• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voting on a linen jacket color

Which color would be best for a linen jacket?

• Tobacco brown

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Khaki/ cream

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Blue (either navy or RAF)

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to have a linen jacket made up next month through NSM, but I'm a bit unsure of the color I should go with. So far, I'm mainly considering cream/ khaki, tobacco brown, and blue (either RAF or navy). Tobacco brown has been in the lead the longest, but my idea of it is mostly shaped by the linen fabric that LL came out with a couple of years ago - a slightly lighter version of "cigar paper brown." It was a beautiful fabric, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be around anymore. The closest I could find was Harrison's Mersolair 26733 and H&S Shannon Linen in cigar solid. Both of these seem slightly less ideal since I was hoping to get a 14oz linen (more rumpling, less crinkling), and I believe these are a bit lighter

Any vote on which color would be best?

Cream/ Khaki

Blue

Tobacco/ Cigar (ideally the first two photographs)

I also thought it would be nice to get a patterned linen, maybe a houndstooth and windowpane overcheck. However, I'm also hoping to get a fresco made up soon, and thought maybe I should leave patterns to that.

If anyone has suggestions for specific books I should turn to, that would be helpful too.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go for the tobacco brown but I would go for a suit. Even if you just wear the jacket most of the time it will be nice to have the option of a suit.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would go for the tobacco brown but I would go for a suit. Even if you just wear the jacket most of the time it will be nice to have the option of a suit.

Hey Gus, nice to hear from you.

That's not a bad idea. If I decide to go with tobacco brown, I think I may actually do that.

I saw in another thread that you felt your cream linen jacket was too "precious." Do you find yourself not wearing it that much? It looked really nice to me, and I would have thought it would be really easy to wear in the summer. No?

Last edited:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like khaki would be the best bet for summer but blue is my fave. The tobacco color seems like it would be hard to match or coordinate with other colors.

G

Griffindork

I have Mina making me a tobacco linen double breasted right now. I have a fitting tomorrow and will try to take a picture. I chose tobacco because the lighter colors seemed incredibly difficult to pair with most of what I wear.
A

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with Air Force Blue linen as it seems the most versatile (this is assuming you want to go with only one of those). Isn't Alden going to offer RAF blue linen soon? I'd get that if I were you. That said, I have tan and brown frescos that I will be making into suits, those are pretty much essential summer colors to me.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I saw in another thread that you felt your cream linen jacket was too "precious." Do you find yourself not wearing it that much? It looked really nice to me, and I would have thought it would be really easy to wear in the summer. No?

Cream is a nice look for weddings, warm weather social events, etc. However, maybe it is just me, but I always feel I need to be way too careful with cream. (i.e. getting in and out of taxis, splashes, stains, avoiding the sloppy guy with red wine, etc.).

I have a wonderful, dark, inky blue linen/cotton blend suit that I wear as both a suit and as separates and wear everywhere. The darker colors seem to disguise some of the wrinkles and I never worry about spots or stains. Because of that I frequently take it when I travel.

I suggested the brown linen suit, because, I assume you already have a blue jacket and navy suit. The brown would give you some variety and we will be seeing a lot more browns and earth tones over the next few years in fashion. I think a houndstooth would be very attractive especially worn as separates. With MIna, she will want to give you pockets with flaps on a suit. If you want patch pockets (I would) be sure to tell her that you want to wear the jacket separately and then she may give in :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Seems like khaki would be the best bet for summer but blue is my fave. The tobacco color seems like it would be hard to match or coordinate with other colors.

I was planning to wear it with lightweight wool trousers in various shades of grey, maybe even a navy wool. I also have some navy and khaki chinos that I thought could go with this. I agree, however, that a khaki sport coat seems better with these combinations, but I thought maybe tobacco linen would be easier to keep spotless (and look more unique).

I have Mina making me a tobacco linen double breasted right now. I have a fitting tomorrow and will try to take a picture. I chose tobacco because the lighter colors seemed incredibly difficult to pair with most of what I wear.
A

A photo would be really appreciated! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the cloth?

I'd go with Air Force Blue linen as it seems the most versatile (this is assuming you want to go with only one of those). Isn't Alden going to offer RAF blue linen soon? I'd get that if I were you. That said, I have tan and brown frescos that I will be making into suits, those are pretty much essential summer colors to me.

Yes, Alden has some RAF blue linen. I think it's the second LL linen. I leaned towards khaki and tobacco only because I already have three navy jackets (though none in summer fabrics) and, as you said, tan and brown seem like essential summer colors. Something about walking outside on a very hot, sunny day in a tan jacket seems more appealing than navy. From the vote count, however, it seems like I'm in the minority position on this one.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Get the cigar, make it up as a suit. Get the jacket 3 button 2, hip patches, barchetta breast, double edge stitched, and single button cuff.

It's what you wanted in the first place. Enjoy that emotion and don't poll yourself out of it. You already have three navy jackets, one of which I assume can be pressed into evening service if needed during the summer.

The suit will be elegant, versatile with necktie or without. The jacket will work with more things that you might think...but, in either case, only in the summer or a place with summer year round.

If you decide that you could use one of the other colors...well, get that made in the future.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Get the cigar, make it up as a suit. Get the jacket 3 button 2, hip patches, barchetta breast, double edge stitched, and single button cuff.
It's what you wanted in the first place. Enjoy that emotion and don't poll yourself out of it. You already have three navy jackets, one of which I assume can be pressed into evening service if needed during the summer.
The suit will be elegant, versatile with necktie or without. The jacket will work with more things that you might think...but, in either case, only in the summer or a place with summer year round.
If you decide that you could use one of the other colors...well, get that made in the future.

This.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks, FC.

Do you think a 10oz linen would be too light? I was hoping for something heavier. If you have any suggestions for where to get good linen, that would be appreciated as well. So far I've been looking at Harrison, W Bill, H&S, and JG Hardy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads