you.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs FNC again? [​IMG]

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Nice job f*cking up my little thread, Trini.
    You're going on my shit list.
    - B

- HAHA, I was just about to bin this trhead as it reminds me of the WAYWT thread on SW&D where there is more text than pics & the odd Pecs from Vox..
    - don't worry Trini, I too am on the Hate list ..

WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs FNC again? [​IMG]
    +1

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs the voices in his head again? [​IMG]
    FTFY, as they say.[​IMG] Kindly leave me out of this. I've had him on ignore for months which does wonders to freshen the atmosphere around here.. Although, there are still some unhappy moments when people quote his angry posts. Please don't encourage him.

6. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Actually, it was more FNB v. the proles who try to dress above their station.

7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, does anyone in this thread simply wear clothing because they like the way it looks on them or is that just for the simpletons like me [​IMG]

8. Manton

So, does anyone in this thread simply wear clothing because they like the way it looks on them or is that just for the simpletons like me [​IMG]

I do. That's what the whole argument is about.

9. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I didn't read the thread, Manton, but just want to ask, don't many factors, such as your upbringing, influence what you think looks better on you?

10. Manton

I didn't read the thread, Manton, but just want to ask, don't many factors, such as your upbringing, influence what you think looks better on you?

I am sure they do. But that is not what is in dispute.

11. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

*takes time to read the thread*

12. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Merde.

Nice job f*cking up my little thread, Trini.

You're going on my shit list.

What, does it feel unfair?

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

They're clothes; you wear them..

14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Yes- and they get their ass handed to them by assorted rubes all the time. [​IMG]

Note the sig:

15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Actually, it was more FNB v. the proles who try to dress above their station.

He said it was mostly your fault though.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Reading StyleForum is like being at a NHL game. How, you ask? Well, you're watching the game, it gains momentum, you're getting into it and then a fight breaks out. Some are energized by the fight some think it is an unnecessary interruption to the game.

17. Manton

All right, I am sorry, really, truly sorry. But give me credit. For every 50 whacks he takes at me with his stick, I only hit him back one or two times.

18. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

The thread's really gone downhill since 6:00pm.
    I will amplify [Despos'] point by suggesting that the AA illustrations also capture a time when men aspired to a life led as a concatenation of social occasions. This American aspiration was definitely one of American class. Today, however, the class that was the object of aspiration in America is dissapated, diminished, and irrelevant. Just because descendents live does not mean that class survives. And without that class, the underlying form of life to which the AA illustrations reach loses quite a lot of punch. The only thing that really makes the privileged class distinct is the encultured assumption of superiority which, if life does its job, gets broken by reality. And reality has broken it completely as far as I can see...
    I have to unpack this and re-pack it a bit: The upper class is defined by "encultured assumptions of superiority": ok, perhaps admirable, at best something along the lines of Jefferson's natural aristocracy. The "class that was the object of aspiration in America is dissipated, diminished, and irrelevant": I'll take that as an observation. Now for the repacking: American class was at least partly defined by aspiration, and that aspiration was to a "life led as a concatenation of social events". As opposed to a life led as a series of work days? The function of the upper class is to produce wonderful clothing fit for interesting social events? I'd hope that the function of an upper class would be finish the program of the Enlightenment, save the world, and by the way have good parties that they can enjoy looking good at. Just saying. Oh, and I'm reposting this because a) it's been many pages without a picture, the General not counting, b) I can't imagine wearing it myself, and c) I really like it. [​IMG]

19. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Time for this: [​IMG]

20. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

But you know what? I was the youngest guy there by twenty years, and I am not a young man.

Well, isn't it their fault for not inviting the Film Noir Buffs, mafoofans, and Mantons of the world, instead of just the Vox Sartorii (of whom there are few left who want to go, I presume)?